The Student Room Group

Anyone else studying AQA A2 Level Spanish?

Is anyone else studying the AQA A2 Level in Spanish?

At the moment, I'm working on the three compulsory topics that we have to study (the environment, the multicultural society and contemporary social issues) and my two chosen cultural topics. Although the specification gives you guidance on specific things to learn under the topic headings (for example, sub-headings such as energy, pollution and protecting the planet under "The Environment") I am wondering just how much I should put into my notes on these topics. I've got a file for each topic and I put facts and any interesting/relevant stuff into them but the topics are so broad and wide-ranging that I'm worried about getting into too much detail and then giving myself far too much to learn. At the same time, I don't want to end up without enough detail.

What are you doing regarding learning about the topics (compulsory and cultural)? There's quite a lot of new vocabulary to learn as well and I just make lists of useful vocabulary and read them through, but does anyone have any other ideas for learning vocab?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, am I really the only one on here studying A Level Spanish? Hoping for some replies.....
Reply 2
Hi, I'm also doing AQA A2 Spanish :smile: I have my folder divided into sections for the main topics (the environment, the multicultural society and contemporary social issues) and a separate folder for the cultural dossier. I'm using the content they have covered in the book as my basis then have added in any interesting articles/information I've found independently, though that's a maximum of about 2/3 for each sub-topic. I don't think we need to have a massive breadth of wider knowledge but it's useful just to have read around the topic a bit and keep up with anything new/currently relevant to that issue - i.e. new plans for coping with global warming etc. I think that's sufficient :smile:

As for learning vocabulary, a technique I started using recently (and that seems to be working) is to read over it a few times, then for ones that I think I will have trouble remembering, I write them down on a bit of coloured paper and stick them around my room in places where I'll look at them regularly, so it's like I'm subconsciously forcing them into my brain haha - e.g. I have some on the inside of my wardorbe door, around my mirror etc. This isn't very helpful for a massive quantity of vocab but I just use it for a few important, really useful words/phrases that I want to incorporate into my speaking and writing. I also do this for non subject-specific vocab aswell, like I have 'espejo' stuck on my mirror and 'armario' on my wardrobe. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by un-besito
Hi, I'm also doing AQA A2 Spanish :smile: I have my folder divided into sections for the main topics (the environment, the multicultural society and contemporary social issues) and a separate folder for the cultural dossier. I'm using the content they have covered in the book as my basis then have added in any interesting articles/information I've found independently, though that's a maximum of about 2/3 for each sub-topic. I don't think we need to have a massive breadth of wider knowledge but it's useful just to have read around the topic a bit and keep up with anything new/currently relevant to that issue - i.e. new plans for coping with global warming etc. I think that's sufficient :smile:

Which book are you using? Have you got the AQA textbook? I was thinking about getting that; is it good?
Reply 4
Original post by Bella_Cullen
Which book are you using? Have you got the AQA textbook? I was thinking about getting that; is it good?

Yeah, this one
It is really good, it's helped me to organise my work into sections and also gives you good background information on all the topics at the beginnging of the chaper in a little 'lo sabias?' box :smile:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
at my school we've got the Ponte al dia book which is alright but its mostly workbook exercise, btw what countries/regions are you guys doing for your cultural topic??

mine is Catalonia and Colombia
Reply 6
Original post by A_rondizzle
at my school we've got the Ponte al dia book which is alright but its mostly workbook exercise, btw what countries/regions are you guys doing for your cultural topic??

We're not doing a region, we were allowed to choose our own topics and I'm doing the film Amores Perros and the book La Colmena :smile: How many of you are there in your Spanish class? There are only 2 of us which is why I think we were given the opportunity to choose our own :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by A_rondizzle

Do you have to do two regions? :s-smilie: I'm only doing one (Andalucia).
Reply 8
Yeah, this one
It is really good, it's helped me to organise my work into sections and also gives you good background information on all the topics at the beginnging of the chaper in a little 'lo sabias?' box :smile:

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy of that. :smile:
Reply 9
My teacher is incredibly organised and I would suggest that if you get the AQA textbook, you should find out if you can get the workbooks for each topic too, they're full of exercises based on the topic. Also, it is very important that you learn the vocab and expresiones claves for each topic because AQA is big on topic specific vocab being used in the oral.

As for cultural topics... I'm doing a director and an author.. Is everybody else doing regions?
Reply 10
What about the Animo 2 textbook? Is that any good?
Original post by regazza
My teacher is incredibly organised and I would suggest that if you get the AQA textbook, you should find out if you can get the workbooks for each topic too, they're full of exercises based on the topic. Also, it is very important that you learn the vocab and expresiones claves for each topic because AQA is big on topic specific vocab being used in the oral.

As for cultural topics... I'm doing a director and an author.. Is everybody else doing regions?

I'm also doing a director and an author - which two are you doing? :smile:
Reply 12
I'm also doing a director and an author - which two are you doing? :smile:

Gabriel García Márquez and Alejandro Amenábar. You? :smile:
I'm doing AQA A2 Spanish too xD
Our cultural topics are chosen for us, and they are Picasso's art and his involvement in the Spanish civil war (General Franco etc....), and the history of Argentina!
How are you guys revising the topics? making notes, mind maps....?
Reply 14
I am doing A2 AQA Spanish.
I'm doing Pan's Labyrinth and Oaxaca.
My notes for my three topics are in complete jumbled.
I seriously need to sort them out.
I suggest try using kerboodle :smile:
Thanks for this thread; I'm about to start AS, but am taking Spanish- I'm a bit of a nerd and love it.... :rolleyes:

Without sounding like I'm totally missing the point... what does the researching a cultural topic actually entail? Is it written in Spanish? Do you just have to spend time researching a particular area and then writing an essay on it? A report?
My school is also under the AQA board :biggrin:
I'm also doing AQA Spanish. I would recommend the textbook. It's got loads of vocab and reading/listening exercises.

For my cultural topics I'm doing the films of Pedro Almodovar and the Franco era.
Original post by regazza
Gabriel García Márquez and Alejandro Amenábar. You? :smile:

Cool :smile: I'm doing Camilo José Cela and Alejandro González Iñárritu.
Original post by lassiesuca
Thanks for this thread; I'm about to start AS, but am taking Spanish- I'm a bit of a nerd and love it.... :rolleyes:

Without sounding like I'm totally missing the point... what does the researching a cultural topic actually entail? Is it written in Spanish? Do you just have to spend time researching a particular area and then writing an essay on it? A report?
My school is also under the AQA board :biggrin:

Hola :smile: The options for the cultural dossier are: a Spanish speaking region, a historical period from the 20th century, the work of a Spanish novelist, the work of a playwright, poet or an artist. You choose 2 of those and the writing section of the A2 exam is a question based on your research into these areas - though you only have to answer 1 question so you will have a choice depending on which question you like better/which topic you feel more confident with - there will be one question for each topic.
An example of a question might be 'To what extent has the personal life of the author you have studied influenced their work?' or 'What technique does *** employ in their work in order to create meaning?' And yeah, the essay question and your answer (hopefully!) will be in Spanish.
You'll also be discussing the cultural topics in the speaking exam. :smile:
*Actually, there are two questions for each topic - i.e. two to choose from for director, two to choose from for the novelist
(edited 13 years ago)
Hola :smile: The options for the cultural dossier are: a Spanish speaking region, a historical period from the 20th century, the work of a Spanish novelist, the work of a playwright, poet or an artist. You choose 2 of those and the writing section of the A2 exam is a question based on your research into these areas - though you only have to answer 1 question so you will have a choice depending on which question you like better/which topic you feel more confident with - there will be one question for each topic.
An example of a question might be 'To what extent has the personal life of the author you have studied influenced their work?' or 'What technique does *** employ in their work in order to create meaning?' And yeah, the essay question and your answer (hopefully!) will be in Spanish.
You'll also be discussing the cultural topics in the speaking exam. :smile:

Muchas Gracias!

That was a great help! Really useful and gives me a good insight into what to look forward to!

Good luck with your exams!

Amy x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending