The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry unit 4 discussion- 26/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Artie
I think we are officially screwed. Although some of it does look familiar!

Bloody hell, been trying to learn it, its a bitch!
5 proper confusing steps!
How could he just miss it out? Its huge!!??!?!!
Reply 41
tbh I doubt we have to know the five step mechanism.... i think we have to know maybe the general idea

Comon if they ask us to draw a mechanism, that question should be at least 8 marks lol
Reply 42
Original post by emilylikeeee

Someone should sue that man!!

"Oh, Im sorry guys, thats my fault. I didnt realise that Id only skimmed that part!"
Reply 43
I take it I'm not the only one looking forward to getting this exam out of the way then? :redface:
Original post by Artie
Someone should sue that man!!

"Oh, Im sorry guys, thats my fault. I didnt realise that Id only skimmed that part!"

"That part" being the whole friggin' course!
Original post by Kidms001
I take it I'm not the only one looking forward to getting this exam out of the way then? :redface:

Oh no you are not...
Last year with two modules to learn in June I struggled...
But the thought of only having the one to do this summer, its blissful :smile:
Original post by emilylikeeee

Taken directly from the spec:
I can apply a knowledge of the rate equations for the hydrolysis of halogenoalkanes to deduce the mechanisms for primary and tertiary halogenoalkane hydrolysis and to deduce the mechanism for the reaction between propanone and iodine.

I think maybe it will give us two mechanisms and ask us which one is most likely, based on the rate equations stuff. I'm gonna look at past papers later to find a question on it.
Original post by tehsponge
Taken directly from the spec:
I can apply a knowledge of the rate equations for the hydrolysis of halogenoalkanes to deduce the mechanisms for primary and tertiary halogenoalkane hydrolysis and to deduce the mechanism for the reaction between propanone and iodine.

I think maybe it will give us two mechanisms and ask us which one is most likely, based on the rate equations stuff. I'm gonna look at past papers later to find a question on it.

Ooo thank you :smile:
That takes the pressure off, as it means we don't have to fully memorise it!
Reply 48
To keep ourselves entertained, how about we move onto the addition of hydrogen cyanide? :tongue:

Then the hydrolysis of nitriles with different acids? :colone:
To keep ourselves entertained, how about we move onto the addition of hydrogen cyanide? :tongue:

Then the hydrolysis of nitriles with different acids? :colone:

Mechanism is easy enough. What's the reason you use KCN alongside with HCN?
Reply 50
Original post by tehsponge
Mechanism is easy enough. What's the reason you use KCN alongside with HCN?

How about a competition for the best Microsoft Paint mechanism then?

Also, I think the KCN provides the CN..^- nucleophiles to initiate the reaction and keep them in supply. My teacher said something about it not being as dangerous as HCN as well :tongue:
Reply 51
grrr im duin this paper too :frown:
does anyone know where to get the short notes cos ive got 387 pages of detailed notes n its just killin me to keep reading through :frown:
How about a competition for the best Microsoft Paint mechanism then?

Also, I think the KCN provides the CN..^- nucleophiles to initiate the reaction and keep them in supply. My teacher said something about it not being as dangerous as HCN as well :tongue:

Yeah

you are right

the important thing is that HCN is a weak acid...so it is only partially dissociated into ions and thus the concentration of CN- is low and thus the rate of reaction would be slow... the KCN is dissolved with the CN- to increase the [CN-] and this increases the rate of reaction

The mixture is also buffered between a pH of 4 - 5 (need to check on values) and thus is to provide the H+ ions needed for the final step as well :P
Reply 53
Original post by chemdweeb1234
Yeah

you are right

the important thing is that HCN is a weak acid...so it is only partially dissociated into ions and thus the concentration of CN- is low and thus the rate of reaction would be slow... the KCN is dissolved with the CN- to increase the [CN-] and this increases the rate of reaction

The mixture is also buffered between a pH of 4 - 5 (need to check on values) and thus is to provide the H+ ions needed for the final step as well :P

Plus rep for teaching me something that I totally missed in lessons and revision :tongue:

Spoiler

Next topic then...

Esters....How Science Works :P
Where do transfats usually arise from in hydrogenation and why are they bad and how can we overcome them?
Reply 55
Original post by chemdweeb1234
Next topic then...

Esters....How Science Works :P
Where do transfats usually arise from in hydrogenation and why are they bad and how can we overcome them?

Iirc the hydrogenation mechanism has the potential to open up double bonds and convert cis-isomers to trans-isomers, by alternating which sides the hydrogen atoms are bonded to. I don't think you need to know in depth about how they pose health risks, just know that they do. You overcome it by trans-esterification to swap any kinked fatty acid side chains with straighter ones.

Ester + Alcohol switches the alcohol part of the ester with the alcohol you are reacting it with. Someone clarify that for me?
Reply 56
anyone know when the edexcel specification changed? (if it has at all).
cause I know for my OCR biology, the first year of it was 2009.
I just want to make sure I choose past papers for the new specification :tongue:
Original post by RD93
Iirc the hydrogenation mechanism has the potential to open up double bonds and convert cis-isomers to trans-isomers, by alternating which sides the hydrogen atoms are bonded to. I don't think you need to know in depth about how they pose health risks, just know that they do. You overcome it by trans-esterification to swap any kinked fatty acid side chains with straighter ones.

Ester + Alcohol switches the alcohol part of the ester with the alcohol you are reacting it with. Someone clarify that for me?

Yea, the hydrogenation mechanism usually involving the nickel catalyst leads to PARTIAL HYDROGENATION.... this, like you said, leads to many trans-isomers.... and trans-isomers are not good for the heart.... supposed correlations between trans-fats consumption and cases of heart attacks

TRANS-ESTERIFICATION... usually using an acid catalyst is used..

I think it is Ester + Carboxylic Acid for this case... because it is not the glycerol you are trying to replace...but the unsaturated double bonded fatty acid chains...

so if you do:

ESTER + SATURATED ACID ---> NEW ESTER (with higher melting point) + UNSATURATED ACID

basically the unsaturated acids have been replaced by the saturated acids...

the ESTER + ALCOHOL reaction is used for biodiesel .... glycerol esters are too viscous... so you want more volatile esters like methyl esters...
Reply 58
I'm taking this exam. Probably should start revising at some point :s-smilie:
Original post by Mally-xo
anyone know when the edexcel specification changed? (if it has at all).
cause I know for my OCR biology, the first year of it was 2009.
I just want to make sure I choose past papers for the new specification :tongue:

It changed in 2008, so the first papers would be Jan 2009.

This site has questions from past papers:

http://www.mrev.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending