The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What are Notts students like?

I saw a thread about this in Warwick and I would like to know the same about Nottingham.

I keep hearing these things about it being full of 'rahs', is this really true? And if it is true, I don't know any 'rahs' so wouldn't know if being one generally means you aren't a nice person?

Scroll to see replies

It is only possible to avoid them if you spend your whole 3 years at Nottingham with your eyes closed. Another possible alternative to avoiding them is to lock yourself in your room. There are loads of rahs at Nottingham. Rah's Stans for rich a** holes, so they are generally considered to be not nice people by those who arent rahs.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 3
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
It is only possible to avoid them if you spend your whole 3 years at Nottingham with your eyes closed. Another possible alternative to avoiding them is to lock yourself in your room. There are loads of rahs at Nottingham. Rah's Stans for rich a** holes, so they are generally considered to be not nice people by those who arent rahs.

Lovely :/ Are you at Notts?
Sure im matriculated there. studied there for 2 and a half years so far.
Reply 5
Sure im matriculated there. studied there for 2 and a half years so far.

Oh right. Ugh, I was reading an article for the student magazine, Impact, which made fun of the amount of people wearing ugg boots at Nottingham, sounds petty but it HAS put me off.
Yes, that was in one of the links I posted. Youll meet all sorts of people at uni, there will be people with ugg boots at whichever uni you attend. But youll be able to make friends with lots of non-rahs.
Reply 7
Dang this thread. Why couldn't those rahs go to Durham or Bristol or something?

How bad are they? Are they small-minded? Willing to integrate with us, the cooler people?
Reply 8
Original post by FoSho'
Dang this thread. Why couldn't those rahs go to Durham or Bristol or something?

How bad are they? Are they small-minded? Willing to integrate with us, the cooler people?

I think they go there as well. Starting to spread across the country. Join me in worrying about the level of them at Nottingham! Lol.
Reply 9
Original post by impossible!
I think they go there as well. Starting to spread across the country. Join me in worrying about the level of them at Nottingham! Lol.

I'm not worrying toooo much tbh. There are many more "rahs" at Durham/Exeter/Bristol and whatnot so I'm sure there'll be more than enough cool people to mix with. Wishful thinking paha. :redface:
Reply 10
god i hope there arent loads
nottingham will be my firm if i get an offer (English/Art History- woo XD) an somehow i don't think my broad scouse accent will help me deal with them if theres so many... :frown:

anyone know if there are more rahs on specific types of courses?
Reply 11
Original post by talulah4
god i hope there arent loads
nottingham will be my firm if i get an offer (English/Art History- woo XD) an somehow i don't think my broad scouse accent will help me deal with them if theres so many... :frown:

anyone know if there are more rahs on specific types of courses?

English/Art History sounds like a pretty rahtastic course, but that's just my opinion. Let's hope I'm wrong as I hear there's only 2 of ya on your course? :eek:

Anyone know if any one accomm is less rahish than the others?
cheaper accomodation has less rahs. the catered halls on up campus have a higher % of rahs if they have a higher % of rooms that are ensuite or 1 bathroom between 2. But you cant chose between halls now anyway. Even if you choose the 1 bathroom between 6 people, you are still going to be rubbing shoulders with rahs in your hall life anyway. Dont worry about it, rahs wont hassle you directly (they are more scared of you, than you are of them) and wherever you live/study, you'll be able to find many non-rahs
Reply 13
Guys, at least we know if everyone we meet there is a rah, we have each other!
Reply 15
Oh right. Ugh, I was reading an article for the student magazine, Impact, which made fun of the amount of people wearing ugg boots at Nottingham, sounds petty but it HAS put me off.

Seriously, don't get suckered in by the troll above. Notts students are absolutely fine. Go to Nottingham.
Seriously, you will find rahs in Nottingham as you'll find rahs in Durham, Birmingham, Cambridge, Southampton, or wherever.

If you don't like "rahs" then you don't have to hang around with them, much like you don't have to hang around with any other group.

There are 35k students in uni of Notts alone - you will find anyone and everyone, from rahs to skydivers, from emos to cake decorators. Don't generalise :p:
Reply 17

...you're at Trent, aren't you.

There are very few rahs in UoN. I can only think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head that I've met so far in my year and a half here. Nothing to worry about imo.
Reply 18
Guys, at least we know if everyone we meet there is a rah, we have each other!

Ha, precisely what I was thinking. We'll start our own crew. :cool: I'm down wid dat
Rah's, Chav's, black, whites, gay and straights. Your going to find judgemental hard to approach people from every side of the 'divide'. Try to do what everyone else should be doing and become friends with whoever you naturally bond with. Rich or poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending