The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Trent Product Design Interview

I'm really worried I don't have enough... Product design... Design lol
I've shoved in everything I've got and I know I can talk about it in detail... But they aren't after quantity right?

Also on the invitation it says to "allow up to 4 hours for the interview"
I feel this implies it could be a group interview? They havn't said but I would like to know if anyone has gone through this interview before.
I don't know if its a campus tour ect.. Or that they assume timings on interviews may become varied.

Any help would be bloody useful.. Calm my nerves!

x x x
Reply 1
Hi, I just got my invitation today. They're asking for a lot compared to my other choices :/ I'm just gonna gamble and take the same portfolio as the rest have asked for, and hope for the best
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Hi - hopefully this will help clarify things for you? If not please do post again or get in touch with us!

When you arrive for your interview you'll be greeted by one of our current Product Design students and taken to a room for a welcome talk - this is usually given by Jim Dale who is the BA Product Design and BA Furniture and Product Design Course Leader. You will then be shown around the facilities for the course by some of our current PD students, which will include the main studio and workshop areas you'll get to use on the course.

If you've already visited us before, you don't have to go on the tour, and will be given the option to have an individual interview whilst the rest of the group are looking around. If you haven't visited before you will look around and then be interview individually. All individual interviews last around 20 minutes and will give you the chance to talk about why you want to join the course at NTU and about your portfolio work. It will also give you the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have.

In terms of your portfolio, try and follow the portfolio guidelines that we've provided you where possible. Remember that everyone applying for this course will be from different backgrounds so the main thing we want to see is your potential, rather than a finished Product Designer - otherwise what would be the point in studying a degree! Work in progress in sketchbooks or scrapbooks will help demonstrate your idea development process, so if you have them bring them along. Being able to talk through your work is important, so put it in an order you comfortable with.

Finally - we say a maximum of 4 hours, just so candidates who are travelling to Nottingham can book train/bus tickets or arrange suitable parking. It's likely that you will be here for a couple of hours at the most, but we try to make sure people have plenty of time and don't feel too rushed - we know how nerve wracking this process can be.

I hope that helps and best of luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Hey!

I had my interview for Product Design and furniture and Product Design last month and I had vey similar thoughts as yourself.

My portfolio was 15 pages and wasn't to advanced or developed, it just displayed what I have done in Product Design at GCSE and A Level. As long as you can talk confidently about the content you will be fine!

I travelled from Liverpool (I live on the Wirral) in the morning of my interview which started at 1.30...My plan was to meet up with my brothers mate who lives in Notts just to have a little nose round and maybe a few drinks after the interview...I was out of the interview by 2pm! (I was the first to be interviews out of the group!)

I got my conditional offer through earlier this month :biggrin:
Best of Luck!
Alex x
Original post by alex_c66

My mate was offered an interview for product design at Trent. He was travelling from Newcastle and said the interview lasted for merely half an hour. He said it was more of a conversation than an interview.

Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Hi,

I have my interview tomorrow morning and there are just a few doubts i have regarding the interview.

Is the recommended attire suits?

And I was required to hand in my sketchbooks for a schools internal coursework deadline so the only pictures of current development i have are on my IPad so would it be ok to show that in the interview?

kind regards,

Ben
Reply 6
Anyone know how long it takes NTU to make an offer (or rejection) after an interview for product design????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending