The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louis.

Original post by Louis.
Fabio Coentrao from Benfica? He has done a good job for me at Spurs, great going forward if you allow him and he cost £8mil in the first transfer window.

Gareth Bale? :ninja: I played him at LB against Madrid and he marked Ronaldo out of the game :awesome:

He does cost stupid money though. There's a young Spanish LB, I think he plays for Sporting (the Spanish ones) and I think he's called Angel, but I might be making either or both of them up. Search for Spanish LB's under 23 and you should find him, I think he's 20 at the start of the game but I don't know how far you are. Would keep the culture of the club :moon:

I had Coentrao and Angel in my last save and they weren't very reliable, despite their brilliant stats. Might give Angel another go, I had him at Liverpool and he did nothing but after I sold him to Barca his form was brilliant.

Or do I want to sign players I've never signed before :holmes: I shall ponder. Might get Sakho, if I feel like spending 15m+
Original post by Mastermind`

:yep: Hopefully I can improve that part of his game. I finally got him for £20m after unsettling the hell out of him.

How do you improve tackling? iirc there's no individual focus for tackling.
Original post by Seanisonfire
How do you improve tackling? iirc there's no individual focus for tackling.

I think if you play the player in a more defensive position their tackling does increase. Played Sissoko as a DM and his tackling increased quite a bit. :beard:

I think if you play the player in a more defensive position their tackling does increase. Played Sissoko as a DM and his tackling increased quite a bit. :beard:

That does make sense. I trained a CM regen into ACM and his off the ball stats and that improved.

BTW did you manage to rein in Sissoko? He's very cavalier and likes to bomb forward and take long shots, which doesn't really suit my style. Yet whenever I ask him to stop getting forward all the time or stop taking long shots he tells me to gtfo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Walcott ffs. At the same time as RVP got injured so did he, and was out for 6 weeks. He comes back, I give him the last 20 minutes as his fitness was slacking, then he goes off to England and he's out for another 6 weeks. FML - I'm playing Alex Chamberlain there as a last resort due to his absence, the kid is 16/17 he can't hack big matches yet, not good.

In better news Funes Mori is on fire, however due to injuries to RVP and Bendtner I'm limited to playing 1 up front, which does suit Arsenal and my style, but I feel a poacher playing off Funes Mori would cause havoc :frown:

Oh and tackling can be improved through the defensive training slider, so if they're tackling/marking sucks just make a specific schedule for that player which is heavy on defending? Should sort it out, although other attributes might drop?
(edited 13 years ago)
Gave FM a rest for a few days, back on it this evening for a little while.

Preseason going ok, went on a tour of a few foreign sides, to bring in some cash (though my finances are very healthy). One win, two narrow losses (trying to blood my high potential CBs, see what they are capable of right now)... Also managing to sell a few fringe players (getting good sums for players i brought in on frees last summer, and who haven't done much for me since, but on low wages)... not quite done with transfers, but close to it, will post my start of season squad soon enough... am pretty happy with the balance of my side, and the fact that i'm keeping their wages so low (well, low for footballers).
I've just had a player booked for dissent! Bloody bastard! I didn't realise they put dissent in this year. Damn offside goal :unimpressed:
Short of any bargains coming on to the market, or big offers made on my players, think i'm done in the transfer market.

Big signings were pretty much all on frees, with Andy Johnson, Phil Neville, Zoltan Gera and Alan Smith all agreeing to come to me on pretty reasonable wages. Spent big on one French youngster, and the rest was spent on young players and squad players.

Spent 4M (2.6M on that one youngster with high potential), sold 2.3M worth of players (a few with sweet sell-ons)... and my squad went from lucky to reach the playoffs, to one i'm pretty sure will be challenging for the championship this season. Strength in depth everywhere, a few players with experience at the big time, and a lot of up and comers. All for about a third of a Rooney spent per week in wages (or rather interestingly, the sum of the top 3 wage earners at Leeds is more than i spend on my entire squad).
And I've just become the first person on Steam to get the Brazilian Hero achievement! Took ABC from the third division to top in Brazil! :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I've just had a player booked for dissent! Bloody bastard! I didn't realise they put dissent in this year. Damn offside goal :unimpressed:
That's been in for quite a while, actually, but it seems to be very rare compared to real life. I once conceded a goal in FM09 or FM10 and had two players given yellows for arguing about the goal (one was Rooney, I can't remember who the other was...and I can't find the post I made about it in the old thread)
Reply 70
Bloody hell...summing up a thread on SI's forum:

Idiot OP: Is it just me or do you get drawn against your rivals all the time in early cup rounds?
User 2: Evidence, please? It's probably just your imagination.
User 3: Yes, I play the same local team in different cups in the same season a lot.
User 4: Early rounds of cups are regionalised.
User 3: This has been a bug for years. Do a search.
User 5: [Posts findings with three teams, showing that more than half of the teams he was drawn against in the first three rounds of the FA Cup over five years were 'geographically close', then went on to pose the question as to whether or not it's "realism-damaging or adding more drama"]
User 4: Early rounds of cups are REGIONALISED.
User 6: I'm playing Everton and haven't been drawn against Liverpool etc. at all, but I'm always drawn against Man City at some point.
User 7: I think they're regionalised.
User 4: Am I on everyone's ignore lists? I've said three times now that they're regionalised!
User 2: [Quoting User 4] People don't bother reading posts in threads.
Idiot OP: [Quoting User 3's second post] Yes, that must be it.

Christ...

And the trolls on there are even worse than the persistent cocks we get around here :p:

Spoiler

Reply 71
Original post by Dalimyr

Original post by Dalimyr
Bloody hell...summing up a thread on SI's forum:

Idiot OP: Is it just me or do you get drawn against your rivals all the time in early cup rounds?
User 2: Evidence, please? It's probably just your imagination.
User 3: Yes, I play the same local team in different cups in the same season a lot.
User 4: Early rounds of cups are regionalised.
User 3: This has been a bug for years. Do a search.
User 5: [Posts findings with three teams, showing that more than half of the teams he was drawn against in the first three rounds of the FA Cup over five years were 'geographically close', then went on to pose the question as to whether or not it's "realism-damaging or adding more drama"]
User 4: Early rounds of cups are REGIONALISED.
User 6: I'm playing Everton and haven't been drawn against Liverpool etc. at all, but I'm always drawn against Man City at some point.
User 7: I think they're regionalised.
User 4: Am I on everyone's ignore lists? I've said three times now that they're regionalised!
User 2: [Quoting User 4] People don't bother reading posts in threads.
Idiot OP: [Quoting User 3's second post] Yes, that must be it.

Christ...

And the trolls on there are even worse than the persistent cocks we get around here :p:

Spoiler

That spoiler is ****ing quality :rofl2:
Reply 72
Since when does anybody take the SI forums seriously? The SI forums should be treated like Health and Relationships, mostly bull**** but occasionally something funny comes up.
Facing 4 consecutive games against Man Utd. Think we'll be fed up with each other by the end.
Reply 74
Original post by Llamageddon

Original post by Llamageddon
Facing 4 consecutive games against Man Utd. Think we'll be fed up with each other by the end.
Go for a draw in the first game, so you might get them 5 games in a row :ninja:

A couple of hours ago I had a rather interesting game against Inverness Caley Thistle. Phil Neville (playing for ICT) got booked after about 3 minutes or something, then on 20 minutes an ICT defender got sent off for a foul when he was the last man. Neville argued with the ref about the card and got a second yellow for dissent, so in the space of 10 seconds they were down to nine men (:rofl:). Ten minutes later they had another man sent off for a two-footed lunge. Despite playing a 3-3-1 formation for an hour the buggers still managed to keep the score to a semi-respectable 3-0. My guys need shooting practice, methinks.
Reply 75
In a season where i've done the double over Arsenal, my Tottenham side were confirmed as champions thanks to Man Utd's loss at...

...Arsenal :sogood:

Thanks guys :teehee:
Original post by Dalimyr
Go for a draw in the first game, so you might get them 5 games in a row :ninja:

A couple of hours ago I had a rather interesting game against Inverness Caley Thistle. Phil Neville (playing for ICT) got booked after about 3 minutes or something, then on 20 minutes an ICT defender got sent off for a foul when he was the last man. Neville argued with the ref about the card and got a second yellow for dissent, so in the space of 10 seconds they were down to nine men (:rofl:). Ten minutes later they had another man sent off for a two-footed lunge. Despite playing a 3-3-1 formation for an hour the buggers still managed to keep the score to a semi-respectable 3-0. My guys need shooting practice, methinks.

Yeah, I had a similar situaition to your's. A player got a straight red for a nasty challenge, then a player already on a yellow card goes and protests to the ref and he gets sent off as well.

Might be some kind of bug.
Reply 77
Negotiated a nice little deal for Suarez, £12mil plus Assou Ekkoto. Suarez accepted, BAE rejected Ajax. What a prick. I'm selling him out of hatred anyway now :colonhash:
Does anyone have any idea when this game will take a huge leap up in graphics and a huge leap up in terms of keeping the game easier to navigate?
Reply 79
anyone got any tips for starting a new season with arsenal, i.e. what players to sign?