The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monster Mnch
I know people manage in lower leagues in England, but has anyone ever done it abroad? I started a new career save with Larisa in the Greek Second Division (currently updating a blog which I share with my FM Facebook page), but I've got it on hold until after my exams are done and I get a newer, more powerful computer. :biggrin:

I've done it with Gramenet (Spain), Real Massama (Portugal), ES Troyes (France) and Hellas Verona (Italy), with varying degrees of success.

Massama was the most successful save, going on to win the CL, while I was sacked by Troyes for not winning their league in my first season. :lol:
I've been unstoppable at home in the last two years. In all competitions ive won 41, drawn 3, lost 0. My away form is good, but the occasional loss is a bit irritating.
Original post by marcusmerehay
I've done it with Gramenet (Spain), Real Massama (Portugal), ES Troyes (France) and Hellas Verona (Italy), with varying degrees of success.

Massama was the most successful save, going on to win the CL, while I was sacked by Troyes for not winning their league in my first season. :lol:

Sounds great! I've not been able to fully stick to a save, I think the one I did the longest was on FM09. I started out at FC Haka in Finland, where I missed out on the title on the final day of the season, from there I went to Persires in Singapore's second tier. Despite being given no hope, I was leading the table after 9 games as my Cameroonian striker Anthony Fongang was rampant - but he was injured for the rest of the season and I got relegated & sacked. :biggrin:

From there, it was onto Queens University Belfast in the Northern Irish Second Division - where I took them to the Premier League in two seasons, and I just went off from there.

I did another Northern Irish save - after I left York, I went to Larne, who had just been relegated to the 2nd Division. After three seasons, I got them to the Premier League against all odds where I survived my first season by one point. :biggrin: I still play it when I can, might go back to it someday.
Reply 6943
2-2. The end of 3 minutes of stoppage time. Eriksen drives a low ball across the 6 yard box. It goes past the keeper. Rodriguez is 6 yards out with a half open goal.

The ref blows for full time.

:nothing:

Shame, for the most part they've cut that type of **** out from the recent games. I suppose they'll say they were replicating the Brazil-Sweden corner from that world cup ageees ago :lol:
Reply 6944
Original post by Monster Mnch
I know people manage in lower leagues in England, but has anyone ever done it abroad? I started a new career save with Larisa in the Greek Second Division (currently updating a blog which I share with my FM Facebook page), but I've got it on hold until after my exams are done and I get a newer, more powerful computer. :biggrin:
Done it in Mexico (or somewhere in South America like Argentina; I don't remember off-hand where it was, just that it had really odd promotion rules), Russia, Romania, China, South Korea, South Africa, Sweden, Northern Ireland, Scotland...I like my LLM games :cute: Haven't done one in Spain or Italy for a very long time so might give those a shot again, or somewhere else in eastern Europe.
Original post by Louis.
2-2. The end of 3 minutes of stoppage time. Eriksen drives a low ball across the 6 yard box. It goes past the keeper. Rodriguez is 6 yards out with a half open goal.

The ref blows for full time.

:nothing:

Shame, for the most part they've cut that type of **** out from the recent games. I suppose they'll say they were replicating the Brazil-Sweden corner from that world cup ageees ago :lol:

I've had a few like that (clean through or 2 v 1), although never to that extreme. That must have sucked.
Reply 6946
Original post by CB91
I've had a few like that (clean through or 2 v 1), although never to that extreme. That must have sucked.

You can only laugh really. It was late October so it's hardly season defining. Think the worst part was that I got off my chair in celebration...followed by the awkward sit down in anger/bemusment :colondollar:
Italian Hero hoooooooooooooooooooooooo
I've started a game with Pompey, doing pretty poorly, but got a consortium take over.

Anyway when I attempt to sign players, even on free transfer - when it comes to sign them it says 'the transfer could not be completed'. I am not under any sort of embargo and I cannot understand what's going on. Also despite having 60k+ under my wage budget I can only offer 'Key Players' £90 p/w. If anybody could shed any light on my situation that would be good. If it matters I am using one of LFC Marshall's Jan updates (from FM-Base).

Thanks in advance,

James
Reply 6949
Original post by King James
I've started a game with Pompey, doing pretty poorly, but got a consortium take over.

Anyway when I attempt to sign players, even on free transfer - when it comes to sign them it says 'the transfer could not be completed'. I am not under any sort of embargo and I cannot understand what's going on. Also despite having 60k+ under my wage budget I can only offer 'Key Players' £90 p/w. If anybody could shed any light on my situation that would be good. If it matters I am using one of LFC Marshall's Jan updates (from FM-Base).

Thanks in advance,

James

Have the consortium taken over yet or are they in the process of doing so?
Original post by Stirlo
Have the consortium taken over yet or are they in the process of doing so?

They've taken over - but I was told that I would have to get some good results and wait for them to invest in the club. Is this right?
Reply 6951
Original post by King James
They've taken over - but I was told that I would have to get some good results and wait for them to invest in the club. Is this right?

I've never been taken over so can't answer definitively, but I'd guess that is the reason is why you can't buy any players/have limited wages. I guess they want to see how you do then either sack or keep you, then offer you funds for players.
Reply 6952
I really shouldn't have changed assistant managers :facepalm2:

I've had my in-game "son" on an intensive training scheme and I'm keen to see how he turns out so I've been holidaying a lot in the background for the past 3 season.

The first two: won the league by 15+ points, plus 2 FA Cups and 1 European Champions Cup.

This season (with a new assistant manager): I come back in March and find myself 5th, 14 points off Everton in first place (2022/23 season) and KO of all cup competitions.
I've made no major changes to my squad over that time, so the assistant man. letting me down is all I can think of. :dontknow:
Original post by Nut.
I really shouldn't have changed assistant managers :facepalm2:

I've had my in-game "son" on an intensive training scheme and I'm keen to see how he turns out so I've been holidaying a lot in the background for the past 3 season.

The first two: won the league by 15+ points, plus 2 FA Cups and 1 European Champions Cup.

This season (with a new assistant manager): I come back in March and find myself 5th, 14 points off Everton in first place (2022/23 season) and KO of all cup competitions.
I've made no major changes to my squad over that time, so the assistant man. letting me down is all I can think of. :dontknow:

You can have kids?

Just out of interest, if a former star dies, is a big deal made out of it, or is it not mentioned at all?
Reply 6954
Original post by mevidek
You can have kids?

Just out of interest, if a former star dies, is a big deal made out of it, or is it not mentioned at all?

Nobody dies on FM. They just retire out of the game.

Bloody hell, my young CB's physical stats are unreal.

17 Acceleration
17 Agility
14 Balance
16 Jumping
14 Natural Fitness
18 Pace
16 Stamina
18 Strength

He's much stronger and quicker than nearly every striker he comes up against. :coma: His Positioning, Tackling, Marking, Heading, Composure and Determination are also 17+. He's only 20. :coma:
Reply 6956
Original post by mevidek
You can have kids?

Yeah, I'm not sure how rare it is in FM12, in 2010 is was rumoured to be about 1000/1, though I don't know how accurate that is.

A player will appear in your youth team with the same surname, you in their favoured personnel, plus born roughly around the same area you manage in (I'm managing Boreham Wood, Billy was born in Watford, for example).

He's got really, really **** stats though, hence the intensive training. He got a lower back stress fracture last year because of it. Whooooops. :teehee:
Reply 6957
On my Watford save it seems as though the club takeover is going to take all summer. I can only sign players on free transfers, I can't even make loan signings, so many good players slipping through my fingers. And they want me to stay in the Championship... :colonhash:
Reply 6958
Signed Felipe Anderson on a free in the summer, the January after i'm getting bids of £22mil.

Now I aint no ****in' wheeler deeler but that's tempting for someone who can't get into my team. Thing is my finances are very good regardless, I like the guy and it'd be difficult to find a better backup, especially on my wage structure.

Choices :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6959
Original post by Louis.
Signed Felipe Anderson on a free in the summer, the January after i'm getting bids of £22mil.

Now I aint no ****in' wheeler deeler but that's tempting for someone who can't get into my team. Thing is my finances are very good regardless, I like the guy and it'd be difficult to find a better backup, especially on my wage structure.

Choices :holmes:

Had a similar situation with Afellay. Got him for £1m from barca, one season later man city were offering £28m. Baring in mind he was keeping Gerrard out of the team I was undecisive as to what to do, decided I'd be greedy and ask for £34m lol. They withdrew their offer then
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest