The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Wozniacki getting schooled by Hantuchova, 6-1 and 4-0 down :eek: I'm glad though, it's embarrassing that a pusher is WTA no. 1 :facepalm2:
Hantuchova is absolutely crushing Woz atm.
Do players who've never won a grand slam deserve the top ranking? I've never thought so, and Wozniacki's defeat today supports that. It's like Safina a couple years ago. These players win lots of small tournaments, but are unable to rise to the big occasion and ultimately fizzle.

I think Wozniacki will win a grand slam one day though, but IMO she isn't the world's best player as the rankings suggest.
Well the time for that is quickly running out since Serena Williams should be returning later this year, and Woz is not particularly proficient on grass. She's simply not aggressive enough, and hit only around a 3rd of Hantuchova's number today. She relies on her opponents hitting unforced errors, and when that doesn't happen as with Hantuchova's excellent performance today, she gets outhit.

Can't see anyone stopping Sharapova now, maybe Azarenka.
Original post by Elbonian
Do players who've never won a grand slam deserve the top ranking? I've never thought so, and Wozniacki's defeat today supports that. It's like Safina a couple years ago. These players win lots of small tournaments, but are unable to rise to the big occasion and ultimately fizzle.

I think Wozniacki will win a grand slam one day though, but IMO she isn't the world's best player as the rankings suggest.

I disagree. The rankings reward consistency over the year, not just four tournaments. Furthermore, considering that so much weight is given to the majors in terms of points available I think it is more impressive to become No. 1 having not won a major title. It means that you have performed well in the tournaments that offer less points, therefore your consistency is rewarded.

Under the current ranking system I think you have to accept that Wozniacki is the best player in the world. The rankings don't lie and there's no point having them if you're not going to accept what they tell you.

Lendl, Rios, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki all deserve a lot credit for having achieved the feat.
What is wrong with the women? Clijsters, Stosur, Wozniacki, Goerges all out so early on...
Reply 226
Wozniacki needs to attack more and get a weapon because when she attacks she actually plays better. I think this either Azarenka or Sharapova's to win. Schiavone and Kuznetsova may surprise us though...
Reply 227
Oh ffs, close this out Wawa so BBC switch to Delpo vs Djokovic! :banghead:
Reply 228
Don't want anyone to close this out just yet, it's a great match :coma:

Edit- ok, have it your way :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Glad to see Jankovic and Sharapova still going strong. Shocked that Clijsters and Wozniacki have gone so soon. Really wish Baltacha and Watson had stayed a bit longer, but I wasn't expecting too much - good on them to get throigh to second round though, better luck on home turf hopefully.
Reply 230
Original post by Louis.
Don't want anyone to close this out just yet, it's a great match :coma:

Edit- ok, have it your way :colonhash:

Haha :tongue: Delpo already a break down! :eek:
Reply 231
Original post by Rachael.
Haha :tongue: Delpo already a break down! :eek:

Don't think it's much of a surprise really, I never saw this as a contest :dontknow:
Vamos Delpo ! Put a fight !

Djoker's getting distracted by the furore outside the court it seems.
Reply 233
Oh myyyy forgot how much I love JMDP
It's silly that they aren't letting the people in, well some of them. There are quite a few empty spaces, and whilst there's a break in between the games, surely they could try and filter the people in quietly? It must be quite off putting for the guys to have so much noise going on outside.

The Bellucci vs Gasquet match was good! Bellucci didn't really play as well as he has done before but credit to the guy, he never gave up and made it last a good 3 hours, plus Gasquet had the whole crowd behind him and making great noise for him, so Bellucci did well considering.
Reply 235
Hi there! Not posted here before but sort-of-kind-of a huge tennis fan!

Loved the Gasquet/Bellucci match today. (Richard is quite possibly my favourite tennis player.) I found out I got Olympics tickets for the tennis as well, so a pretty good day, all in all!
Original post by hollabee
Hi there! Not posted here before but sort-of-kind-of a huge tennis fan!

Loved the Gasquet/Bellucci match today. (Richard is quite possibly my favourite tennis player.) I found out I got Olympics tickets for the tennis as well, so a pretty good day, all in all!

That's great news but how do you know what tickets you've got?
Reply 237
Original post by kbountra
That's great news but how do you know what tickets you've got?

I applied for 3 sessions of tennis and I've been charged £60, which is the amount the Wednesday court 1 tickets were, it's just a process of elimination really.

I've been so lucky to get that though, seen tweets from people who applied for thousands of pounds worth of tickets and not got any tennis at all.
Original post by hollabee
I applied for 3 sessions of tennis and I've been charged £60, which is the amount the Wednesday court 1 tickets were, it's just a process of elimination really.

I've been so lucky to get that though, seen tweets from people who applied for thousands of pounds worth of tickets and not got any tennis at all.

You are the first person I've heard on tsr to have got tickets....you must be thrilled. I applied to men's 2nd round centre court (price band C) as well as men's semis (band D). I'm praying for men's 2nd round atm!
Amazing fightback from Wawrinka there...

I'm hoping 5 sets for Djokovic/Del potro. Should be pretty epic

Latest