The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandora.
Wiki won't load for me, so I have to ask - when does Wimbledon start?

20th june- 3rd july:smile:
Original post by doctorwho_freak
20th june- 3rd july:smile:

Reply 182
Cilic gone already, to some Spaniard in straight sets.

Underwhelming first day with the best players not playing tbh.
Reply 183
^Yeah, I can't understand why the schedulers did that... surely they want to attract crowds right from the start!?

Anyway, I'm intrigued about this years's FO. Can't see anything other than a Rafa vs Nole final which should be immense. I'd have to favour Rafa over 5 sets but with the unbelievable form Nole's in, who knows what could happen?
Great win today for Heather Watson....apparently the first British woman to get to round 2 at the FO since 1994.
Reply 185
Berdych... out! Knocked out by a Frenchman ranked #140 in the world after being 2 sets to 0 up, a break up in the 5th set, AND had a match point.

And to be honest... I can't say I'm that surprised, not one of the strongest players in terms of mental strength.

Regarding the possible Djokodal final, here's an interesting stat; since 2006 the 2nd has won every year. This year that would be Novak!

I hope they both reach the final, if only one of them does (regardless of who it is) it would feel all too inevitable. At least if they both make it the result won't feel like a foregone conclusion.
Roger Federer ousts Feliciano Lopez.
Delpo survives against Karlovic.
Monfils beats Phau to reach 2nd round.
TOMORROW's MATCHES:

[1] R Nadal (ESP) vs J Isner (USA)
[4] A Murray (GBR) vs E Prodon (FRA)
B Becker (GER) vs [5] R Soderling (SWE)
A Beck (GER) vs [8] J Melzer (AUT)
[11] N Almagro (ESP) vs L Kubot (POL)
Nadal is in trouble!
Reply 189
Wtf?! Nadal is 2 sets to 1 DOWN against John Isner!
Isner is playing so well and that was a great hold at the start of the fourth after being 0-30. I had a cheeky each-way bet on Almagro and it looks like he's going out to Kubot since he's a break down in the fifth after being 2 sets up.
Reply 191
Rafa appears to be restoring order to the tennis world, he's a break up in the 5th (his first 5th set at the French Open!).
Charming French crowd, as always, support anyone and everyone who plays against Rafa.
Original post by Sirocco11
Charming French crowd, as always, support anyone and everyone who plays against Rafa.

If the French aren't fond of someone they let it be known. In this instance, however, I imagine the match could've been played anywhere and Isner would've had pretty much all the support, simply because we all love an underdog giving it a go.
Nadal-Isner was epic! I was secretly hoping to witness the biggest upset in history but fair play to Rafa cos he battled well at the end. Isner's game is actually suited to Nadal cos he can easily counter his heavy topspin which has caused so much trouble in the past for the likes of Federer.....the conditions were also very fast out there today which will benefit Djokovic+Murray.
how long do you think djokovic's run will last - surely not long, i think his attitude isnt right, he seems to be too "full of it" ! (similar to what murray was a few months ago>>)
Original post by sunshinesmile10
how long do you think djokovic's run will last - surely not long, i think his attitude isnt right, he seems to be too "full of it" ! (similar to what murray was a few months ago>>)

Djokovic is certainly very confident now....40 something straight wins and 7 straight vs Federer+Nadal. I think he'll win the French but probably go on to lose at Queens.
Original post by Rachael.
^Yeah, I can't understand why the schedulers did that... surely they want to attract crowds right from the start!?

Anyway, I'm intrigued about this years's FO. Can't see anything other than a Rafa vs Nole final which should be immense. I'd have to favour Rafa over 5 sets but with the unbelievable form Nole's in, who knows what could happen?

A year or two ago I'd favour Rafa over 5 sets against pretty much anyone.

Now, I doubt it. It's unlikely to go to 5 sets. I'd say 4 as a Rafa fan - in all likelihood Djokovic will win in straight sets.
Djoker playing Del Potro tomorrow, hoping for a good match
Clijsters out, her worst grand slam result in the last nine years.. she was leading only to let two match points go and for Rus to come back at her. 114th in the world Rus is ranked. That's some win for her!

Nadal made that hard for himself again too. He struggled and that was a long challenging match for him. Andujar fatigued quite a bit though, and made silly errors..possibly if it was someone else, Nadal could have been in trouble.

Latest