The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick students vs. Oxbridge students

Its pretty indisputable that, for most subjects, the standard of Oxbridge's teaching is superior to that of Warwick. But how do Warwick students compare (intelligence-wise) to those at Oxbridge? Generally, are they nowhere near as smart, almost as smart, as smart, or even slightly smarter?

P.S. More interested in those who know people at both Warwick AND Oxbridge rather than just one, otherwise it'll just give a skewed perspective on the matter.

Scroll to see replies

I'd imagine that Oxbridge students are far more intelligent than Warwick students. There are some worryingly thick people studying here.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I have degrees from both Warwick and Oxford and I'd say they're about the same. My sense of it is that you have a higher proportion of unconventional people at Warwick and a higher proportion of workoholics at Oxford but in both places the students are pretty serious about it all. There may be some exceptions - there are a coulle of Warwick degrees with lower standards which may not attract the brightest students - but for mainstream stuff I'd say there's not much to choose.
Reply 3
Original post by megaduck
I have degrees from both Warwick and Oxford and I'd say they're about the same. My sense of it is that you have a higher proportion of unconventional people at Warwick and a higher proportion of workoholics at Oxford but in both places the students are pretty serious about it all. There may be some exceptions - there are a coulle of Warwick degrees with lower standards which may not attract the brightest students - but for mainstream stuff I'd say there's not much to choose.

Since people who have done degrees at both are hard to come by, can i ask you how the teaching style differs? Obviously Oxford is tutorials and lectures; how does warwick work? And do you think that Oxford is drastically better in this respect?

Which subjects did you do at each? I'm applying for History.

P.S. Out of curiosity, which did you enjoy more?
(edited 13 years ago)
If they do maths, there's a good chance that they are cleverer than the Oxford guys, at least.

Otherwise, I've never find a Oxbridge student I couldn't keep up with. Obviously they're clever, but between the top unis everyone is.

Unless it's a sociologist, they're all morons.
Reply 5
Original post by Callum828
If they do maths, there's a good chance that they are cleverer than the Oxford guys, at least.

Otherwise, I've never find a Oxbridge student I couldn't keep up with. Obviously they're clever, but between the top unis everyone is.

Unless it's a sociologist, they're all morons.

*I've never found

Well now you've found a KCL student you can't keep up with...

Sorry couldn't resist :tongue:
In the nicest possible way, surely most people who are intelligent enough to get in to oxbridge would go there, and not to warwick?

for gods sake, at least have the balls to argue and dont just give me neg rep and run away
(edited 13 years ago)

How so?
Original post by megaduck

aha in my experience here in cambridge i'd say we do everything we possibly can to avoid work, guess this might change a bit in 3rd and 4th years though
Original post by RupertTheBear
How so?

It's been the best maths department outside of Oxbridge for a while, and recently took over Oxford in the league tables. It's also the pickiest department at the university by a long shot. In short, Warwick maths guys are damn clever.
It's been the best maths department outside of Oxbridge for a while, and recently took over Oxford in the league tables. It's also the pickiest department at the university by a long shot. In short, Warwick maths guys are damn clever.

I'd really like to know how many of them had Oxbridge as their 1st choice...
Original post by lalaberlin

Im at warwick and about half of my friends at warwick do maths or maths/phys. Warwick was the first choice for all of the, one girl was accepted into cambridge but declined in favour of warwick.

and to whoever said why would anyone clever enough choose warwick over oxbridge - i guess its just personal preference at the end of the day, i was an oxbridge potential according to my college but didnt fancy it and fell in love with warwick when i looked round. at the end of the day, there isnt a lot to pick and choose between them so you may as well go on personal preference!
Original post by lalaberlin

None that I've met. I know loads of arts students that applied for Oxbridge first though. As a rule, Warwick has less Oxbridge rejects than Durham, Bristol etc, because they all follow the Oxbridge model, whereas Warwick doesn't at all.
Original post by screenager2004
I'd imagine that Oxbridge students are far more intelligent than Warwick students. There are some worryingly thick people studying here.

I won't be applying for Warwick then.

In terms of intelligence, OP, Oxbridge students >>>>>>>>>>>> Warwick students. Face it, they are the crème de la crème of the undergraduates in Britain (generally speaking, there are some exceptions like LSE Economics and to stay true to this thread, Warwick Maths).
Reply 14
About the same. Really the dividing point between people who get into Oxbridge and those who don't is 1 to 1.5 hours of interview. If at 18 you think 1.5 hours is going to define someones intelligence, you are pretty delusional.
Original post by paella

Original post by paella
About the same. Really the dividing point between people who get into Oxbridge and those who don't is 1 to 1.5 hours of interview. If at 18 you think 1.5 hours is going to define someones intelligence, you are pretty delusional.

What other system do you propose then? Just UCAS application?

Remember, Oxbridge also uses entrance tests, submitted written work etc in conjunction with the interview.
Reply 16
Original post by im so academic
What other system do you propose then? Just UCAS application?

Remember, Oxbridge also uses entrance tests, submitted written work etc in conjunction with the interview.

Not for engineering
Reply 17
Original post by Watch Out For Sharks
In the nicest possible way, surely most people who are intelligent enough to get in to oxbridge would go there, and not to warwick?

for gods sake, at least have the balls to argue and dont just give me neg rep and run away

Some people don't care about OXbridge, or think that their networking oppertunities are going to be better at Warwick. No point going to Oxford if the people you graduate with end up as public school teachers or peniless novelists, and you won't get into the going to be super rich crowd there unless you have super rich parents or went to x or y school (unless you are a genius).

In the real world, no one is going to think 'well he didn't go to Oxford' if you have a 1st in an academic degree from Warwick.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 04smitht

Original post by 04smitht
Not for engineering

My statement is true - they do use entrance tests/written work.

Obviously not for all, but generally they do.

Either way, an interview + UCAS is better than UCAS alone.
Reply 19
Original post by paella
Some people don't care about OXbridge, or think that their networking oppertunities are going to be better at Warwick. No point going to Oxford if the people you graduate with end up as public school teachers or peniless novelists, and you won't get into the going to be super rich crowd there unless you have super rich parents or went to x or y school (unless you are a genius).

Hmm, lot's of people just like the whole package though. I wanted it for the teaching, the college, the societies and the tradition. (PretentiousLAD)

Quick Reply

Latest