The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Stefan1991
Meet Patrick and Susan. A young couple, and in love, with four children. However their life was torn apart when the state and society deemed their relationship "unnatural" and "immoral", and imprisoned them both. This was because they just happened to be brother and sister.

Patrick and Susan were jailed repeatedly for one crime, loving each other. Since then their children have been forced into care, and the lovers were separated from them and each other for many years.

How can anyone argue this is moral? Who has the right to say that a consensual relationship is wrong?

Discuss.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6424937.stm

I don't think its right to bring kids into the world when you know there is a high chance of them being deformed or having some kind of problem. Having a relationship with each other should not being illegal, but having children should be.
Original post by davie18
Well for anyone who says it should be illegal for the reason that their children will have a higher chance of getting certain disabilities, would you then also say it should be illegal for people with serious inheritable diseases to have kids?

If not, then why are they any different?

I'm guessing it's because the incestuous people have the option to mate with other unrelated people, and thus create less of a risk of mutations, whereas the disabled people don't have this choice.

Being devil's advocate is fun, I don't really care.
Reply 122
Original post by sherlllll
Can you not have really close relationships that don't involve sex? I think it's a pretty sad thing if you can't.

In my opinion not everything can be reduced to love of the flesh.

I love my sister/brothers to the extent of dying for them I guess and it's a mutual feeling. However there is no sexual attraction there.

Why is sexual intimacy inferior to all other types of intimacy? I was just wondering why you would call it "base". You could call you loving your brother "base", you only love him because you are genetically predisposed to have empathy for your family in order to protect them and prolong your gene's survival. Not very romantic if you put it like that.

Your chemical reaction in the brain to make you love your brother is not somehow superior to my chemical reaction in my brain to have sex with an attractive girl. They are both there just so we can survive and reproduce.
Two consenting individuals using contraception, harming no one and improving each others lives with a loving relationship is not wrong; regardless of sex, species, age or relation.

The problem is that, that is never the case. By engaging in incest you are making it more likely for other people to partake in the act who won't use contraception; resulting in genetic defects that cause a lot of suffering to the children and to the families. You are indirectly increasing the suffering of other individuals, which is wrong.
It is ignorance that leads individuals to believe that people different from them MUST be mentally ill. Otherwise, how can they think like that?

People are different, maybe when you're older you will learn to accept that.

Why are you so dead set against freedom?

Yes I do, along with prostitution, drugs, other types of consensual sex etc.

Incestuous couples don't have a choice who they fall in love with.

omg...why should incest be legal...you do no the kids are most likely going to be born with diseases...you have to think it won't just affect their kids it might affect their kids, kids
Reply 125
Original post by Joluk
I don't think its right to bring kids into the world when you know there is a high chance of them being deformed or having some kind of problem. Having a relationship with each other should not being illegal, but having children should be.

I'd say this standpoint makes sense, although it doesn't rule out homosexual incestuous relationships and "contraceptive" heterosexual relationships.
Reply 126
What would you do if your mum came home one day and said she had raunchy sex with your dad. Oh, would you feel sick then too? Better ban parental sex aswell.

But generally your parents aren't in an incestuous relationship, their bond is their marriage... It would be creepy for your mother to say that but not for the same reason :lolwut:
Why is sexual intimacy inferior to all other types of intimacy? I was just wondering why you would call it "base". You could call you loving your brother "base", you only love him because you are genetically predisposed to have empathy for your family in order to protect them and prolong your gene's survival. Not very romantic if you put it like that.

Your chemical reaction in the brain to make you love your brother is not somehow superior to my chemical reaction in my brain to have sex with an attractive girl. They are both there just so we can survive and reproduce.

I am inclined to believe that sexual intimacy stems around instantaneous gratification. With no effort at all, you can maintain a sexually intimate relationship, yet for other relationships you have to work hard for that level of love, trust and intimacy.

If you wish to reduce feelings to a biological level here, I could say that due to genetic defects that have been noted from incestuous relationships in humans, inbreeding is not the best option for protecting and prolonging your gene's survival. I doubt that we were intended for incest if the biological product is one that is defective.

Additionally, you're not predisposed to view siblings in an incestuous manner. I don't think it's just a chemical reaction, I think its being in close proximity to a person who is recognised to be one of the people on the earth most likely to represent yourself that forms the loving core of filial relationships.
Reply 128
It should be legal but not legal to have kids.
Though I think there are a lot of non-incestuous(word?) couples who have kids who I think shouldn't and they're not arrested so meh.
EMZ=]
Original post by Joinedup
No - in the same way is it's wrong to compare this situation with homosexuality.

it's the difference between telling an individual they can't have any sex at all and telling an individual that there's millions of people thay can have sex with - just as long as they're not immediate family members.

---
BTW if you're in favour of siblings having kids together, should they be allowed to marry? cos even in jurisdictions that don't have laws against incest, incestuous marriage is always forbidden afaik.

So it's ok to have kids when there's a 50% chance they will have an uncurable genetic disease which is guaranteed to kill them, yet it's not ok to have kids when there's a miniscule chance they may have some genetic defect.

I'm not advocating incest, I think it's pretty disgusting, but making it illegal is wrong imo. You can't help who you fall in love with, just as you can't help being disabled/having a genetic disease. I just feel that making it illegal on the grounds that it increases the chance of genetic problems is wrong when people with genetic diseases are allowed to have kids - with far higher chance of problems.

ok.
(edited 13 years ago)
It is ignorance that leads individuals to believe that people different from them MUST be mentally ill. Otherwise, how can they think like that?

People are different, maybe when you're older you will learn to accept that.

Why are you so dead set against freedom?

There is a difference between freedom and letting people do whatever they feel like. What if a 50 year old man and a 14 year old girl wanted to have sex. Both of them consented and the girls family are ok with it. I bet you would let that happen as well.
Don't patronise me. I know all about freedom, and I think that it is generally accepted what humans should and shouldnt do.
Insect is sickening.
Reply 131
Meh! Give it a few more years...it'd be more or less accepted.

It's a FREE society. 'Member dat...:hand:
Reply 132
Original post by Lewroll
There is a difference between freedom and letting people do whatever they feel like. What if a 50 year old man and a 14 year old girl wanted to have sex. Both of them consented and the girls family are ok with it. I bet you would let that happen as well.
Don't patronise me. I know all about freedom, and I think that it is generally accepted what humans should and shouldnt do.
Insect is sickening.

You haven't really put a point across rather an arbitrary one that is appealing to emotion...live and let live
I think if you are suggesting that children unfortunately born with a hereditary transmitted disease are all "mutants", it is extremely disgusting and disrespectful to use such a derogatory term. Go **** yourself.

In genetic terms, which are clearly the terms we're speaking in, a mutant is the product of genetic mutations. These mutations can have a number of causes, and not all mutations are detrimental to the host. In this sense they are mutants, but I don't think it's a very useful label in this context, since in evolutionary terms we're all mutants of some sort. I am, however, advocating the view that incest increases the chance of detrimental genetic mutations.
Original post by Hamesh
You haven't really put a point across rather an arbitrary one that is appealing to emotion...live and let live

I have put a perfectly good argument. You people have a weird view of freedom. Well heres a newsflash, society doesnt work like that. Rules are needed. Yes rules change, but the core rules should remain, and for good reason too. So don't kill anyone, don't steal and don't **** your sister.

I have nothing more to say on this topic.
Reply 135
Original post by Lewroll
I have put a perfectly good argument. You people have a weird view of freedom. Well heres a newsflash, society doesnt work like that. Rules are needed. Yes rules change, but the core rules should remain, and for good reason too. So don't kill anyone, don't steal and don't **** your sister.

I have nothing more to say on this topic.

Who decides what's right or wrong?
Meet Patrick and Susan. A young couple, and in love, with four children. However their life was torn apart when the state and society deemed their relationship "unnatural" and "immoral", and imprisoned them both. This was because they just happened to be brother and sister.

Patrick and Susan were jailed repeatedly for one crime, loving each other. Since then their children have been forced into care, and the lovers were separated from them and each other for many years.

How can anyone argue this is moral? Who has the right to say that a consensual relationship is wrong?

Discuss.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6424937.stm

I didn't realise Germany was in the UK...

(out of interest, are the UK's laws the same?)
I imagine it is illegal firstly because of the risks to potential children, and secondly because of a perceived risk of certain family members taking advantage.

So loving incestuous couples without children (either hetero- or homosexual) are tarred with the same brush as situations where we might want prevention (such as couples deciding to risk having children when they know the chance of complications is high). I don't think this is fair, and it should not be illegal - whether it is 'wrong' or not doesn't matter, the state has no place interfering in situations where no non-trivial harm is being done.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by NS17
This is insane, how can so many people advocate incest?

It's scientifically proven to accelerate the potential for genetic disease in newborn children. It's also wrong on a social level, for all the pro-incest posters, would you **** your own sister? Because that's the impression I get from reading this thread. Incest is wrong, there are laws against it for a good reason.

Society needs rules, without them there would be no society. Incest is wrong and directly harms humans as a race, some uncontrollable desire to **** your own sister isn't even close to a good reason to repeal the laws banning it. Why would you even want too? I don't get the thinking behind some posters on here, there IS a hell of a lot of things wrong with screwing your blood relations.

Some people on here just like being controversial/trolls. That's the only possible reason I can think of the number of pro-incest replies.

So you advocate eugenics?
Reply 139
i know i sound stupid but whats insest?

Latest

Trending

Trending