The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Imperial for Engineering?

Hi,

I have received an offer to study Engineering from both Cambridge and Imperial (Electrical). The offer is the same to get an A in Further Maths. The difference is that Cambridge requires me to get a gap year. When I will graduate school I will be 17 years old.
I need your advise what to choose.
Imperial starting October 2011 ( I will be 17 years old) or Cambridge starting October 2012 (I will be 18 years old)?
Reply 1
wait until your 18, you will enjoy it much more as people around you will be 18 oppose to when you 17 and you wont be able to get into clubs etc...

I would choose imperial (personal preference), i would defer imperial offer and enjoy a year of life doing not much at all :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kyriakop
Hi,

I have received an offer to study Engineering from both Cambridge and Imperial (Electrical). The offer is the same to get an A in Further Maths. The difference is that Cambridge requires me to get a gap year. When I will graduate school I will be 17 years old.
I need your advise what to choose.
Imperial starting October 2011 ( I will be 17 years old) or Cambridge starting October 2012 (I will be 18 years old)?

Will you have to pay the more expensive fees next year?

And would you be happy taking a gap year? Could you do something fun / productive?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by grovichik
Will you have to pay the more expensive fees next year?

And would you be happy taking a gap year? Could you do something fun / productive?

Why wouldn't he:confused:?
Reply 4
Original post by ViralRiver
Why wouldn't he:confused:?

Be happy to take a gap year? or pay more expensive fees? Gap years might not be everyone's cup of tea...I don't think I could start academic work again v easily if I took a break from it. And if he is international/falls into lowest income bracket then fees won't change...
Reply 5
i'd go to imperial
Reply 6
Imperial purely because of the mindblowing 36k you'll be paying. If it wasn't for that I'd say take the gap year and go cambridge.
Reply 7
Original post by Fat-Love
Imperial purely because of the mindblowing 36k you'll be paying. If it wasn't for that I'd say take the gap year and go cambridge.

yip i think i agree. imperial is supposed to be a really great uni and you'll have plenty to do in London :-)
Reply 8
Thanks for your advise so far.
In my decision I have to take into consideration the following
1. I have a scholarship and thus the increase of tuition will not influence me.
2. During the gap year I have the possibilty to work in the technical department of a broadcasting company, thus I will gain experience in the field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Reply 9
2. During the gap year I have the possibilty to work in the technical department of a broadcasting company, thus I will gain experience in the field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Sounds good, I'd pick Cambridge then because the work exp. will be really useful.
Reply 10

Ah...maybe c'bridge then...it depends how you feel about taking a year out really....what you've mentioned doing could be v useful :-)
Cambridge. Better uni, and starting at 18 is better than starting at 17, and a year of work experience and CV gloss would be very nice indeed.
Reply 12
Scholarship? gap year work? okay then go to cambridge definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest