The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 11 Edexcel - Solutions and Paper in the first post (Now On) + TIPS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yeah gonna attend this exam. (: I generally like doing them, but i havent done any intensive practices yet. Soo... yuh.
Original post by anshul95
Well I was helping someone the other day on the OCR syllabus (not MEI) for the
C3 Jan 2010 paper. Although it had some C4 edexcel in it, it had some great C3 questions. They weren't particularly hard but they were worded differently to what we would get for Edexcel.

care to post the paper...? I wanna try it:smile:
Reply 63
I'm not feeling good about this. Flicked through some past papers and I really have very little idea how to answer these queations.

I have a week to rectify this, are there any particular topics which make up the bulk of the exam questions? Like differentiation and integration in C2. Which chapters in the Edexcel text book should I be looking to master?
Reply 64
Original post by 1Unit1
I'm not feeling good about this. Flicked through some past papers and I really have very little idea how to answer these queations.

I have a week to rectify this, are there any particular topics which make up the bulk of the exam questions? Like differentiation and integration in C2. Which chapters in the Edexcel text book should I be looking to master?

Well C3 is an exam where you have a nice mixture of all the questions from each chapter and no specific chapter dominates. However I strongly recommend 'mastering' Trig, Logs and exponentials and Differentiation.
Original post by anshul95
here they are then

went through it and isn't particularly hard(the stuff we need to know for edexcel)
Reply 66
Shall have this exam raped
Reply 67
Original post by jam277
Yeah get the hard questions infact solomon press ones if you can. I'll find some hard ones as well. Gonna aim for at least 94 so I beat my other modules.

do you know where i could get them papers i really need them :frown::frown: C3 i need like 90UMS
Original post by mir3a
Shall have this exam raped

hard
Reply 69
Original post by TobeTheHero
went through it and isn't particularly hard(the stuff we need to know for edexcel)

I never said it was a lot harder - just they asked the questions in a different way.
Reply 70
Original post by jam277

Original post by jam277
You're right it is actually simple just a bit of identities, it took me a long time to do this. This would be the question I'm bogged on for most of the exam.
dx/dy=sec^2(y)
dy/dx=1/sec^2(y)
dy/dx=1/tan^2(y)+1
dy/dx=1/x^2+1
I need to get better at identities I only know cos^2+sin^2=1 and I convert from that.
What year was that paper?

it was in Jan 2010 paper. i spent my last 20min in this question, but couldn't solve it.
Reply 71
Original post by darpan_r
it was in Jan 2010 paper. i spent my last 20min in this question, but couldn't solve it.

Oh ok. They never showed me how to do a question like that. My teachers are so unreliable.
Reply 72
Original post by Patelios
do you know where i could get them papers i really need them :frown::frown: C3 i need like 90UMS

I'll send them to you. They're on my school website, the school didn't even tell us about them.
Reply 73
Hey guys

Can someone help me on a few questions. All from June 2006.

Question 6. b). I don't get it at all.
Question 7. a). The graph of g(x). I got the point (k, 0), not (k/2, 0).
Question 8. a).

Thanks.
Reply 74
Original post by M_I
Hey guys

Question 8. a).

Thanks.

For 6 b) look at cosec^4(x) - cot^4(x). Factorise it first..
[cosec^2(x) + cot^2(x)] multiplied by [cosec^2(x) - cot^2(x)]

rearrange identity cot^2(x) + 1 = cosec^2(x) and you get the second bracket to equal 1..
therefore cosec^4(x) - cot^4(x) is equivalent to [cosec^2(x) + cot^2(x)] which is the right hand side.

I'll do the other two in a minute? :biggrin:
Hope that helps..
Reply 75
Original post by M_I
Hey guys

Question 8. a).

Thanks.

As far as 7 a) is concerned, you need to set 2x-k (all in a modulus) = 0.
from there you solve it to find x, which is x=k/2

I hope that helps,
sorry if I sound patronising,
it's difficult to explain it on a computer :biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by M_I
Hey guys

Question 8. a).

Thanks.

8 a) So like, you know what CosA is, so you can find sinA by using a triangle..
So you'd do CosA = Adj/Hyp. You know these two values, so therefore you can work out what the missing one is, the Opposite of the angle A. (you do this by rearranging pythagorus, a^2 + b^2 = c^2)
you should get the opposite to equal root7.
in the question it says the angle A is between 270 and 360.. therefore sinA MUST be negative. (CAST diagram and/or general sinx graph)
therefore sinA = opp/hyp.. so sinA = root7/4, but because it's negative it would be..
sinA = -root7/4

so sin2A = 2sinAcosA,
therefore sin2A = -2(root7/4)x(3/4), which comes to -3root7/8

Good luck on Monday and I hope this helped.
Freddie :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Patelios

Sorry I tried emailing it to you but the file won't attach.
Reply 78
Original post by Freddo:)
8 a) So like, you know what CosA is, so you can find sinA by using a triangle..
So you'd do CosA = Adj/Hyp. You know these two values, so therefore you can work out what the missing one is, the Opposite of the angle A. (you do this by rearranging pythagorus, a^2 + b^2 = c^2)
you should get the opposite to equal root7.
in the question it says the angle A is between 270 and 360.. therefore sinA MUST be negative. (CAST diagram and/or general sinx graph)
therefore sinA = opp/hyp.. so sinA = root7/4, but because it's negative it would be..
sinA = -root7/4

so sin2A = 2sinAcosA,
therefore sin2A = -2(root7/4)x(3/4), which comes to -3root7/8

Good luck on Monday and I hope this helped.
Freddie :smile:

Thanks so much. Mainly silly mistakes.

For question 7, I drew y=2x and then y=2x - k (i shifted it to the right, but that would be y= (2x + k) right?)
Reply 79
Original post by M_I
Thanks so much. Mainly silly mistakes.

For question 7, I drew y=2x and then y=2x - k (i shifted it to the right, but that would be y= (2x + k) right?)

no wait, the 'k' part you're talking about there is a movement downwards by 'k'.
i.e. f(x) = 2x, so what you're doing there is saying f(x) -k, which is not the same as a horizontal shift, in which you'd be doing f(x+k) to get that shift in the <--- x direction.
I see what you're saying, but I think you're confusing the two..
Because there'll still be a value of x for when y=0 if you shift y= 2x downwards by k, if you see what I'm saying.
It's hard to explain!! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending