The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Tbf, I think that talent in the reserves need a push in the first team as soon as possible. I had an 18 year old CB/RB. He was a talented youngster/potential world class. I played him at right back where he was ineffective but just for him to get games as he was a liability at centre back. There was an injury crisis and I was forced to play him at centre back, he then gets a rating of 7 that season and then becomes a world class player.

Now, another example, I had a midfielder with more potential than him, a 21 year old midfielder, had passing of 16, creativity 14, most of his attributes were blue, sort of like niko kranjcar a couple of years ago in FM. I had too many midfielders so I just put him in my B team where he played loads of games for a few seasons, he never made it past a squad player for my side.

This always happens no matter what.

One of the reasons I don't usually promote a player to the first team until they're about 23 is because they're pretty inconsistent before that age. Also it's perhaps possible that they'll burn out and peak too soon. I bought Miguel Angel Torren and he was my stellar right back since the age of 20 or 21, however by the time he was 28 he was Championship quality.

Did your player actually have more potential, as in the stat, or were you just judging by a few of his attributes?
Original post by Dalimyr
:rofl: On SI's forum there's a guy ranting about how "the AI [is] so much better at finishing", with pics showing that in a match as Villarreal against Sevilla, he had about 18 or 19 shots but failed to score, while Sevilla had one shot and scored it to win 1-0. A mod came on and said it's nothing to do with luck and winning a game isn't about quantity of shots but quality. He pointed out how a quarter of shots had missed the target completely, half were blocked and most of the rest were saved by the goalie, then he took pics from his Swansea game and posted them (showing things like a 1-1 draw with Arsenal where they had 20 shots (5 on target) and he had 1 shot). He had little captions with each pic, like "1 shot 1 goal", "Low number of shots but all quality", and then for the sixth pic his caption was "I'm the AI in your game".

This guy doesn't really take it in, and starts spamming the thread with craploads of posts showing much the same as in his Sevilla match - he has far more shots but isn't converting his chances. With one of them, he posts "Y U NO GOOD FINISHERS? Y U NO WORK, WORK BALL INTO BOX SHOUT? Zaragoza had no shots, not one shot. Is it my tactics? No. Losing faith."...along came another mod, to show that it was his tactics :p: He's presumably spotted the exact same thing that I saw - a lot of red dots from the six-yard line, indicating that quite a large chunk of the missed shots were headers from set pieces going into row Z...so he told the guy to go look at where the shots came from, and sure enough the majority of the shots inside the box were from set pieces and the open play shots were hit-and-hope hoofs from long range without any of Peter Crouch's luck. The guy gets a little help, tweaks his tactics, and next match he beats the league leaders 8-0. Though with so many set piece shots even when he was doing poorly, I wonder who the hell he's got in the box - central defenders and tall strikers can bang in goals for fun from corners, so does he have a team of midgets? :biggrin:

Have you got a link? :teehee:
Original post by TrulyEpicLawls
One of the reasons I don't usually promote a player to the first team until they're about 23 is because they're pretty inconsistent before that age. Also it's perhaps possible that they'll burn out and peak too soon. I bought Miguel Angel Torren and he was my stellar right back since the age of 20 or 21, however by the time he was 28 he was Championship quality.

Did your player actually have more potential, as in the stat, or were you just judging by a few of his attributes?

He had the potential to be a leading star, he was 2 star and had 4 star potential(I was a top 4 contender at the time and world class players were between 4-5 star for my team)

They usually don't peak too soon, originally I used to promote them around the age of 19/20 and make them starters when they got to 22 but since my youth squad became so good I started promoting them to the first team as backup around the age of 15-16 and make them starters when they get to 18/19.

Tbf there was one striker who peaked too early, he was getting to world class status at the age of 21 and I got him at the age of 18 and used him as a starter then he suffers 2 injuries around the end of the year in concecutive seasons, still has the pace and bags 10-20 goals a season but he's not the same player that he was before(got 14 goals in the champions league one season)
Reply 8443
Original post by CB91
Have you got a link? :teehee:
First two pages of http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303143-Why-is-the-AI-so-much-better-at-finishing/ (I haven't actually read the rest). Cleon and wwfan are the Tactics forum mods who get involved. I do quite enjoy wwfan putting people in their place when they talk crap on the forum. Who better to tell people "It's your tactics" than someone who not only mods the tactics forum but also helped design the tactics creator that's in the game? :biggrin:
Reply 8444
Does anybody else ****ing hate this game sometimes?
I'm Real Madrid btw

I dropped 12 points all season...

I'm red, Barcelona green.

I'm really not happy right now :angry:
Reply 8445
How can you be second in Ligue 1 with no real players? :confused:
Original post by Alexx53
Does anybody else ****ing hate this game sometimes?
I'm Real Madrid btw

I dropped 12 points all season...

I'm red, Barcelona green.

I'm really not happy right now :angry:

What doesn't that happen in real life?
How do you guys play against teams who deploy three AMCs? It's a formation which always causes me problems, no matter the quality of the opposition. I just can't seem to break up the neat inter-play which occurs in the final third. I don't care about not having the majority of possession so long as I'm creating the better scoring opportunities. But I'm not; I struggle to do so in fact. I play a 4-4-1-1, mainly due to the personnel I have at my disposal. Would it help to play with two strikers, instead of an AMC? And what about pressing and closing down should I employ a lot of both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 8448
Original post by Michaelking
What doesn't that happen in real life?

Oh yeah it does happen. I wasn't saying it was the games fault or it's being unrealistic, I just meant it really wound me up seeing it happen to me and watching my team somehow manage to not win the league :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8449
Original post by Dan4444
How can you be second in Ligue 1 with no real players? :confused:
Grey players are based to some extent on a club's reputation, so they're presumably good enough for a Ligue 1 side, and we've all seen teams way up the league that would never be there in real life (Bolton, Wigan, Wolves etc. fighting for Champions League spots, you know the sort of thing) so they've just got good enough grey players and results have gone their way.
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
How do you guys play against teams who deploy three AMCs? It's a formation which always causes me problems, no matter the quality of the opposition. I just can't seem to break up the neat inter-play which occurs in the final third. I don't care about not having the majority of possession so long as I'm creating the better scoring opportunities. But I'm not; I struggle to do so in fact. I play a 4-4-1-1, mainly due to the personnel I have at my disposal. Would it help to play with two strikers, instead of an AMC? And what about pressing and closing down should I employ a lot of both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I play a variation on a 4-3-3, with a DM and ball winner, a deep lying playmaker - then I tell the team to exploit the flanks, with full backs set to attack. Presuming the 3 AMCs are actually through the center, of course.
I'm a match or two away from finding out what happens when I have an unmoved club match and an international match at the exact same time and day.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm a match or two away from finding out what happens when I have a unmoved club match and an international match at the exact same time and day.

This doesn't end well for you.
All these clubs going after Luke Shaw, meh I signed him ages ago on FM12 :wink:
Original post by Kevmeister
I play a variation on a 4-3-3, with a DM and ball winner, a deep lying playmaker - then I tell the team to exploit the flanks, with full backs set to attack. Presuming the 3 AMCs are actually through the center, of course.

Yeah, I considered channelling the play chiefly down the flanks, seeing as the opposition is so narrow. I shall try it next time. And yeah the AMCs play predominately through the middle, though sometimes they're arrowed wide. I suppose having the full backs attack will somewhat negate their influence, though. Here's hoping, anyway.

Cheers, Kev.
In the middle of a massive pre-season with Villa. Not sure how I came to be playing the best part of 15 friendlies though o.0 I normally opt for 10 with 2 against my reserves (1 at the start of preseason and 1 the week before the real season starts). So far I've won every game, granted most have been against pushover opposition but I managed to beat Roma 3-0 which was nice.

I've made some quality signings:
Fierro (ST)
Romario (RB)
T. Hazard (AM)
Bruma (RW)
Branescu (GK)
Benedetti (CD)
Hargreaves (DM)

I haven't spent an awful lot, I wanted to get Niang as well but they wanted £18m for him and I'm only in my second season. I've a large surplus of strikers so I'm not that bothered.

I got rid of Hutton (RB) and Cuellar (CD) this window, they were on a combined total of £89k p/w and I wanted to push the youth through and clear up Villa's ridiculous wage bill. A fair few players were out of contract as well but they were mainly reserves/u18's.

My current first team for my second season:

GK
Given
Guzan
Branescu

RB
Lichaj
Romario

LB
Warnock
Stevens

CB
Dunne
Collins
Clark
Benedetti

DM
Makoun
Hargreaves

CM
Petrov
Bannan
Delph
Herd

RW
Albrighton
Bruma

LW
Agbonlahor
N'Zogbia

AM
Ireland
Hazard

ST
Bent
Delfouneso
Fierro
Sanogo
Weimann

My DM's can all play at CM and vice versa, making me think I've got too many, so I may loan a player or two out. I probably shouldn't have signed Hargreaves but he was free. Likewise 3/4 of my wingers can play on either side and Clark, Herd and Hargreaves can all play adequately in a number of positions.
A striker or two will go out on loan I think, and maybe Herd. Depends on injuries.

Current systems are 4-1-2-2-1, 4-2-3-1 (wide) and 4-2-2-2 (4-4-2 with pushed up wingers). I tried to get a formation together with 3 CB's and 2 strikers but I didn't have the personnel to fill the other areas (lack of wing backs).

A few screenshots...

Does anyone play midseason friendlies? When you're not in European competition, and there's an international break (assuming you don't manage an international team as well) I usually find myself playing the players not on duty against a random team, this one ended up in a drubbing...
2012-06-25_00002.jpg

This was the table halfway through my first season, compared with at the end. How times change, West Brom were top of the league for a considerable amount of games :L I was almost in contention for 4th.

2012-06-28_00001.jpg

2012-07-02_00002.jpg

England somehow beat Holland 7-0 during the Euros.

2012-07-02_00005.jpg

Sorry for the huge post. You can tell I'm off school with nout to do.

Disappointed to not get the Team GB job, can you manage any team in any future Olympics? (Assuming Team GB does not compete after 2012). I'm after an international job as well, hopefully England U21's.
Also, does anyone bother with the set piece creator?
Last question, promise. Since I signed Hazard, in every Board Confidence Update email, they say 'However, they are slightly disappointed with the current situation concerning the signing of Thorgan Hazard'. What do they mean by this? I do not know of any situation :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Yeah, I considered channelling the play chiefly down the flanks, seeing as the opposition is so narrow. I shall try it next time. And yeah the AMCs play predominately through the middle, though sometimes they're arrowed wide. I suppose having the full backs attack will somewhat negate their influence, though. Here's hoping, anyway.

Cheers, Kev.

Do you have a scout or two set to scout the opposition?

That'll give you a clue as to their weaknesses - the tricky part is balancing your squad's strengths in comparison to their weaknesses. As in, if you have great wingers and they're weak in central midfield then its pointless completely changing your tack to thwart one team.

I find it's best to have two variations on the same basic formation - I play a '4-3-3'. One is with a DM, box-box and DLP, while the other is with two CMs and an AM. Both formations with wingers, as that's probably my strongest position beyond defense.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8457
Has anyone seen any ridiculous stadium names?

Liverpool's new stadium is called the Lucas Leiva stadium on my game :laugh:
Reply 8458
I'm a match or two away from finding out what happens when I have an unmoved club match and an international match at the exact same time and day.
Depending on how many of your players are missing, you could find yourself just having to replace one or two guys, or be forced to field a team of reserves and youths because all your senior squad members on international duty are ineligible to play :p: (and, for that matter, they can't play for a day or two either side of the fixture either because they have to take time to travel to/from the international match)
Original post by biggie
Has anyone seen any ridiculous stadium names?

Liverpool's new stadium is called the Lucas Leiva stadium on my game :laugh:

What year are you in and what did he do to get the stadium named after him?!

Latest