The Student Room Group

What can i wear to a funeral?

aa
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Anything black and nice, you want to show respect. Nice black trouser with a blouse and a cardigan? You cal also wear a little bit of white but all black is better. If you want to wear a dress, make sure you cover your shoulders and that the dress is not too short. Right above your knees would be a good length. In the winter I'd also wear black tights.

For shoes you can wear heels, I would not wear really high ones because you are not there to show off but decent flats will also work.
Reply 2
I go for black skirts (just above knee and flared slightly so not at all clingy), with flat shoes (or a small heel would be fine) and then a plain black top. Some families don't want all black though as its so sad, so you may want to ask. If not then some black and some dark blue/green sort of colours. I wouldn't choose anything patterned though and only detiling in same thread colour.

To be honest though, once you start looking for things you'll probably know. Just don't try to look fashionable - just neat and nice. At 18 I personally wouldn't wear a hat either (not all people do this either though).
black suit if you're feeling like a chump, shell suit if you wanna look like a champ.
You should wear white. It will brighten up the place.
Original post by Katie_08

Original post by Katie_08
Hi, im going to a relatives funeral in a couple of weeks and cant work out what to wear, any ideas or links to clothes would be extremly useful. Im 18 and female. Thank you

how about a nice big pink Mr.Blobby suit?

I feel that this is the most appropriate wear for a funeral.
Reply 6
I once wore a black minidress with a hairpiece and sheer tights to my great-grans funeral, and I thought just beforehand it might be too short or unsuitable but it worked ok actually.
Reply 7
Obviously black clothing: as long as it's tasteful and smart it doesn't really matter too much. I'd wear a black dress, tights, and nice shoes.
Reply 8
Depends on the funeral, but generally black.
At my Uncle's funeral on Saturday we wore bright colours (I wore a gold/mustardy top, white cardigan and then black trousers and black flats), my Aunt and cousins wore one of his shirts each, and the men all wore one of his crazy patterned ties that he was famous for. So it can be worth checking. Otherwise black trousers/black skirt with a black or dark colour (aubergine/forest green perhaps) blouse, or a black dress. Knee length or longer is usually best. Flats or small heels.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Original post by Fusion

+ rep for that. Brilliant. I knew someone would go for Alan..
Instead of mourning a loss, you should pay tribute to new life by going in your birthday suit.
i'm sorry for your loss
each funeral is different...for me a black smart dress....
^^at my grandad's funeral we had to wear head to toe white....
Depends if there is a dress code at the particular funeral normally its suits for men or black clothes, shoes, white shirt ... no tie nessacary. Ive been to 4 funerals so far in my life one where the woman was in her old age 80's so she wanted everyone to come in normal clothes and remember her going out in a fun comfortable way.
Reply 14
Any black clothes are ok! You can wear a black coat with black leggings! As to the shoes,you can wear a pair of black ankle boots!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending