The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry unit 4 discussion- 26/01/11

hmm, maybe I am blind but I am yet to find a thread for Edexcel chemistry people :smile:
am the only one doing this god-forsaken course. I hate the spec and am currently epically failing at my revision for unit four, which I believe is on the 24th? or maybe it is the 26th?

how are other people doing? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it. Are you doing an early entry for it? I feel sorry for you if you are...We haven't even finished Unit 4 yet.
Reply 2
Original post by tehsponge
I'm doing it. Are you doing an early entry for it? I feel sorry for you if you are...We haven't even finished Unit 4 yet.

it seems maybe you and me are the only ones on TSR doing this beastly exam :biggrin:
nope, we presumed everyone does the unit 4 exam in jan, and then unit 5 in june. when is your exam gonna be then?
also, we haven't finished out course either, the snow didn't help matters, so basically me and my class are s c r e w e d :eek:
Reply 3
Original post by Mally-xo
it seems maybe you and me are the only ones on TSR doing this beastly exam :biggrin:
nope, we presumed everyone does the unit 4 exam in jan, and then unit 5 in june. when is your exam gonna be then?
also, we haven't finished out course either, the snow didn't help matters, so basically me and my class are s c r e w e d :eek:

I'm actually finding Unit 4 alright, but the exam questions are just bitchy. Doing Unit 4 in June.
Reply 4
I'm actually finding Unit 4 alright, but the exam questions are just bitchy. Doing Unit 4 in June.

ugh you are lucky. you must be a genius! me and my entire class are like 'wtf' :confused: doesn't help that we have been taught by like ten different teachers lol. there are just so many topics, you have all the organic shiz, then acids and bases, then rates, then enthalpy/entropy and all the mass spectrometry/chromatography/infrared/nmr.
oh right, so you are doing both unit 4 and unit 5 in june? that is gonna be pretty hardcore.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
ugh you are lucky. you must be a genius! me and my entire class are like 'wtf' :confused: doesn't help that we have been taught by like ten different teachers lol. there are just so many topics, you have all the organic shiz, then acids and bases, then rates, then enthalpy/entropy and all the mass spectrometry/chromatography/infrared/nmr.
oh right, so you are doing both unit 4 and unit 5 in june? that is gonna be pretty hardcore.

Organic just comes down to memorisation tbh, I revised like crazy for an end of topic test we had and it's now pretty much seared into my brain. Rates, entropy and equilibrium are easy after loads of practice, haven't done anything on acids and bases yet though. Doing some spectroscopy stuff right now, it is quite mind bending at times.

And yeah, unit 4+5 together is going to be hell. Also have unit 4+5 of Bio in June x_x
i am doing this exam in january, with Unit 4 Bio and Unit 4 Physics

I'm pretty much certain that they are going to throw in a question on Chromatography considering how poorly people did in that question in the June 2010 exam.... (i read the examiners report)

Mabye it would be a good idea to start discussing things we dont really like
Reply 7
Organic just comes down to memorisation tbh, I revised like crazy for an end of topic test we had and it's now pretty much seared into my brain. Rates, entropy and equilibrium are easy after loads of practice, haven't done anything on acids and bases yet though. Doing some spectroscopy stuff right now, it is quite mind bending at times.

And yeah, unit 4+5 together is going to be hell. Also have unit 4+5 of Bio in June x_x

I understand entropy/equilibrium and acids and bases but the organic stuff is driving me mental :colone:
omg really? you are kinda lucky having so much longer to learn everything but then again you will have ****loads more revision to do in a shorter space of time.
I am doing unit 4 ocr biology in january, and then unit 5 in june. our schools do things very differently :tongue:
what is your other subject?
I am doing history as well, so I have 4 exams in jan and 3 in june. not tooooo bad.
Reply 8
Original post by chemdweeb1234
i am doing this exam in january, with Unit 4 Bio and Unit 4 Physics

I'm pretty much certain that they are going to throw in a question on Chromatography considering how poorly people did in that question in the June 2010 exam.... (i read the examiners report)

Mabye it would be a good idea to start discussing things we dont really like

hiya fellow chemist :biggrin:
I am doing biology unit 2 (resit, I need to get an A not a B again haha), biology unit 4, chemistry unit 2 (resit, I need a B :tongue: ) and this bluddy unit 4 chem.
how are you finding the course?
arghhh noooo not the dreaded chromatography, our teacher spent like ten minutes on this and told us to 'research it at home', which basically meant I sat looking at my textbook for twenty minutes, was :confused: , and then gave in haha.

well topics I particularly hate - the weird mechanism stuff with rates (SN1 and SN2 - wtf?) and chromatography.

how do you guys revise for chem? I find it so difficult to revise it :tongue:
Reply 9
hey i'm doing this exam too, the application of rates and equilibria bit seems a bit dodgy to me (probably cause we did like 1 lesson on it) :s-smilie: i'm about to start doing about a million past paper questions
I understand entropy/equilibrium and acids and bases but the organic stuff is driving me mental :colone:
omg really? you are kinda lucky having so much longer to learn everything but then again you will have ****loads more revision to do in a shorter space of time.
I am doing unit 4 ocr biology in january, and then unit 5 in june. our schools do things very differently :tongue:
what is your other subject?
I am doing history as well, so I have 4 exams in jan and 3 in june. not tooooo bad.

Revising organic is like chewing rocks...which part are you having trouble with in particular? You can always resit in June if you do badly :biggrin: I'm doing AQA Biology...ugh. My other subject is Art & Design, which is awesome because it means I only have two subjects to revise :awesome: but the amount of time I've spent on my coursework is just ridiculous. If I spent all that time on a theory based subject, I'd be a ****ing genius at it...
Do we have to know the structure/how to draw 2,4-DNP and the hydrazone product when it reacts with carbonyl compounds? My teacher seems to think we do but it's not in the textbook...
Reply 12
Revising organic is like chewing rocks...which part are you having trouble with in particular? You can always resit in June if you do badly :biggrin: I'm doing AQA Biology...ugh. My other subject is Art & Design, which is awesome because it means I only have two subjects to revise :awesome: but the amount of time I've spent on my coursework is just ridiculous. If I spent all that time on a theory based subject, I'd be a ****ing genius at it...

meh well it is more the memorising of it that I am struggling with, I have a memory like a sieve haha :tongue: especially the acyl chlorides, the little buggers.

no wayyyy, my teacher said in no circumstance would we be able to resit unit 4, she said it would be too much extra work. unit 5 looks quite manageable in comparison I think :smile:

ooh lucky you, I am doing history which means coursework too, but that is done now wahoo, and then just one exam in summer. I just wish I hadn't buggered my first year of chemistry up, I really hated it and kinda switched off, hence why I am now on a D (2 marks from a C, I'll have you know haha). what grade are you on?

what are you applying at uni for by the way, if you are applying that is!? please don't say chem, I may have to shoot you :colone:

also, about the DNP reaction thing you mentioned below your post to me, I am pretty sure we don't. I have the Edexcel specification and it isn't on there, hence I don't think we are meant to learn it :biggrin:
meh well it is more the memorising of it that I am struggling with, I have a memory like a sieve haha :tongue: especially the acyl chlorides, the little buggers.

no wayyyy, my teacher said in no circumstance would we be able to resit unit 4, she said it would be too much extra work. unit 5 looks quite manageable in comparison I think :smile:

ooh lucky you, I am doing history which means coursework too, but that is done now wahoo, and then just one exam in summer. I just wish I hadn't buggered my first year of chemistry up, I really hated it and kinda switched off, hence why I am now on a D (2 marks from a C, I'll have you know haha). what grade are you on?

what are you applying at uni for by the way, if you are applying that is!? please don't say chem, I may have to shoot you :colone:

also, about the DNP reaction thing you mentioned below your post to me, I am pretty sure we don't. I have the Edexcel specification and it isn't on there, hence I don't think we are meant to learn it :biggrin:

Unit 5 is probably worse :\
I got a B for AS, I'm resitting unit 1 next week, to try bump it up to an A. I've applied for Pharmacology, already got 4 offers woo! What about you?
Reply 14
Unit 5 is probably worse :\
I got a B for AS, I'm resitting unit 1 next week, to try bump it up to an A. I've applied for Pharmacology, already got 4 offers woo! What about you?

a B are you joking! you must be ace at chemistry, the highest anyone got in our class was like a C haha. aww good luck with your resit, I am dreading mine.
I would be so glad to get a B, it is what I need for most of my uni offers, dear lord, is gonna be a tough year lol.
ooh 4 offers, well done :biggrin: I have had 5 offers for biology (see sig haha)
righty back to revision :colone:
Good afternoon fellow chemistry peoples!
I am doing this in January, along with C3, Edexcel biology unit 4 and OCR religious ethics...
But I am finding this unit 4 chemistry really good! Actually much much easier then unit 2, but I can only put that down to better teaching and more revision.
I need an A at A2 for my offer, and I got one mark of the A at AS.... so basically need 241/300 this year to get into uni :smile:

BTW what practicals are you guys doing? Are you doing the multiple short coursework or the long extended piece?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by emilylikeeee
Good afternoon fellow chemistry peoples!
I am doing this in January, along with C3, Edexcel biology unit 4 and OCR religious ethics...
But I am finding this unit 4 chemistry really good! Actually much much easier then unit 2, but I can only put that down to better teaching and more revision.
I need an A at A2 for my offer, and I got one mark of the A at AS.... so basically need 241/300 this year to get into uni :smile:

BTW what coursework are you guys doing? Are you doing the multiple short coursework or the long extended piece?

No coursework for me, all practical exams which I need to ace! I feel that unit 4 actually has less content for some reason :s-smilie: weird I know
Original post by RD93
No coursework for me, all practical exams which I need to ace! I feel that unit 4 actually has less content for some reason :s-smilie: weird I know

Ooo sorry, I was unclear, by coursework I meant practicals :smile:

But yeah I agree, and for some reason the maths feels easier this time to me
Original post by RD93

Its got ALOT of content...

i guess if we compare it from Unit 2... Unit 4 is just the step up with the calculations added to the Kinetics and Equilibria...

With regards to chromatography ill try and post some of my notes up soon :smile:

and the SN1 and SN2 reactions, what about them?
Reply 19
Original post by chemdweeb1234
Its got ALOT of content...

i guess if we compare it from Unit 2... Unit 4 is just the step up with the calculations added to the Kinetics and Equilibria...

With regards to chromatography ill try and post some of my notes up soon :smile:

and the SN1 and SN2 reactions, what about them?

oh yeah it is a lot, but i think i find it easier to learn for some reason - probs cause there isn't any environmental or shapes of molecules and stuff :s-smilie: it's a really good module, with unit 5 set to be a lot more interesting :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending