The Student Room Group

Mass Effect Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Kotaku
The soothing sounds of Clint Mansell will accompany BioWare's Mass Effect 3 later this year. Who's that? The longtime Darren Aronofsky collaborator who's scored films like The Fountain, Black Swan and Requiem For A Dream.

Mansell's work can also be heard in sci-fi fodder like Duncan Jones' excellent Moon and the big screen adaptation of id Software's Doom. But his most recognizable work may be "Lux Aeterna," the theme from Requiem For A Dream used again and again as go-to dramatic music.

The composer tells The Quietus "with something like Mass Effect you're more like a DJ, with all these elements."

"You've got the holding pattern, then the big explosion where you need the score to kick in," he explains. "Then you need to take it off on a tangent. You've got all these different elements that change depending on what the player does. You have to figure out an overall symphony, but be able to break it down into component parts. You can bring the pain when required."

Not feeling any pain, it seems, is former Mass Effect maestro Jack Wall. He tells Eurogamer that it was "time for a change" and that he still has a great relationship with developer BioWare.

:coma::coma::coma:
(edited 13 years ago)
Just finished my second playthrough as an infiltrator. Started it off on Hardcore, but then soon realised that it was going to be tough (like on freedom's progress), then got further and decided to tone down the difficulty.

Started my third playthrough as a soldier. I now snipe enemies from afar and shotgun the ones that come close whilst my entire squad is down.

Soldiers are seriously overpowered.
cambo211
x

Why did you not tell me about this before? :hmmm:

Mass Effect was amazing. Mass Effect 2 is, definitively, the best game in history.

I object to this society's avatar. Shepard is not male.

This is Shepard:

Reply 83
Need to import my Female Biotic over and do another insanity run :holmes:
Reply 84
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Just finished my second playthrough as an infiltrator. Started it off on Hardcore, but then soon realised that it was going to be tough (like on freedom's progress), then got further and decided to tone down the difficulty.

Started my third playthrough as a soldier. I now snipe enemies from afar and shotgun the ones that come close whilst my entire squad is down.

Soldiers are seriously overpowered.

Try playing as a Vanguard. You Charge into the enemies and blast them with a shotgun. That's lethal.
Reply 85
I like infiltrator.

It was the second easiest insanity run behind soldier.
I've never liked playing a biotic. Apart from anything else, it doesn't fit into the story, and so breaks immersion for me.
Reply 87
Original post by Jace Falco
I've never liked playing a biotic. Apart from anything else, it doesn't fit into the story, and so breaks immersion for me.

How do you work that one out?
Original post by Hylean
How do you work that one out?

Okay, so you're playing an adept. You talk to Kaidan, all about his time on Jump Zero, etc. Never a mention that you, Shepard, are a biotic as well - a more powerful one, in fact, since he's only a sentinel. No mention of the fact that you've got L2s or L3s or whatever. Biotics get specific treatment - there is never any mention of Shepard being anything other than an above average soldier. In my view, that means that only combat or tech powers suit the character.

There's a bit more of an excuse for it in ME2, since it's plausible that Cerberus could have exposed Shepard to eezo as they were rebuilding her, but she gets no training as a biotic, so if she wasn't one before she died (which, as I've just pointed out, I don't think fits) then she shouldn't be able to use her biotics reliably.
I've always played through as male apart from once :colondollar:
My one female character looked like someone out of desperate housewives and it just put me off doing it again...
Reply 90
Okay, so you're playing an adept. You talk to Kaidan, all about his time on Jump Zero, etc. Never a mention that you, Shepard, are a biotic as well - a more powerful one, in fact, since he's only a sentinel. No mention of the fact that you've got L2s or L3s or whatever. Biotics get specific treatment - there is never any mention of Shepard being anything other than an above average soldier. In my view, that means that only combat or tech powers suit the character.

There's a bit more of an excuse for it in ME2, since it's plausible that Cerberus could have exposed Shepard to eezo as they were rebuilding her, but she gets no training as a biotic, so if she wasn't one before she died (which, as I've just pointed out, I don't think fits) then she shouldn't be able to use her biotics reliably.

True, but you could have that argument with every set of abilities, ultimately. Shepherd's back story isn't explored for obvious reasons, so Shepherd's real story is always going to be at odds with what happens in the games.
Original post by chemical_bex
I've always played through as male apart from once :colondollar:
My one female character looked like someone out of desperate housewives and it just put me off doing it again...

Jennifer Hale is so much better than Mark Meer.

Original post by Hylean
True, but you could have that argument with every set of abilities, ultimately. Shepherd's back story isn't explored for obvious reasons, so Shepherd's real story is always going to be at odds with what happens in the games.

I disagree. Canon says that Shepard is a soldier, so that's the easiest to pass off. Tech abilities aren't anything particularly special. Biotics, however, are like the ME equivalent of magic in the Dragon Age world. You have to go off for training when you're a kid. People treat you differently, look at you oddly. I mean, there's that whole biotic commune sidequest, and the terrorist group fighting for biotic rights. Being a biotic really sets you apart in the Mass Effect universe, and yet a biotic Shepard is treated no differently to a soldier Shepard.

I think I recall Shepard's biotic implants being mentioned actually, not sure where though. In my opinion it's far from impossible that "average soldier" Shepard could have been a biotic. Anyway, it's more fun :ahee:
Original post by dnumberwang
I think I recall Shepard's biotic implants being mentioned actually, not sure where though. In my opinion it's far from impossible that "average soldier" Shepard could have been a biotic. Anyway, it's more fun :ahee:

The only mention of biotic implants I remember are when speaking to Kaidan, or when creating a biotic character in ME2.

Also, I said 'above average'.
Also, I said 'above average'.

My point still stands
Reply 95
Infiltrator's where it's at.
Original post by cambo211
Infiltrator's where it's at.

Yeah, tbh :pierre:

:daydreaming:

It's incredible that I'm sat here on YouTube listening to tracks I was subjected to for hours and hours, say when mining. There are very few games that could pull that kind of shizzle off - usually I'd be sick to the back teeth of them! I don't think a soundtrack has pulled me in this much since Final Fantasy X graced my ears :love:

The ME2 Suicide Mission theme is also quite incredible. I won't post it though to prevent the spoiling of spoilers.
Reply 98

Happy Valentines Day and all that crap.
Reply 99
Original post by Illusionary
And there was me thinking I'd have a clear run at Mass Effect 2 now that I've finally completed Heavy Rain and AC:B... :sigh:

Still, good news I suppose, and it'll give me a reason to go back and (try to) get myself a platinum trophy! :biggrin:

Have you started it yet?

Quick Reply

Latest