The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
After 11 years in management of real sociedad, I'm now a top 4 regular, but I find a way to bottle it every single season, I end up winning like 15 games in a row, then bottle it as soon as I end up in first place, so my la liga titles=0, when I eventually win la liga I'm gonna aim for a clean sweep.

Guess what, I have barcelona to face in my first game of the season at anoeta. :facepalm2:
I also think I've turned into arsene wenger, sold my key players, got 60 million and didn't buy anyone, lets see if I'll be top 4 this season now. I did win the CL last season though and I'm the 3rd best team in europe. :biggrin:

I am guessing this season you will make a big profit.

How do i stop dividends taking away all of my profit?

I made £13 million last season, but the board gave it all away in dividends!

It is so annoying.
Oh, I've been given the opportunity to choose a commercial link feeder club. They're "letting me choose" meaning that I can pick any club and they will try to arrange feeder status with them.

I've heard that if you buy a Japanese bench warmer and get a japanese feeder club you make millions from it. I do however have 2 solid and capable US players in my squad but I hear they don't care so much about that. Which nation should I go for? and which club?
Always do terribly in my second season, literally happens every single time I start a game; do well in the first season therefore high expectations, I bring in a few better players and my team goes backwards and I either resign or will eventually get sacked :confused:
Original post by hypercaine.
Always do terribly in my second season, literally happens every single time I start a game; do well in the first season therefore high expectations, I bring in a few better players and my team goes backwards and I either resign or will eventually get sacked :confused:
Are you sure you're bringing in better players or are you suffering from the age old FM disease of bringing in a load of "wonderkids"?

What team do you usually play as?
Original post by Llamageddon
I'm not entirely certain why the board spent nearly £300m on what amounts to 15k extra seats. I'm defending my champions league win with a staggering budget of £20m and wage cap of £800k p/w (though this is the first time I've won the champions league since it became "football manager" so i've no high expectations!)

And the debt repayments on my £374m loan debts will be... significant?

But I'm still really happy. I like new stadiums. I've never had one before in any CM/FM game.

PS - Gotze was worth £45m

£374m loan debts? Where's the extra £150m coming from?

And isn't it more like an extra 25k seats? Your revenue will increase by about 50%, the club's status will increase and your sponsorship deals will get bigger due to this.

Original post by ras90

It is so annoying.

Stop moaning about the dividends. :bored:
Original post by Kevmeister
Stop moaning about the dividends. :bored:

Or find a way to purchase to club :colondollar:

General question - is there anything you can do to reduce injuries? Last season I only had a couple at a time, this season it's regularly 5-8 injuries. I've reduced the training down to medium since there were a couple of muscle related injuries but it's really annoying that I'm not able to get a clean bill of players.

Had a great start to the season - 5 games played and won, with no goals conceded. Then obviously I'm winning my 6th game 1-0 and a player gives away a penalty so I concede and draw my first game :mad:
Wasn't even a penalty, I made insulting remarks in the press conference and the FA didn't say anything :biggrin: First time I've got away with it.
I got fired as Liverpool manager in my first season even though I won the league cup, but was 8th in the league. :colonhash:
Reply 6447
Original post by DannyBoy123
I got fired as Liverpool manager in my first season even though I won the league cup, but was 8th in the league. :colonhash:

What did you have as your expectations?
My new record goalscorer....:colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6449
What a ridiculous regen :coma:
Original post by Mess.
What did you have as your expectations?

Top 4 I think, although knowing me I may have clicked title contender. :colondollar:

I don't have the patience for football manager, I just found the timing of my sacking quite ironic.

Agger kept criticising me in the press as well, the bastard. :biggrin:
Original post by Kevmeister
£374m loan debts? Where's the extra £150m coming from?
It's a mixture of pre-existing debts and I don't have a ****ing clue. Iirc my other debts were around 70-80m, I was given a transfer budget of £30m which is about right for what I otherwise spent that year and so on.
And isn't it more like an extra 25k seats? Your revenue will increase by about 50%, the club's status will increase and your sponsorship deals will get bigger due to this.
Goodison can be and was expanded to 50k. I don't actually get much revenue from ticket sales/ season tickets relative to sponsorship deals, prize money and TV revenue though if what you say is true of sponsorship and the increase in status helps my merchandise then that could be very lucrative. I wonder if ticket prices increase in a new stadium, too, and how much you get from upgrading the corporate facilities from "abysmal" to "outstanding".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
General question - is there anything you can do to reduce injuries? Last season I only had a couple at a time, this season it's regularly 5-8 injuries. I've reduced the training down to medium since there were a couple of muscle related injuries but it's really annoying that I'm not able to get a clean bill of players.
There's a few things. You can reduce the intensity of training, most notably “fitness” related training. You might be playing the same players too much so a larger squad will at least spread injuries away from your star players, help keep fitness levels up and also give youngsters a run around. You can improve the quality of physio care at your club, and finally you could avoid the purchase of injury prone players.
(edited 12 years ago)
Are you sure you're bringing in better players or are you suffering from the age old FM disease of bringing in a load of "wonderkids"?

I usually bring in a few of each, I pretty much always buy big names using monthly instalments, some people see it as cheating but if its there as an option!
At the minute im playing as Tottenahm and I brought in Rossi, Nani, Hummels and Akinfeev to replace Defoe/Adebayor, Lennon, King/Gallas and Gomes/Friedel so there shouldnt be any problems really!
I went on holiday for a bit to see if my assistant could find form, usually when I do that I get sacked when on holiday or start getting better results, I started getting better results and now im doing OK; in 4th at the min but finished the first season in 2nd so still disappointing.
Original post by hypercaine.
I usually bring in a few of each, I pretty much always buy big names using monthly instalments, some people see it as cheating but if its there as an option!
At the minute im playing as Tottenahm and I brought in Rossi, Nani, Hummels and Akinfeev to replace Defoe/Adebayor, Lennon, King/Gallas and Gomes/Friedel so there shouldnt be any problems really!
I went on holiday for a bit to see if my assistant could find form, usually when I do that I get sacked when on holiday or start getting better results, I started getting better results and now im doing OK; in 4th at the min but finished the first season in 2nd so still disappointing.
Maybe you are bringing in too many new players to the first team at a time and consequently having issues with team gelling. I'm not completely sure Akinfeev speaks English. You may want to look for scripts saying “miscommunication in the box” or something. They need time to gel and the more new additions, the longer it takes, especially if you’re playing a rotation strat. Maybe you should limit additions and keep more consistency, replacing primarily those declining in ability or not up to the task, and not replacing those of sufficient calibre straight away, instead opting to slowly build up.
Reply 6455
Original post by ras90

It is so annoying.
Simple answer? Spend your ****ing cash first so the owners don't have any to divvy up amongst the suits. The way business works is that when a company makes a profit, some profit will be re-invested into the business and whatever's left goes in the shareholders' pockets. If all of your profit is being gobbled up by the shareholders, the owners presumably feel you've got adequate resources available in the club coffers and don't need further investment, so they'll gleefully pocket the lot. As a random side-point, only major shareholders actually make any real money from it, of course. Before the bastard Glazers came along, I had a single share in Man Utd that my parents got me as a present for my 18th birthday and at the end of the season I got a little shareholders report booklet and a dividend cheque for a penny :lol:

I felt rather attached to the Wolves team I played in the older game, but I decided I would start a new game once the January patch came out...so I've decided to have another shot at bringing a bit of glory to Wolves in a season where it looks fairly inevitable that they'll be getting relegated in real life :frown: Rather depressingly, Leigh Griffiths who I relied on so much in my original game has been nerfed - compared to the 17 finishing, 17 acceleration and 16 pace he had in my old game, which made him absolutely lethal in front of goal, he's now got 13 finishing, 15 acceleration and 13 pace. In his time on loan at Hibs, rather than getting a goal a game like he did with me in my old game, he played 33 games and scored only 7...in the SPL. I'm not exactly optimistic about his chances in the Premiership :frown: Might keep him in the reserves for now and loan him out to a Championship side, see how he does there and then re-evaluate him.
Transfers haven't been too major. They sold Ronald Zubar (who in my old game was a backup anyway) and brought in Steven Whittaker, so I'm sure that between him and Foley I'll have no issues at right-back. More interestingly, they also brought in Jordan Rhodes (who in real life has been damn near unstoppable at Huddersfield in League One), who's been doing pretty damn well, too - 21 games and 11 goals. Aside from that, it's the rest of the real-life Wolves squad, though I'll be losing a bunch of reserve players in a month when their contracts run out (the only one I may regret losing is Jody Craddock, but I'm sure I can find a better and much younger DC for the eight grand a week he's on)

So, in 2011/12, Wolves finished 15th but were only 4 points above the relegation zone, they conceded more goals than any other team in the league by quite some way and had the third-worst goal difference (ahead of Blackburn and Swansea in 19th and 20th respectively). They don't seem to have a big problem with scoring, but I need to decide whether or not they need further investment in the defence. I don't quite understand why Dorus de Vries played nearly half the games in the season rather than the much better Wayne Hennessey, and that likely contributed to the high volume of goals conceded, but I need to look at the defence in general, to see if there are other obvious issues.
Reply 6456
Managed to knock Barcelona out in the 1st knockout round of the CL :biggrin: Drew 3-3 with them at the camp nou, conceding 2 own goals and a last second equaliser :sigh: Then was 1-0 at Anfield and being hammered when on the 60th minute Eden hazard scored a diving header before I stalls up the points on the counter 10 minutes later.
Barca were in great form as well, 13 points ahead in the league and only lost 1 game all season.
I'm top of the league by 3 points after 30 games as well but United have a game in hand and a slightly better goal difference. Could be a right season so a bad time to lose my 3 first choice central midfielders and for Llorente to have his first dry spell for the club :colonhash:
Original post by KingMessi
My new record goalscorer....:colondollar:

:zomg: He's immense!
Original post by DannyBoy123

Haha, did you draw a lot at home too? Did suarez get an 8 match ban as well?

Update: well I've decided to weaken my team and aim for top 4 instead of the title which I've aimed for the last few seasons(unambitious I know), sold two of my best players, sold a 29 year old romario for 10 million to juventus and a 25 year old regen for 25 million who I bought for 12 million a few seasons back.

Now using a 20 year old 2 star regen right back with 4 star potential and I'm shuffling my midfield, changing the role of my attacking midfielder into a natural central midfielder and using my youth squad, won all my games in pre season so far, including a 2-1 win vs PSG who are pretty good in the game.

I've just balanced the books every season and stayed in the top 4. I think I should manage arsenal.
Original post by ras90

It is so annoying.

You make more money :colonhash:
Anyway, not much of a point, I don't have any problems with money, no point spending ridiculous amounts of money and my budget keeping is superb.

Not much of a problem if you know how to use the wonderkids properly. I buy romario every season for peanuts, I shuffle him around with carlos martinez, when martinez is surplus to requirements I get rid. I got 8 two seasons in a row, despite having a good start to the first season and bottling top 4 and doing an everton the next season and finishing 8th again.

I did get bosingwa though and shuffled bos and romario for a season until bos' contract expired.

Latest