The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Why is Lenton so popular?

I'm in the process of choosing a house for next year and literally everyone from my halls is moving to Lenton!!!! Why's it so popular. I know it's where most students live but it seems that if you don't lvie in Lenton, you're missing out on the fun.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UniUni
I'm in the process of choosing a house for next year and literally everyone from my halls is moving to Lenton!!!! Why's it so popular. I know it's where most students live but it seems that if you don't lvie in Lenton, you're missing out on the fun.

Primarily because it's where a large portion of the students are, simple as. It's not always too badly priced, and it's walking distance from town.

Honestly though, I wouldn't bother - crime is higher there than say Wollaton, Beeston, Dunkirk; it's often more expensive; it's further away from campus than places like Dunkirk; I'm not really a fan of the look of it; and I'd rather live somewhere which isn't student-ville which turns into a ghost town over the holidays.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
They go there because everyone else does; it's a vicious circle. Also, there's a lot of cheap housing built for factory workers and the like that is easy to convert into rental accom. for students. Wollaton and to a lesser extent Beeston don't have nearly as many houses available to rent.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm living in Lenton next year, mainly because we spoke to a few community police officers whilst we were out and about who said crime was no better or worse than other student areas, which was our main concern, (although there is a small area around off the southern section of Lenton Boulevard that when we spoke to some current tenants said was prone to burglaries).

I want to be near all my friends, somewhere in between the city and the UoN and. . . I adore my films so I'll be hitting the Savoy no doubt. :p:

And in terms of pricing, as long as you take the time to look around you can get a great deal. Our rent is £60 pppw next year in the centre of Lenton for a really nice, clean, well kept little house. :smile:
Reply 4
Same reason facebook's popular. Because its convenient and thats where everyone else is.
It's a great location for getting to town (15 minute walk to Rock City's doorstep. Oh yes. :biggrin:) and to uni, and yeah, everyone else is there.

However, it's noisy as hell. I was living in a room towards the back of my house on Kimbolton Avenue, but I could still hear people shouting and screaming during the night as they came home drunk. Also, my house at least was so hard to heat. We ran up sizeable energy bills, but we were never 'warm'. I don't know if it's the case in all the houses in Lenton, but on that side of Derby Road, the houses all look quite old, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were just as bad.

If I could go back and re-think my second year accomodation, I'd choose Beeston, personally.
Original post by Fjarskafinn
It's a great location for getting to town (15 minute walk to Rock City's doorstep. Oh yes. :biggrin:) and to uni, and yeah, everyone else is there.

However, it's noisy as hell. I was living in a room towards the back of my house on Kimbolton Avenue, but I could still hear people shouting and screaming during the night as they came home drunk. Also, my house at least was so hard to heat. We ran up sizeable energy bills, but we were never 'warm'. I don't know if it's the case in all the houses in Lenton, but on that side of Derby Road, the houses all look quite old, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were just as bad.

If I could go back and re-think my second year accomodation, I'd choose Beeston, personally.

Did you have double glazing? :smile:
I'm just worried about the heat/noise because we're very close to lenton boulevard
Reply 7
It's popular because it's like one huge student village. Every Nottingham University student and their dog live in Lenton during their 2nd and 3rd years. There's a buzz about Lenton due to the sheer number of students and there are always parties going on which make the area attractive to students.

It's also popular because as others have mentioned it's conveniently located near both town and the University. It also has all the amenities students need such as pubs, takeaways, kebab shops plus the two Sainsburys supermarkets - the small one in Lenton Boulevard and the big one on Castle Bridge Road.

I heard that Lenton now consists of 66% students and there are several streets which consist entirely of student housing!!! :eek: I feel sorry for the local residents.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I lived in Lenton in my second year and will be living there in my fourth when I get back from my year abroad.

I would recommend it, even if you're not the sort of person who goes out every night (like me). It's so convenient for town AND uni (about 20 mins to both depending on whereabouts you live). Not to mention the supermarkets (as somebody already mentioned there are two Sainsburys and the Tesco) and the Savoy is right nearby. I never had bad problems with noise, except maybe at the end of exam period- which I can understand!

I had friends who lived in Beeston last year and it was such a trek for them if they wanted to go to town, and significantly higher taxi fares when getting back after a night out.

Perhaps some of the houses in Beeston are nicer, but there are still some great houses in Lenton. I lived in a lovely house on Trinity Avenue and paid £64 p/w and couldn't have been happier.

One problem of Lenton is higher crime levels, but as long as you're sensible, you'll be absolutely fine :smile:
Original post by Fjarskafinn

I live on the same street but have never noticed the noise-then again I live quite far down. And our downstairs is pretty cold too! Some of the rooms are quite a bit colder than the others though-in our house about 2 of them are colder than the other 4.
I live in Beeston now and live in a great, comfortable house and paying a decent rent. It's out the way as well which means peace and an easy life.

Looks like we're moving to Lenton next year and I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of it.
Reply 11
Original post by cunningstunt87

Looks like we're moving to Lenton next year and I can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of it.

Why not? You'll be living in 'student central' which means you'll be close to most of your mates and live in an area with a buzzing atmosphere. Plus, you're close to both university and town and you're able to take advantage of all the other benefits of living in Lenton that have been mentioned in other posts.

Sounds like you made the right choice to me.
Other places are cheaper than Lenton but Lenton does have a certain student buzz you don't get elsewhere. It might not be worth the extra money you pay but at the end of the day, you only get to be a student once...
Original post by R_Smith
Why not? You'll be living in 'student central' which means you'll be close to most of your mates and live in an area with a buzzing atmosphere. Plus, you're close to both university and town and you're able to take advantage of all the other benefits of living in Lenton that have been mentioned in other posts.

Sounds like you made the right choice to me.

I'm 24 and I don't interact brilliantly with most people 5 years younger than me. I'm moving to the other side of campus to my lectures, moving a 2 minute drive from work to a 10 minute drive, I do most of my shopping online and don't go to many of the student nights out.

Blinding!!
Reply 14
What crime rate thing?
Reply 15
student houses get burgled quite frequently purely because students are too lazy/stupid to lock their doors when they go down the pub.

There are no really rough areas in Notts like you get in London, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool etc etc. The Meadows and St Anns and some areas of Radford should be avoided if you are on your own after midnight, but I see no reason why a student would be anywhere near these areas. 99 times out of 100 nothing bad would happen even if you did wander through them.

The campus, the student areas surrounding it and the city centre itself are as safe as anywhere in the country in my opinion.
Original post by py0alb
student houses get burgled quite frequently purely because students are too lazy/stupid to lock their doors when they go down the pub.

Is ignorance really bliss?

How about student houses aren't built very securely? Or that they are vacated during holidays (both people I know who were burgled got done during the Christmas break)? Or that most students live in one large triangular area of Lenton? Or the absence of any sort of community? Or......

You get the idea.

The rest of your post is spot on.
Reply 17
Is ignorance really bliss?

How about student houses aren't built very securely? Or that they are vacated during holidays (both people I know who were burgled got done during the Christmas break)? Or that most students live in one large triangular area of Lenton? Or the absence of any sort of community? Or......

You get the idea.

The rest of your post is spot on.

well yeah, all of these things. the point is that the crime is there because it follows the students, who tend to have lots of expensive items in poorly secured houses. there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the area itself.
Reply 18
I'm 24 and I don't interact brilliantly with most people 5 years younger than me. I'm moving to the other side of campus to my lectures, moving a 2 minute drive from work to a 10 minute drive, I do most of my shopping online and don't go to many of the student nights out.

Blinding!!

Ok fair enough, each to their own!! However, I still think you're mssing out on the 'student vibe' in Lenton but if you're happy then that's cool!!
Reply 19
Original post by frank070691
I lived in Lenton in my second year and will be living there in my fourth when I get back from my year abroad.

I would recommend it, even if you're not the sort of person who goes out every night (like me). It's so convenient for town AND uni (about 20 mins to both depending on whereabouts you live). Not to mention the supermarkets (as somebody already mentioned there are two Sainsburys and the Tesco) and the Savoy is right nearby. I never had bad problems with noise, except maybe at the end of exam period- which I can understand!

I had friends who lived in Beeston last year and it was such a trek for them if they wanted to go to town, and significantly higher taxi fares when getting back after a night out.

Perhaps some of the houses in Beeston are nicer, but there are still some great houses in Lenton. I lived in a lovely house on Trinity Avenue and paid £64 p/w and couldn't have been happier.

One problem of Lenton is higher crime levels, but as long as you're sensible, you'll be absolutely fine :smile:

Oh yes, I forgot about the Tesco Express. Yet another good reason to live in Lenton if you're a student at Nottingham University. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending