The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Football Manager is coming to android phones soon :colone:. Just incase anyone cares.
Reply 6241
Does anyone else experience end of season collapses? Like what Liverpool/ Spurs are having in real life now. Happened to me the past two seasons with Coventry and meant I missed out on promotion both times :frown: in my first season I was 2nd and 13 points from 3rd. By the end of the season I scraped the play-offs but lost 3-0 on aggregate :facepalm:

Any tips to avoid this?
Original post by Abiraleft
Is it no longer possible to find FM12 in a shop? I've been to a couple of Game's, and they don't seem to have it there. Is online the only way to buy it now? :confused:

Try supermarkets or maybe HMV? I bought my copy from Tesco when it came out (dead cheap for a hard copy too :king1:) This year though, they've made it so you need Steam to install it, so it makes sense just to buy a download copy really (unless you're planning on using it offline lots I suppose :holmes: ).
Reply 6243
IDK about league collapses but I find whenever I go to a team I don't know much about tactically I often seem to have really poor starts. Just started as Arsenal and I got Muniain and Fellaini signed with a couple of others, sacked loads of deadwood staff and improved them (although Arsenals are generally quite good). Spanked the reserved 6-1 but then had a friendly against some obscure America team and drew 0-0 with a full strength squad, 7 shots, 0 on target. Then I draw 1-1 with Porto, got a header in 91st minute....OFC they run straight up the other end and bulldoze my defence and equalise.

It's happened with a couple of teams and Valencia once although I overhauled their staff massively. The team are so in debt and it's no wonder they're paying coaches £4k p/w when they're 3 star training categories!

Is it just a case of team/staff blending? I have 2 or 3 staff members that are basically my backroom staff anyway, whatever club I go to I sign them :smile: does a lot of backroom changes often give you a really slow start to things on the pitch?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Leelad
Does anyone else experience end of season collapses? Like what Liverpool/ Spurs are having in real life now. Happened to me the past two seasons with Coventry and meant I missed out on promotion both times :frown: in my first season I was 2nd and 13 points from 3rd. By the end of the season I scraped the play-offs but lost 3-0 on aggregate :facepalm:

Any tips to avoid this?

Don't worry, that has happened to me loads of times. I was top 4 in my first season with real sociedad and I crashed big time and missed europa league. I always crash. Just change your tactics or do a team meeting and raise the morale up and it helps.

Or if there's a problem e.g. not scoring enough/crap defence then you need to tighten that up with the tactics and extra focus. If you're doing crap in both then you need to sort out teamwork.
Original post by WhuTom
IDK about league collapses but I find whenever I go to a team I don't know much about tactically I often seem to have really poor starts. Just started as Arsenal and I got Muniain and Fellaini signed with a couple of others, sacked loads of deadwood staff and improved them (although Arsenals are generally quite good). Spanked the reserved 6-1 but then had a friendly against some obscure America team and drew 0-0 with a full strength squad, 7 shots, 0 on target. Then I draw 1-1 with Porto, got a header in 91st minute....OFC they run straight up the other end and bulldoze my defence and equalise.

It's happened with a couple of teams and Valencia once although I overhauled their staff massively. The team are so in debt and it's no wonder they're paying coaches £4k p/w when they're 3 star training categories!

Is it just a case of team/staff blending? I have 2 or 3 staff members that are basically my backroom staff anyway, whatever club I go to I sign them :smile: does a lot of backroom changes often give you a really slow start to things on the pitch?

I think it's team blending, I now solve the problem by playing loads of pre season friendlies, gets their match fitness up too. Now I don't get crashes in the start of the season. Although I had a **** fixture list one season where I basically had to face the top half in my first 7 matches and I got 1 point in 7 games and was dead last.

I tend to crash mid season now and I never win my final game of the season for some reason.
I've put too much trust in my youngsters this season. They will be quality players in the future but they haven't got what it takes atm and have lost 4 league games already.

Luckily I'm still in the title race and I'll be looking to bring in some players in Jan.

Have also decided to stay with my Liverpool save for another season or two till the youngsters fully develop. Can't leave while the job is half done.
Original post by Tommyjw
Football Manager is coming to android phones soon :colone:. Just incase anyone cares.

This justifies my decision to splash out on a Galaxy Nexus.

#winning :yeah:
Reply 6248
How do you guys get a print screen of your save and paste it on here? A couple of you have done that, just wanted to show you my gem of a regen goalkeeper that I got for like £3m ^_^

Might have to sell Fernando Gago :frown: He's rated 3.5* out of my team ATM but I'm letting Parker run his contract out now (he'll be 33 next season early, down to 2.5* on my recommendation) but both are on ~50k p/w. I just don't play him often enough to warrant 50k, that's a lot for the Hammers to pay even though we've had champs league two seasons running now. Gago has a really odd set of attributes though; he's got great first touch, passing, tackling and marking along with composure and concentration. That sounds like a deep lying playmaker right? (maybe in the Anchor Man position)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6249
Original post by Tommyjw

Now I can ruin my degree even more by playing it wherever i go, not just when I'm supposed to be working :biggrin:
Reply 6250
Create a screenshot folder in documents>si>fm2012 if you don't already have one and press alt+f9.
Reply 6251
Original post by WhuTom
How do you guys get a print screen of your save and paste it on here? A couple of you have done that, just wanted to show you my gem of a regen goalkeeper that I got for like £3m ^_^

If you play FM through steam just press F12, then Shift+tab and then upload the screenshot to your steam profile. Open the ss in a webpage and copy the link and put it between
Reply 6252
Somewhat embarrassingly my f12 key is also the location of the on/off switch for my laptop's wireless connection.

So every time I tried to ss it killed off my steam connection, only to have not ss'ed when I reconnected by pressing it again.

In changing it from f12 I pressed delete, and now my SS is set to the "none" key, which cannot be edited.

FML
Reply 6253
Don't you have an FN button to press the second function buttons on your laptop?
Original post by Llamageddon
I like to go for a mix so that when one player gets too old another is ready to replace him.

If a player is 28 and another is 18, then by the time the 28 year old is 32 and starting to lose fitness/ speed, the 22 year old is ready for rotation with the 32 year old. Younger players are fantastic for squad depth and longevity but a player has to be bloody fantastic to hack it as first choice in the premier league at 21 in my experience.

That's probably my problem in all fairness. I'm too quick to shift anyone over 28 unless they came from the youth squad/low wages.
Might have gone a bit overboard on this one. Entire years budget + leftovers from last + selling 2 players for £6m and £5m to buy one player.

£45m. I just couldn't resist.
Think there are still some problems with the match engine...

Might have gone a bit overboard on this one. Entire years budget + leftovers from last + selling 2 players for £6m and £5m to buy one player.

£45m. I just couldn't resist.

:facepalm2: He's very good tbf. But could probably get a better player for free if you wait a year or two for him to develop fully which says it all. Do you try to break even and make a profit over the season.

Also, I'm using a 4-2-3-1 formation with wingers. Is there a point of using wing backs or should I put them as full backs? I'm just used to using wing backs on attack mode.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6258
It really is worth noting just how poor everton are. My squad is built around players who were already at the club, Kyle Walker who was unhappy at tottenham so unusually cheap, Cleverly who was transfer listed by manchester united and then a ton of regens and released players.

Those are the centre midfielders I have. I could try to play them differently, but playing different players is not something I could really do. There's a huge dicount in terms of wages for players who have loyalty to the club and unless a player is unhappy they're typically just priced out my range.

I think I'll try rodwell as ball winning and barkley as box-to-box. With Fellaini nothing gets through the midfield so I guess everybody is right that I could push my midfielders up.

I play asNewcastle, preupdate so I don't have Cisse. I'm in my fourth or fifth season now. When I first started we didn't have much money either, admittedly not as bad Everton but still. I bought Dow Santos for less than 2.5£m as he was transfer listed at Tottenham. I like playing as one of the lower PL teams, it's more of a challenge.
Original post by jam277
:facepalm2: He's very good tbf. But could probably get a better player for free if you wait a year or two for him to develop fully which says it all.
If I used rte sure. Have you seen his stats though? Creativity? Flair? Passing? Technique? First Touch? Off The Ball? You don't just create stats like that. For every "key attribute" of the role I've thrown him into he has at least 15 and an average of ~17.5, he also has pace, is determined, good stamina and natural fitness.
Do you try to break even and make a profit over the season.
No. My board does that for me. My per annum salary bill is £31.4m though.

As for "creating" players, I have two regens on the wings. The left winger is 8 years younger than Gotze which imo is a very good gap.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest