The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kind of stupid question. the answer is logical. it deals with genetics. moral does not matter in that poit.....
Reply 41
Original post by Lewroll
Are you seriously suggesting that incest should be legal?
how would you feel if your brother and sister told you they had been having sex?

No, but I do think cases against incest should be based on practicality and not bigotry.

how would you feel if your brother and sister told you they had been having sex?

Honestly, I'd find that uncomfortable - but it's still their right to have sex if they're both consenting and mature. The issue of children isn't one I'm decided on. One possibility to the genetic problem could be IVF children, in a similar manner to the service offered to couples with genetic diseases.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by davie18
Well for anyone who says it should be illegal for the reason that their children will have a higher chance of getting certain disabilities, would you then also say it should be illegal for people with serious inheritable diseases to have kids?

If not, then why are they any different?

THIS.
Imprisoned? Really? That seems a little bit harsh.
"Why are disabled parents allowed to have children, or people with hereditary diseases or women over 40? No-one says that is a crime."

If you think incest should be illegal, then you should think disabled people having sex should be illegal as well.
Reply 45
Original post by Huskaris
*Scratches head*
I believe that as long as what you are doing harms no one else then it is OK. So if contraception was used every time. I really really hate to say this, but it would be none of my business and I wouldn't be able to criticise them. But I hope they would have the decency to not wave it in my face.

That's probably how they prevent population booms in Norfolk, just make them wear condoms.

Rationality has prevailed.
Reply 46
To be honest I don't think the state should have any say in the matter. The way you guys are treating this issue is exactly how the state treated the issue of homosexuality 50 years ago.
Reply 47
Original post by Scribblet
I would say: yeah... I sort of realised you've had sex before.

Brother and sister? I don't see how you can justify it.

That's because it doesn't need to be justified.
Original post by milkytea
Obviously that's an important point, but would you stop people with serious inheritable disabilities from reproducing if they wish to do so? Isn't it much the same?

Valid point, but you could have a very long debate about that too 'is it selfish for someone with Huntington's disease to have a child given the risks?'. But for that I don't really have an answer :\

I suppose the difference is that if you had a genetic disorder such as Huntington's if you had the money you could actually have a designer baby free of any genetic disease and therefore removing the risk from future generations.

However with siblings there would be no way around the fact that one way or the other, even with designer babies, you would be narrowing the gene pool which could eventually down the line lead to mutations from inbreeding.

I suppose it all comes down to what people know, and the problem here is that people have been taught that incest is wrong, and therefore it's all they know. You could argue that through use of designer babies you could prevent the mutations that arise from inbreeding too. Kudos. :smile:
Original post by .Ali.
I agree it's not right, but I feel sorry for them because they were seperated for years, and so they wouldn't have grown up together and wouldn't emotionally feel like brother and sister.

I couldnt care less whether they were raised apart or not. Once they found out they were siblings they should have stopped. Is this the future of our country? People having sex with their siblings? :facepalm:
Reply 50
Original post by Stefan1991
There is no such thing as "unnatural", if humans ever exhibit incestuous behaviour than it is by the very definition "natural".

I'm guessing you are prejudiced against homosexuals aswell? Crime against the mystical spiritual entity which is nature after all..

Using that logic, nuclear warfare, genetic modification and petrochemical products are all natural.

No. Anything produced by humans is described as artificial.

You should really learnt the definitions of words before lecturing people.
So if you had a sibling who said they'd like to have sex with you... you wouldn't be slightly disturbed?! I would =S
Reply 52
Rationality has prevailed.

LOL @ you thinking your rational. The person you quoted explicitly mentions not causing harm to other people.

The kids that the parents produced, have an astronomically higher chance of having a genetic disease/disability. That is harm to other peolple.

You sir, are an idiot.
Reply 53
Original post by Lewroll
I couldnt care less whether they were raised apart or not. Once they found out they were siblings they should have stopped. Is this the future of our country? People having sex with their siblings? :facepalm:

No and it isn't right, but if they didn't know, they wouldn't have the emotional attatchment and familial feelings that would make it awkward. So imagine if you love someone, and you find out they're your half sister or something. It would be hard to suddenly stop loving them.
Reply 54
Well in this case that that Stefan1991 is talking bout, the article said that this dude met his sister wen he was 23 because he had been put up for adoption. so eventhough their biologically brother n sister, he's never had a sisterly love for her and never really seen her as a sister, more just a lover.

though im not saying that im for incest, i agree that it is completely wrong, im just saying that i can understand in a way why he'd done it. You wouldnt see him having a relationship with his foster sister (if he has one) even though he's not technically related, because he would have sisterly love for her.....
Reply 55
Reply 56
Original post by DJ_Black
Your clearly an idiot. Incest means sex between people who are blood relations. My mum and my dad aren't blood relations, so your logic fails.

Also, to answer the title question: Because we live in a democracy, and I can't imagine any party getting elected on the platform of legalising incest.

Yes but the thought of your mum and dad having sex will produce that icky eerie feeling associated with incestuous sex (for most people).

Someone said incest is wrong because of that icky feeling, then your mum and dad having sex would be "wrong" also.
Original post by Formica
Honestly, I'd find that uncomfortable - but it's still their right to have sex if they're both consenting and mature. The issue of children isn't one I'm decided on. One possibility to the genetic problem could be IVF children, in a similar manner to the service offered to couples with genetic diseases.

:lolwut: I don't even know what to say. Is this the direction society is going in? I'm actually quite shocked.
Reply 58
What would you do if your mum came home one day and said she had raunchy sex with your dad. Oh, would you feel sick then too? Better ban parental sex aswell.

Well you parents don't have blood relation with each other do they and yes I would feel sick I don't want to hear about my parents sex life.
Reply 59
Original post by Lewroll
What on earth are you talking about? That is completely different, I am not a child, I know my parents have sex. But my parents arent blood relatives. Incest is disgusting.
Nice way to avoid my question as well:rolleyes:

Disgusting doesn't equal wrong. Maybe you are too narrow-minded to realise that?

What question? Why does it make a difference if they are blood relatives?

Latest

Trending

Trending