The Student Room Group

Help!!!

Rite this is meant to be food chemistry but is basically biology and I dont do biologyu and the offd chemistry book doesnt say nethign about the questions. Can a biologist please help!

1) Draw the structures of two dipeptides whuch can be formed by condensing lysine and glycine. Clearly indicate the peptide linkages, showing all bonds

2)Describe and state the bonds present in the secondary structure of a protein

3) State two types of bond responsible for the maintenance of the tertiary structure of a protein

4) Explain what, in dietary terms, is eman by an essential amino acid

Damn the food science option that my schl amke me do I thought i had given up bio 4 gd!!!!! Ne help appreciated!
Reply 1
rpotter
Rite this is meant to be food chemistry but is basically biology and I dont do biologyu and the offd chemistry book doesnt say nethign about the questions. Can a biologist please help!

1) Draw the structures of two dipeptides whuch can be formed by condensing lysine and glycine. Clearly indicate the peptide linkages, showing all bonds

2)Describe and state the bonds present in the secondary structure of a protein

3) State two types of bond responsible for the maintenance of the tertiary structure of a protein

4) Explain what, in dietary terms, is eman by an essential amino acid

Damn the food science option that my schl amke me do I thought i had given up bio 4 gd!!!!! Ne help appreciated!

1) Can't really draw the structures...

2) Secondary structure has hydrogen bonds between the H in N-H and the O on the C=O of another amino acid in the polypetide chain, which leads to the formation of alpha helicies and beta-sheets.

3) Ionic bonds, Disulphide bridges

4) Essential amino acid is one that isn't synthesised naturally by the body and so you must obtain it from food

Hope that helps, Revenged!
Reply 2

NH3+
|
CH2
|
CH2
|
CH2
|
H O H CH2
| || | |
NH3+----C-----C-----N-----C------COO-
| |
H H

Glycine-Lysine Dipeptide

Sorry its a bit off, but I think you can tell where I meant to put things on that. Also I haven't shown all the bonds, but I thought you could do that :wink:

Just switch them round for Lysine-Glycine
Reply 3
Thanks so much guys, hu wud have thought i wud eva need the help of biologists :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending