The Student Room Group

Fat in my prom dress:(

Yesterday I was out with a friend, we went into a boutique, I tried 3 dresses and loved all 3 of them! Today I went with my parents in the same boutique, tried 2 of the dresses and we all chose the second one and bought it. Back then it looked like it suited me just right, I looked so slim in it, it was like the dress was made for me and everyone thought so too.
A few hours later I tried the dress at home again and .. OMG I looked like I'd gained 5 pounds in a few hours! I burst into tears because the dress wasn't cheap and though it is now useless! My parents nearly agreed with me that I look differently in it and started considering taking it back to the boutique and replacing it with another one? It's not that I'm 200 pounds or something, people might not even notice it at first, but I will feel fat in the dress:frown:
Then a friend said she felt the same way when she bought her prom dress - she kept thinking she was fat in it when she tried it later on. And she is actually skinny...
Has this happened with you girls? Do you think it's normal?

Scroll to see replies

i bought a really nice dress for prom and everyone thought i looked nice and lim, but on the prom day i looked really fat :sad: and i regret wearing it now, especially looking at old pics :sad: (not 200 pounds either)
Yeah it's happened to me too..

something's not right...let's revolt
Reply 3
It's probably because you're really fat.
Reply 4
awwwwww
Reply 5
maybe the mirrors in the shop are distorted to make your body look thinner? Could be some sort of sly trick :colone:
Reply 6
That's tough. It's happened to me to (and I'm a size 8). I think the thing is you expect it to look really great and big it up to much in your mind so it doesn't live up to that. Maybe try it on in the morning and see what you think then before you make any decisions? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah that doesn't just happen with prom dresses (well I wouldn't know, I'm male). Sometimes I'll buy stuff that will look good on in the store then looks completely different when I try it on at home! You should take it back and find one you do like - you don't want to be moping around in a corner all prom because you feel fat. You just need a better dress.
Reply 8
lol as I said I'm not fat literally, I meant to say that the dress doesn't look as perfect on me as it used to look back in the shop... :wink: I wouldn't make such a fuss of it if it were any other piece of clothing, but the prom is once in a lifetime, you know what I mean..
Reply 9
Oh yes in my country we call a boutique a shop with fancy dresses:smile:
You can gain a few pounds throughtout the day you know. :eyeball:
Mirrors and lighting in shops do actually make a big difference to how you see yourself unfortunately :/
Reply 12
Original post by -kit-kat-
maybe the mirrors in the shop are distorted to make your body look thinner? Could be some sort of sly trick :colone:

Haha yes sometimes they do that actually! I mean they put special mirrors that make you look slim.. that surely should be illegal :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
The mirrors in the shop will be slightly distorted to make you think that their dresses take pounds off you.. but even with that being the case, you will just look your normal size to everyone else so don't worry, and concentrate on your hair, make up etc- hold yourself with confidence, SMILE, and you'll be beautiful!
Reply 14
Original post by Gemma :)!
The mirrors in the shop will be slightly distorted to make you think that their dresses take pounds off you.. but even with that being the case, you will just look your normal size to everyone else so don't worry, and concentrate on your hair, make up etc- hold yourself with confidence, SMILE, and you'll be beautiful!

Thank you so much, really made me feel better:smile:
Reply 15
I don't get it, couldn't you feel it was too small for you in the shop? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Hopple
I don't get it, couldn't you feel it was too small for you in the shop? :s-smilie:

No the dress isn't that tight, it's really comfortable and pretty much every girl can get to try the dress on, but it's how it looks on you that really matters:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by eve_bg
No the dress isn't that tight, it's really comfortable and pretty much every girl can get to try the dress on, but it's how it looks on you that really matters:smile:

Well, your parents didn't notice when you were at the shop, maybe you're noticing things other people wouldn't? I'm sure it looks fine :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Hopple
Well, your parents didn't notice when you were at the shop, maybe you're noticing things other people wouldn't? I'm sure it looks fine :smile:

Yes that's the strangest thing, surely they would have said if it wasn't ok.. and yesterday I tried the same dress again when I was with my friend and she said I was great too (and she's not the kind of people who tell white lies hah).. Maybe I'm overexaggerating, who knows:wink: Thanks
!
If you really feel uncomfortable wearing it then buy a bodysuit or leotard and wear it under the dress which should make a difference

Quick Reply

Latest