The Student Room Group

Japanese Language Schools - HELP!

Hey guys,

I've found this school for foreigners, which looks incredible, in Beijing:

http://www.hutong-school.com/

However, I'm looking for a similar one just in JAPAN. :frown:

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for a school in Japan, accommodation provided, suited to foreigners wishing to learn the language from a beginner's level.

I'm sure they exist somewhere!

Thanks for all replies :smile:
Reply 1
Hmmmmmmm
Reply 2
www.yamasa.org

Edit: After further thought given your link and the thread title, I'm not sure what you want.
If you want to learn Japanese in Japan, see above. If you want to learn Chinese in Japan... don't bother.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by avila
www.yamasa.org

Edit: After further thought given your link and the thread title, I'm not sure what you want.
If you want to learn Japanese in Japan, see above. If you want to learn Chinese in Japan... don't bother.

Hi, I'm personally quite interested in learning Japanese in Japan for 3 or 4 months. I had a look at your link but it doesn't really seem that it is suitable for gap year students of 18 years old. It seems more tailored to graduates :frown:

Do you have any other suggestions? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Dizzee1
Hi, I'm personally quite interested in learning Japanese in Japan for 3 or 4 months. I had a look at your link but it doesn't really seem that it is suitable for gap year students of 18 years old. It seems more tailored to graduates :frown:

Yamasa has several short-term programmes like their "Acceleration Program" or "AIJP". You can even use a tourist visa to study in the three-months programmes and save yourself the effort of having to obtain a student visa.

Their website is a mess. Have patience and read through all of it. You should find what you are looking for. You could also E-Mail them. They are really nice.

I initially wanted to study Japanese at Yamasa for two years, but since that is super expensive, I decided that it may be smarter to study Japanese at a university in England and do a year abroad. But if no unis accept me, Yamasa is still my backup plan, since their applications only open end of March. :3

Original post by Dizzee1
Do you have any other suggestions? :smile:

Not exactly, but I can give you some resources:

http://jls-guide.com/english/school_list/index.html (a directory of Japanese language schools)
http://www.jref.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181 (decent forum about studying in Japan)

Also, a Google search for "<name of school> sucks" can often help to find anything negative about it.

Some things to consider:

Do you have the necessary dedication?
What exactly do you want to learn? Just speaking? Reading and writing?
Would you mind if 8 of 10 in your class are Chinese or Korean who don't speak English?
Are you okay with living alone thousands of miles away from home in a country whose language you don't speak and whose customs you don't know?
Reply 5
Original post by avila
Yamasa has several short-term programmes like their "Acceleration Program" or "AIJP". You can even use a tourist visa to study in the three-months programmes and save yourself the effort of having to obtain a student visa.

Their website is a mess. Have patience and read through all of it. You should find what you are looking for. You could also E-Mail them. They are really nice.

I initially wanted to study Japanese at Yamasa for two years, but since that is super expensive, I decided that it may be smarter to study Japanese at a university in England and do a year abroad. But if no unis accept me, Yamasa is still my backup plan, since their applications only open end of March. :3

Not exactly, but I can give you some resources:

http://jls-guide.com/english/school_list/index.html (a directory of Japanese language schools)
http://www.jref.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181 (decent forum about studying in Japan)

Also, a Google search for "<name of school> sucks" can often help to find anything negative about it.

Some things to consider:

Do you have the necessary dedication?
What exactly do you want to learn? Just speaking? Reading and writing?
Would you mind if 8 of 10 in your class are Chinese or Korean who don't speak English?
Are you okay with living alone thousands of miles away from home in a country whose language you don't speak and whose customs you don't know?

Thanks so much for all this information! I really appreciate it and it's verrrrry helpful :smile:

Could I ask you why you've highlighted Yamasa over all the others? Your directory link shows that there are loads more than I first realised! :eek:

I found this one, http://www.genkijacs.com/ and it looks very good indeed.

The questions of dedication, living thousands of miles away etc are difficult ones of course. But I believe that we are all too sheltered in our lives; - we need to challenge ourselves and take risks we would never even dream about. :biggrin:

But thanks for your concerns! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Dizzee1
Could I ask you why you've highlighted Yamasa over all the others?

Mainly because:

- I know someone who went there and can vouch that their website isn't full of lies and falsehood to lure students in
- It's supposedly a non-profit/not-for-profit institution
- Japanese government trusts them enough to generally always grant student visa requests
- They have nationality quotas to ensure there's a mix of all cultures around (e.g. no classes with 10 Chinese and 1 English person)
- They supposedly try to employ a number of male teachers so boys don't end up speaking girly Japanese.

But there are downsides too:

- Passing score is 75% if I recall correctly.
- Supposedly teachers can also hold you back even though you scored higher if they don't think you are ready for the next level
- They're highly selective in whom they let in
- Rooms in some dorms can be hard to get if you apply late

The website of the language school you linked to looks interesting. I'll browse through it when I have some more free time. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by avila
Mainly because:

- I know someone who went there and can vouch that their website isn't full of lies and falsehood to lure students in
- It's supposedly a non-profit/not-for-profit institution
- Japanese government trusts them enough to generally always grant student visa requests
- They have nationality quotas to ensure there's a mix of all cultures around (e.g. no classes with 10 Chinese and 1 English person)
- They supposedly try to employ a number of male teachers so boys don't end up speaking girly Japanese.

But there are downsides too:

- Passing score is 75% if I recall correctly.
- Supposedly teachers can also hold you back even though you scored higher if they don't think you are ready for the next level
- They're highly selective in whom they let in
- Rooms in some dorms can be hard to get if you apply late

The website of the language school you linked to looks interesting. I'll browse through it when I have some more free time. :smile:

Sounds wise to me :smile:

Yeah, the school I've linked you to looks very impressive. :biggrin:

I'm not sure what Fukuoka is like though!

The only thing I worry about is being treated like a total outsider in Japan. :P Not sure whether they like English people...
Reply 8
There are loads in Japan. Just search for Japanese language school. The first hit has lots of links: http://jls-guide.com/english/index.html
Original post by avila
www.yamasa.org

Just wanted to say, I did the Accelerated program at Yamasa over the summer, and it was excellent. If either of you has any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask. I also did another program when I was only 17 in Tokyo (both were summer holiday programs though) and in both cases I had a host family.

Good luck with your searches though!

PS: I'm also living in Beijing right now, and would be interested if you found good Chinese language summer programs, as intensive as Yamasa (which was 9 to 3:30 every day btw.)
Reply 10
Original post by Le Récamier
Just wanted to say, I did the Accelerated program at Yamasa over the summer, and it was excellent.

How was learning via total immersion (i.e. no English used at all)?
If money weren't an issue, for that reason alone I'd probably ditch studying Japanese at Uni in the UK and study there for extended period of time instead. On the other hand, I have my doubts about the effectiveness of that teaching method. How can they convey grammar rules in a language students don't fully understand yet?, etc.

How was learning kanji?

Were classes as mixed (culturally) as they boast about it on their website?

What were typical lessons like? I heard Yamasa loves continuous assessment (weekly quizzes and tests and all that).

Yamasa applications for Autumn open March 20th. So far none of the unis I want to study Japanese at in the UK have made me an offer, so Yamasa is tempting me more and more each day I spend waiting... :s
Original post by avila
How was learning via total immersion (i.e. no English used at all)?
If money weren't an issue, for that reason alone I'd probably ditch studying Japanese at Uni in the UK and study there for extended period of time instead. On the other hand, I have my doubts about the effectiveness of that teaching method. How can they convey grammar rules in a language students don't fully understand yet?, etc.

Well, it wasn't the first time actually that I was learning via total immersion, so I'm not really sure my answer counts. But I remember when I had that experience in China when I was 15, it was rather difficult at the beginning, especially since I hadn't done much Chinese before.
There is no grammar explanation in class btw, but they do use Minna No Nihongo, and give you the translated version in your native language. (There are two books per level in the series, as you probably know.) This one will explain everything etc. But at the end of the day, learning in full immersion is probably the best way. Maybe not at the very beginning, but once you reach a certain level it should be fine. Don't worry too much about it. If you do, the way I did it was by watching a lot of movies and drama. I watched a lot of Japanese TV, and now probably don't really need subtitles anymore. But that's just one way of doing it. =)

Original post by avila

How was learning kanji?

Honestly, kanji is far from the hardest thing in Asian languages. I've learned quite a few by now, especially with Chinese, and thanks to keys (phonetic and radicals) it just comes together in the end. But the first ones are extremely hard.

Original post by avila

Were classes as mixed (culturally) as they boast about it on their website?

No. Especially not in the accelerated program. We were the maximum number of 8, and there were two Europeans (this spanish girl and me - I'm "French.") The rest I think were all American, or with some Asian roots but basically American. But then again, next door there was the longer conversational program, filled with Taiwanese, and I have to say from the looks of it, I preferred our class. The Taiwanese were a huge majority, and they mostly stayed between themselves speaking a mixture of Hokkien and Mandarin. They were also a lot less enthusiastic about learning Japanese, and the Americans and Europeans were just paying more attention in class, and going over stuff really fast. The Asians though have the advantage of knowing the kanji, so it all goes very quickly for them without having to put much effort in anyway, and that's also the reason why they weren't interested in the accelerated programs - which emphasises all aspects of Japanese.

Original post by avila

What were typical lessons like? I heard Yamasa loves continuous assessment (weekly quizzes and tests and all that).

Yeah, tests virtually every day or every two days. (Kanji mostly.) And grammar tests every 5 lessons of Minna no Nihongo (every 2 lessons when you reach chuukyuu.) It was very intense, we did 1 lesson of shoukyuu a day, and when we reached chuukyuu we did about 2.5 a week. At least that's what I remember.

Original post by avila

Yamasa applications for Autumn open March 20th. So far none of the unis I want to study Japanese at in the UK have made me an offer, so Yamasa is tempting me more and more each day I spend waiting... :s

Where have you applied?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
There is no grammar explanation in class btw, but they do use Minna No Nihongo, and give you the translated version in your native lang uage.

I've flipped through "Minna No Nihongo" at my uni's library before. The class I'm in now uses "Japanese for Busy People". If they give you a translation and tell you to learn it on your own time then that's fine.

Honestly, kanji is far from the hardest thing in Asian languages. I've learned quite a few by now, especially with Chinese, and thanks to keys (phonetic and radicals) it just comes together in the end. But the first ones are extremely hard.

Kanji actually don't bother me anymore. It was difficult to find a good book at first (I hate Heisig). I'm currently working through "Basic Kanji Book" and hope to finish the first volume by summer. Stuff like days of the week, etc. made a whole lot more sense once I knew the kanji used to write them. And from there, remembering the readings and meanings was easy. It's also extremely rewarding to actually read and understand at least fragments of authentic Japanese text instead of sticking to textbook stuff.

We were the maximum number of 8, and there were two Europeans (this spanish girl and me - I'm "French.") The rest I think were all American, or with some Asian roots but basically American.

As long as it's not seven Asian and one non-Asian person. That seems to be the standard in other language schools. If you browse various forums where people report about studying in Japan, the thread sometimes ends with them saying they're going home because they feel isolated.

It would really suck to arrive in Okazaki and not to be able to make any friends at all in class due to the language barrier. It would feel really awkward if all I could do was speak to people the same age as me using Japanese in the polite form and textbook phrases. Yamasa is one of the few language schools who seem to say "yes, we realize this could be a problem, and we will try to do something about it."

tests virtually every day or every two days.

On the brighter side, I guess all that testing at least lets you know where you're at. Not a bad thing, I think. The class I'm taking right now has "optional" weekly assignments. They're stupidly easy and take like 30 minutes, but few people choose do them, and it shows.

Where have you applied?

Still waiting on Sheffield, SOAS, and Edinburgh. Loads of people got offers or interviews from those places already, so it's annoying not to hear anything. I withdrew my application to Manchester since they wanted me to pay the international student fee because I will already have a degree when I start, and Leeds rejected me because they thought I was not enthusiastic enough about studying Japanese... whatever that means. :rolleyes:
Original post by avila
As long as it's not seven Asian and one non-Asian person. That seems to be the standard in other language schools. If you browse various forums where people report about studying in Japan, the thread sometimes ends with them saying they're going home because they feel isolated.
It would really suck to arrive in Okazaki and not to be able to make any friends at all in class due to the language barrier. It would feel really awkward if all I could do was speak to people the same age as me using Japanese in the polite form and textbook phrases. Yamasa is one of the few language schools who seem to say "yes, we realize this could be a problem, and we will try to do something about it."

That's my case this year in China. And honestly, it's not fun. It's not only language barrier, but also cultural differences, and the fact that they are - I have to say, in general - a LOT less enthusiastic about Chinese than the westerners. (They're Korean and Japanese.) And since they're in such huge numbers, they basically live in their own little communities, which don't really change from their own personal background.

Original post by avila
Still waiting on Sheffield, SOAS, and Edinburgh. Loads of people got offers or interviews from those places already, so it's annoying not to hear anything. I withdrew my application to Manchester since they wanted me to pay the international student fee because I will already have a degree when I start, and Leeds rejected me because they thought I was not enthusiastic enough about studying Japanese... whatever that means. :rolleyes:

Well, I hope to see you at SOAS next year? =) Don't worry too much about them being late with answering, SOAS administration is the most notorious of all London Unis.
Reply 14
Just wanted to say, I did the Accelerated program at Yamasa over the summer, and it was excellent. If either of you has any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hi. I'm interested in studying at the Yamasa Institute, although I'm not sure if I should enter to the accelerated program.

How is the program in terms of free time? I'd love to have some to check out the place and try to meet new people.

Also, did you have a homestay? How was the experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending