The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Social work interview at salford 2011

Hi

Can anyone advise me on some tips and sample questions or experiences at your social work interviews. I have my group interview this week at salford and would appreciate any advise to ease my nerves.

Thankyou:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi , i have mine in march and unsure of what i will be asked, i know its a group disscusion but thats about it , could you let me know what happens at your interview and what they ask you . thanks
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
How did it go? Got mine soon.
Reply 3
Hi, i had my social work interview at Salford today. Its a group interview of 9-10 people and informal. You basically introduce yourself, the group is given 3 issues to discuss, then 2 lecturers and 2 service users observe the discussion and each individual's input.

What i would say is stay calm, make relevant contributions to the discussion and try to do as well as you can.

We were told at the end that today's interview was day 20 of 42 days interviewing so a quick calculation 10x42.....420 potential students being interviewed. There were over 700 applications.......and only 65 places....that was the part that worried me! :redface:

good luck with it though, hope youre successful :smile:
Reply 4
Well done on you're interview. How long did it last? Are those applicant figures for the MA?
Reply 5
Hi there, has anyone heard anything back yet re their interview and whether they have been successful?

To Venkman, no that was for the BA :smile:
Reply 6
ahh and it was for 2 hours approx!
Reply 7
apparently they are not offering places until everyone has been interviewed!!!
Reply 8
Yes i just phoned them, apparently though the secretary there said that some rejection letters have gone out, so thats a positive? well not for the people that have been rejected for the course but for me personally lol. its agonising waiting to hear!
Reply 9
eeek same!!!
I had mine for the MA a couple of weeks ago. Went really well. They said i would hear off them in a couple of weeks.

Can i just ask about peoples UCAS accounts. On my Salford choice nothing has changed despite being invited for the interview. On a couple of my other choices it says 'Invited for interview'. Is this the same for other people?
got my offer today. accepted :smile:
Reply 12
ahhhh that makes me think i dont have an offer!! thought they were sending all invites and rejections at the same time.

and hillbilly, also my ucas hasnt been updated by salford even though ive had my interview and the other unis have updated it...
If i am honest...after my interview the tutor said i would be offered a place. There were only 5 of us in my interview for some reason. Didnt want to count my chickens though.

Good luck!
Reply 14
costerer same here, im not feeling so positive about it now :frown: i had been told that so far only rejections had been sent out but on talking to them again they said that theyre doing them in batches (that includes offers and rejections). my friend has applied for the same courses as me, social work and social policy and she has just been offered social policy last week but didnt get an interview for social work. worry sets in....

can i ask hillbillypete what your background is workwise i mean? are you already working in that field?
Reply 15
hillbillypete, just realised its the MA you will be studying...relief! as far as they said it was the BA that was hugely over subscribed...so fingers cross yet again haha :biggrin: and congrats!
Reply 16
eeek. wish they'd just tell me already!
Reply 17
Original post by hillbillypete
got my offer today. accepted :smile:

congratulations! :smile:
Original post by lc1975
hillbillypete, just realised its the MA you will be studying...relief! as far as they said it was the BA that was hugely over subscribed...so fingers cross yet again haha :biggrin: and congrats!

Yeah, sorry for confusion, its the MA. Apparently its really competitive too. 50 odd places and over 1000 applicants or somethin like that...

I've worked as a Learning Mentor in a Secondary School for 5 years but also done Primary Work and Youth Work.

Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 19
I got told on the 18th Feb that I have my place :smile: Just need to have my interview at LJMU first before I accept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending