The Student Room Group

What is the most beautiful and thought-provoking quote?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if these are thought-provoking or inspiring exactly, but they're some of my favourites at the moment!

'I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was, when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something. That there’s some good in this world. And it’s worth fighting for.'

'Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'

'Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics.
You are all stardust.
You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded. Because the elements, the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. And the only way they could get into your body is if the stars were kind enough to explode.
So forget Jesus. The stars died so you could be here today.'

:colondollar:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Fixed.

:ditto:

lol trolled hard.
"I'd like to have a place in her heart, even if it is a padded cell."
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Inb4 Marilyn Monroe

:ahee:

Same here, and whoever it was that said that line about hoping plane lights at night could be counted as shooting stars... :ahee: :colonhash:
I read a poem which was for the father of a friend who had died young and the quote that really stuck with me was:

'for it isn't the number of steps that will matter,
but the depth of their impression'
Reply 25
There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level. - Bruce lee
'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’
Reply 27
'In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's mind there are few.' Shunryu Suzuki
Let he who would move the world, first move himself.

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate; it is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us... Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do... It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I am a citizen of the world- everywhere at home, and at home everywhere.
I know she's not everybody's cup of tea, but she speaks some interesting stuff sometimes: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2945649.Lady_Gaga
Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.
Ayn Rand
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/151476

I nicked it off Democracy, who nicked it off Bob Marley :cool:
Reply 33
'I can suck my own'
'You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.' - Blondie
Reply 35
Original post by Amuroray
Good muslims are dead muslims

"If you actually believe that thrush breath, you're an ignorant pig f.u.c.k.i.n.g. moron." By me.
Reply 36
'Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.' T. E. Lawrence
Reply 37
"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person --- though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die --- but God shows his love to us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5v6-8) This makes me think every time that even though we are wretches Christ has died in our place.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Dawkins :flutter:

Oh and also: Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
"Will you have sex with me?"

It fills me with joy every time I hear it :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending