The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im still waiting....didnt get an offer from soas till December last year...
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
I think SOAS are rather sneaky about replies. I got mine during my Oxford interview period, which I thought was purely coincidental until I discovered that my friends who were applying for Oxbridge also got their offers/rejections during that period. Maybe it's a measure to make ppl take a place at SOAS? But yes, wait until second week in December :biggrin:
Reply 3
I really want to hear something! Do you think if i phoned them and ask if they recieved my application it would rush them at looking at it?
**noooni**
Do you think if i phoned them and ask if they recieved my application it would rush them at looking at it?

No.
Reply 5
ok thanx :biggrin:
hey i'd like to ask if soas is highly regarded in the uk. i applied to it, the course looks really interesting (history and econs), but the typical offer listed in the prospectus seems to suggest that the quality of the intake is perhaps not as strong as the top schools. can anyone help me here please?
Reply 7
SOAS is renowned in the UK in circles that have heard of SOAS, but to the general public, you can expect alot of confusion (see my other thread)
Internationally though, it's up there with Oxbridge, so it's a wise move if you want to do any international work/studying later on.
Reply 8
what's your other thread?
Reply 9
Hey does anyone know how long it take for them to give decisions on law? Thanks xxx
Reply 10
'Explaining SOAS' was my other thread.

Sorry about the late reply. I had too many Japanese essays of death to write.
thanks. no one here has heard of soas either. but the course i applied for, history and econs looks pretty interesting. i have a love-hate relationship with economics. i enjoy s paper (the predecessor to the AEA, still used overseas by cambridge) where we discuss economic policy and debate economic issues and the applicability of theory, but i cannot stand the dull and mundane diagram drawing, and defining every ****ing term, and doing the boring maths bits of a level, so i was actually drawn to the soas course, which appears less mathematical than most economics courses.
Does anyone know what the ususal offer is, if you want to study history? In the prospectus it says mimnimum grade requirements BBC, but im sure they take higher grades than that. Or is the grade offer just completely dependent on the individual?
i remember speaking to the soas reps at the uol open day. they told me that if you don't get the minimum required grades, theres no chance of getting in for your course, they were dead serious about it too.
on a side note, im still waiting for their reply.
Reply 14
why is SOAS taking so long to decide whether to accept or reject people? has anyone heard anything yet?
Reply 15
**noooni**
why is SOAS taking so long to give a decide whether to accept or reject people? has anyone heard anything yet?

Exactly wot im thinking - i just keep thinking they have rejected me now lol
Reply 16
-Nav-
Exactly wot im thinking - i just keep thinking they have rejected me now lol

Dont worry it seems like no one has heard anything , they just seem to take longer than some uni's , actualy i think most uni's have started giving out offers/rejection, all the london uni's certainly have...
**noooni**
why is SOAS taking so long to decide whether to accept or reject people? has anyone heard anything yet?

they recieve many offers from abroad, more than any other uni (expect oxbridge). so they need to proccess them all, also due to the fact that in the other countries they don't have A-levels, but other exams (IBs). it takes a long time to get all of the applications. as they want to give everyone a fair chance (not, 1st come 1st get) so it'll take a long time to reply to everyone.

if you have a as gardes and are predicted good a-levels you have nothing to worry about...

off hand notion, edinburgh will take until feb/march to reply...

so, its not so bad... whatever you do don't sound desperate when you phone them. concentrate on your studies.
I only applied to SOAS. (politics and japanese)
hope i get in!
Exoskeletal
I only applied to SOAS. (politics and japanese)
hope i get in!

oh?

i thought that international students were allowed 6 choices, just like the english students.

Latest

Trending

Trending