The Student Room Group

Another A level choice thread...

Hey

Sorry for posting another A level choice thread but I am currently chooising my options for my A levels. I would like your opinion please :smile:.

I am thinking of taking:

Maths w/ Statistics
Geography
Biology
ICT or History

I enjoy all of these subjects and I would like to go to university in the future for a degree in either Geography, Maths ,ICT or a combinatation of them.

Are these options the right ones?
Are they too difficult as in workload?
Shall I take History or ICT?

Any help if greatly appreciated....

Thanks.
Reply 1
If you are considering going on to a do a Maths degree then you will almost certainly have to do further maths (if aiming for top 20/30).

They are good subjects for a Geography degree, but the workload of doing both Geography and History might be quite heavy (I don't do either so wait until someone else comes along to correct me.)

Again, to do a computer related degree then Maths is useful, but ICT will never be required for a top university course, they are more likely to want Maths or Physics.

They are a solid set, I would choose History over ICT though because ICT can be considered a soft subject, you can probably teach yourself the content of the A-level course and more by reading a few books if you know your way round a computer.

Any questions just ask, I've been a bit vague with my answers but let me know if you have any more :P
Reply 2
i do mechanics and stats, and i find mechanics a lot more interesting tbh, thought about that?
other then that, agree with the person above, ict is quite a soft option i think.
also i know loads of people who do geography and history and they seem to be coping absolutely fine
Original post by Alex0619

Hey

Sorry for posting another A level choice thread but I am currently chooising my options for my A levels. I would like your opinion please :smile:.

I am thinking of taking:

Maths w/ Statistics
Geography
Biology
ICT or History

I enjoy all of these subjects and I would like to go to university in the future for a degree in either Geography, Maths ,ICT or a combinatation of them.

Thanks.

In order to keep your options open:

Geography, History, Maths, Further Maths.

That's what I would personally do. How much do you take an interest in ICT?
Reply 4
ICT tends to be regarded as a soft subject, so Computing may be a better substitute. Other than that, looks awesome bro!
Reply 5
True indeed, ICT is definitely considered 'soft', and to do Maths at uni you need further maths. History is awesome :smile:
Original post by im so academic
In order to keep your options open:

Geography, History, Maths, Further Maths.

That's what I would personally do. How much do you take an interest in ICT?

Another vote for this combination
Reply 7
I am now thinking of taking Geography, Biology, Maths and History.

I have a strong interest in ICT but many of you are saying that it is a 'soft option.
Reply 8
I am now thinking of taking Geography, Biology, Maths and History.

I have a strong interest in ICT but many of you are saying that it is a 'soft option.

I took ICT unfortunately...

It isn't very interesting and once you take it, you can see why it is seen as a soft option. Don't regret not taking it, you will not be missing out on much. :smile:
Original post by YingYang
I took ICT unfortunately...

It isn't very interesting and once you take it, you can see why it is seen as a soft option. Don't regret not taking it, you will not be missing out on much. :smile:

What does the ICT course involve?
Reply 10
Original post by superxo2
What does the ICT course involve?

Well I am with OCR, in AS 40% is coursework; this typically involves doing a number of tasks involving things like databases, making logos (yes I am serious), spreadsheets etc. But a lot of time is spent annotating how you did it, as this is where the marks lie.

60% is theory, which focuses on everything around a computer - data, applications etc. Don't get me wrong it can be fun some of the stuff, but it gets very monotonous.
Reply 11
Original post by YingYang
Well I am with OCR, in AS 40% is coursework; this typically involves doing a number of tasks involving things like databases, making logos (yes I am serious), spreadsheets etc. But a lot of time is spent annotating how you did it, as this is where the marks lie.

60% is theory, which focuses on everything around a computer - data, applications etc. Don't get me wrong it can be fun some of the stuff, but it gets very monotonous.

Are there no exams? My school uses OCR and its the Applied ICT course. Aparrently the exam is very hard :frown:
Reply 12
Are there no exams? My school uses OCR and its the Applied ICT course. Aparrently the exam is very hard :frown:

Theory = exam = 60%
Reply 13
I have decided to take History instead of ICT. Will I regret this? :smile:
Reply 14
I have decided to take History instead of ICT. Will I regret this? :smile:

No!! :smile: History A-Level is awesome
Hey

I am thinking of taking:

Maths w/ Statistics
Geography
Biology
ICT or History

Thanks.

This document may help:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russell-group-latest-news/137-2011/4746-new-guidance-on-post16-study-choices/
Hey

I am thinking of taking:

Maths w/ Statistics
Geography
Biology
ICT or History

Thanks.

Rather than 'ICT', a degree in Computing/Computer Science would be more useful. On that note, good choices would be:

Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Computing/Economics

Although, if you want to leave your options a little more open for a degree in Mathematics/Computing/Geography:

Mathematics
Further Mathematics - if you wanted to take a Mathematics degree, this is pretty much a requirement for [Russell Group] universities.
Physics
Geography

Quick Reply

Latest