The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That's a really tough one, at first I was tempted to say they both produce a net gain in ATP, but I'm not sure if that isn't too obvious an answer. Possibly another one would be they both produce water as a metabolic bi-product of producing ATP.
Reply 2
both are neeeded for the organism to survive. photosynthesis is needed by the plant to survive and respiration is needed by animals to survive.
they both gain in ATP.
i'm not sure but do both envolve the breakdown of glucose.??? i'll check that one.
Reply 3
that's all i can find atm i'll look up my textbook tonight if you like.
Reply 4
papz_007
Simalitries between photosynthesis and respiration

i can only think of that they both require ATP

wat others are there

You might want to mention that they both use electron carriers e.g. NADP in photosynthesis and NAD in respiration. Which undergo reduction and oxidation to allow for the transfer of energy.
They both use reduced NAD and FAD as hydrogen carriers.
They both have a cycle stage? (Calvin cycle and Krebs cycle)
At some stage they both depend on gravitational potential energy to phosphorylate ATP (falling electrons in light dependant reaction and oxidative phosphorylation).
They both involve phosphorylation ADP --> ATP
Do they both involve photolysis of H20? 1/2O2+2H+2e- --> H2O
They are continuous processes... synthesising and oxidising Gluecose.
Reply 6
They both use chemiosmosis for phosphorylation of ADP
Reply 7
stratomaster
At some stage they both depend on gravitational potential energy to phosphorylate ATP (falling electrons in light dependant reaction and oxidative phosphorylation).

What the hell?

I can assure you there is no gravatational potential energy involved. If you're refering to electrons moving from a high energy state to a low energy state then that's nothing to do with gravity.
Reply 8
i think perhaps they are getting confused with electrochemical potential
Reply 9
this is wat i ended up with

1- both invovle some kind of phosphorylation
2- Both use and created ATP
3- Both create Reduced Enzymes
4- Both have an electron transfer chain
5- They are both reverse reactions of each other

i think 1-4 are right not 100% sure about 5

wat u guys think?
Tom H
What the hell?

I can assure you there is no gravatational potential energy involved. If you're refering to electrons moving from a high energy state to a low energy state then that's nothing to do with gravity.

Thats what im told, at the top of the chain they have more potential energy or kinetic energy whatever it is im probably confusing the 2.. and as they fall they give out their energy.
Reply 11
papz_007
Simalitries between photosynthesis and respiration

i can only think of that they both require ATP

wat others are there

*Similarities.
Reply 12
Profesh
*Similarities.

I actually thought you were going to make a constructive comment, silly me.
Reply 13
stratomaster
Thats what im told, at the top of the chain they have more potential energy or kinetic energy whatever it is im probably confusing the 2.. and as they fall they give out their energy.

More potential energy yes - not gravitational though ...

If I hold you upside down you don't suddenly die because the electrons are falling the wrong way! The process doesn't depend on gravity but on the relative energy of the electrons as they are passed from one carrier to another down the electron transport chain (and down in this context means in energy not literally DOWN!)
Reply 14
Doesn't anyone want to mention the fact that going back to basics, they are pretty much the same chemical reaction, just that one is the reverse of the other. If you ignore things like ATP, ADP, energy, chlorophyll and so on you get:

Photosynthesis = 6H2O + 6CO2 --> C6H12O6 + 6O2

Respiration = C6H12O6 + 6O2 --> 6H2O + 6CO2

Don't mean to be patronising and I mean I know that it's actually more complex than that, but nobody mentioned it and it's pretty important.
Reply 15
"5- They are both reverse reactions of each other " I think papz did say it before
Reply 16
Oh yeah, I should really read all the posts properly.
Reply 17
i got told the answers on friday

all the ones about + reactions occur in membranes in each reaction

ATP is produced and used to both reactions

There is a net gain present in both reactions

Latest

Trending

Trending