The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

3 set shootout it is. Unfortunately for Del Potro I think it favours Djokovic who'll be able to erase his mind a bit because it seemed as if the tide was turning and DP was getting on top of the rallies.

I would love to see Delpo pull of the incredible because he's one of my favourite players, but as a Rafa fan I want to see him and Novak in the final in a battle royale.

And please keep it simple tomorrow Rafa.
Original post by Sirocco11
3 set shootout it is. Unfortunately for Del Potro I think it favours Djokovic who'll be able to erase his mind a bit because it seemed as if the tide was turning and DP was getting on top of the rallies.

I would love to see Delpo pull of the incredible because he's one of my favourite players, but as a Rafa fan I want to see him and Novak in the final in a battle royale.

And please keep it simple tomorrow Rafa.

It's a bit of a shame that Davydenko lost last round cos him vs Rafa would have been a great match. It should be Nadal in straights but given his unpredictability who knows?
Original post by TheMagicRat
I disagree. The rankings reward consistency over the year, not just four tournaments. Furthermore, considering that so much weight is given to the majors in terms of points available I think it is more impressive to become No. 1 having not won a major title. It means that you have performed well in the tournaments that offer less points, therefore your consistency is rewarded.

Under the current ranking system I think you have to accept that Wozniacki is the best player in the world. The rankings don't lie and there's no point having them if you're not going to accept what they tell you.

Lendl, Rios, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki all deserve a lot credit for having achieved the feat.

The rankings isn't a person.. besides, it's a heavily flawed system. You can win small tournaments but no top player takes one as seriously as a grand slam. Many of these tournaments are used as warm up tournaments for grand slams. Many top players don't bother putting their all into non-grand slams, so it effectively means little to nothing if Wozniacki beats other top players who aren't putting in their 100 percent. She got knocked out pretty bad today, and she could well turn out to be like Safina and fizzle having never won a grand slam. That's why I think the Ranking system is heavily flawed. It's like the football world ranking, with the U.S.A as top 10 which everyone would agree is utter toss. They managed to beat top teams like Brazil and Spain in unimportant tournaments, so consistency in winning small tournament matches doesn't necessarily make you the best team (in the U.S.A's football team case, certainly far from it).

Until she wins her first grand slam, the creme de la creme of tennis tournaments, I cannot regard her as the world's best player. At most it's a level playing field. Of course it's a subjective feat, so we can agree to disagree.
Original post by Elbonian
The rankings isn't a person.. besides, it's a heavily flawed system. You can win small tournaments but no top player takes one as seriously as a grand slam. Many of these tournaments are used as warm up tournaments for grand slams. Many top players don't bother putting their all into non-grand slams, so it effectively means little to nothing if Wozniacki beats other top players who aren't putting in their 100 percent. She got knocked out pretty bad today, and she could well turn out to be like Safina and fizzle having never won a grand slam. That's why I think the Ranking system is heavily flawed. It's like the football world ranking, with the U.S.A as top 10 which everyone would agree is utter toss. They managed to beat top teams like Brazil and Spain in unimportant tournaments, so consistency in winning small tournament matches doesn't necessarily make you the best team (in the U.S.A's football team case, certainly far from it).

Until she wins her first grand slam, the creme de la creme of tennis tournaments, I cannot regard her as the world's best player. At most it's a level playing field. Of course it's a subjective feat, so we can agree to disagree.

Exactly. In the illustrious words of Del Boy, "What can't speak, can't lie."

It's unfair to say that Wozniacki is only at the top because others don't take the other events that seriously. Firstly, I don't believe that. Secondly, if they do then you still have to go out there and beat them. Credit should always go the victor, rather than ridicule directed at the loser. Ultimately a player's legacy will be judged by slams but that doesn't mean Wozniacki's achievements aren't impressive to us now. If this is all she ever does then, yes, in 50 years time her name will probably have faded into obscurity.

I'm happy to agree to disagree because you aren't the first person that I have challenged over this issue and as yet I've not converted anyone to my way of thinking. I'm clearly not very persuasive.
What time are Del Pot and Djok kicking off today?

Additionally, not sure any of you can help. I play alot of tennis, and for last few years, bought my Slazenger tennis balls from Sports Direct as it seems the cheapest.

Any of you know of any places, stores, websites, where balls can be cheaper? I'm keen to stick to Slazenger hi-vis Wimbledon balls as they're the best, IMHO, and I've been playing with these balls for yonks.
Original post by white_haired_wizard

Additionally, not sure any of you can help. I play alot of tennis, and for last few years, bought my Slazenger tennis balls from Sports Direct as it seems the cheapest.

Any of you know of any places, stores, websites, where balls can be cheaper? I'm keen to stick to Slazenger hi-vis Wimbledon balls as they're the best, IMHO, and I've been playing with these balls for yonks.

The pair will resume in Saturday's third match on Court Suzanne Lenglen at around 1400 BST, immediately after Andy Murray's clash with Michael Berrer.
Looking worrying for Murray - even if he manages to pull through this match his injury will make it hard for him :s-smilie:
Original post by TheRabbit
Looking worrying for Murray - even if he manages to pull through this match his injury will make it hard for him :s-smilie:

He played reasonably amazingly considering... I think he'll be able to beat troicki, then there shouldn't be much trouble considering he plays someone unseeded if he makes it to the quarters.
Reply 248

lol they're awful, you get so many dud balls these days but at that price you can argue too much. i do like they way they fluff up as they are really good for practice

also they're not the balls you get a wimbledon, the ones they use at wimbledon have a yellow top and are quite a bit more expensive.

I think they are pretty much they cheapest balls you can get. Not sure if you still can get them but you used to get a pack of wilson balls at jjb, they were the ones with red packaging and 3 balls in a tube and i think 6 tubes in a pack. they always seemed to be pretty good quality and last for a long time and were roughly the same price per ball as the slazenger ones

Edit: looked at the price of the slazenger balls, you played with dunlop fort balls? they are pretty good and slightly cheaper
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 249
The rest of Del Potro vs Djokovic was underwhelming :sad: But looking forward to seeing Delpo playing Queens and Wimbledon! :w00t:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes I expected a tight match and then nothing.
Original post by st_23
lol they're awful, you get so many dud balls these days but at that price you can argue too much. i do like they way they fluff up as they are really good for practice

also they're not the balls you get a wimbledon, the ones they use at wimbledon have a yellow top and are quite a bit more expensive.

I think they are pretty much they cheapest balls you can get. Not sure if you still can get them but you used to get a pack of wilson balls at jjb, they were the ones with red packaging and 3 balls in a tube and i think 6 tubes in a pack. they always seemed to be pretty good quality and last for a long time and were roughly the same price per ball as the slazenger ones

Edit: looked at the price of the slazenger balls, you played with dunlop fort balls? they are pretty good and slightly cheaper

At my club I use the Slazenger balls that you get at £3.99 from Sports Direct. These, from my long experience, are the best out there. Yes, obviously the ones they use at Wimbledon are better than the ones I use at my club. I expect them to be!

I've tried all kinds of brands of balls in the past, with many being thoroughly **** in quality.
Original post by st_23

Dunlop fort are crap. I'm wanting to stick to Slazenger as they're comfortably the best tennis ball out there, IMO, just a question of where is the cheapest place to get them - looking like Sports Direct remains the cheapest.
Original post by st_23

What ? Slazenger Ultra Vis are great (also IMO but nonetheless). They're cheap but they used to be around double the price so they're not necessarily cheapos, just reduced. I used to use them because I like the fluff and the weight on them which forces you to hit through them more often, but once the fluff disappears the pressure tends to disappear quickly.

Recently I've been using Head Radical which is a lighter performance ball you can buy in bulk, 3 for £10 and they last for a long time. Atm I buy the cheapest possible which are Slazenger Open/ Tournament which are perfectly adequate for my purpose because I don't play every day but last for a while and are great for practice. I think I bought 3 tins for £8 the other day.

Djokovic-Gasquet coming up soon, hopefully be a good one with the French crowd behind Rich and he doesn't choke under the pressure.
Reply 254
Dunlop fort are crap. I'm wanting to stick to Slazenger as they're comfortably the best tennis ball out there, IMO, just a question of where is the cheapest place to get them - looking like Sports Direct remains the cheapest.

Original post by Sirocco11
What ? Slazenger Ultra Vis are great (also IMO but nonetheless). They're cheap but they used to be around double the price so they're not necessarily cheapos, just reduced. I used to use them because I like the fluff and the weight on them which forces you to hit through them more often, but once the fluff disappears the pressure tends to disappear quickly.

Recently I've been using Head Radical which is a lighter performance ball you can buy in bulk, 3 for £10 and they last for a long time. Atm I buy the cheapest possible which are Slazenger Open/ Tournament which are perfectly adequate for my purpose because I don't play every day but last for a while and are great for practice. I think I bought 3 tins for £8 the other day.

Djokovic-Gasquet coming up soon, hopefully be a good one with the French crowd behind Rich and he doesn't choke under the pressure.

Well i like the balls i just think the quality control is pretty poor. It's not uncommon to get completely dud balls with almost no pressure or for falls to break easily with them now. If you ever get any used balls from wimbledon (or steal one of federers balls like i did muwhahaha) then the quality of them is a lot better than the ones you but for £3.99 despite having been used

i do think they are great for practice though
Reply 255
Really hope Murray is ok later. Troicki isn't a bad 4th round draw and Chela/Falla is such an appealing quarter, be such a shame to have that snatched away. A fit Murray would almost certainly get to the semis, two rounds further than last year so at the least it's a lot of ranking points picked up.

He'd also have half a chance going into any semi. Rafa hasn't looked quite right this tournament, and he'd probably have to get through Soderling in the QF which could be close. Of course Murray would be the underdog but he'd have more of a chance than he usually would playing Rafa on clay.
Reply 256
Interesting, Djokovic is through to the semis by virtue of Fognini withdrawing from the French Open. Does his streak still continue?

:holmes:
Reply 257
Rafa got through but was poor again. Little aura about him and he looks very beatable, if he plays like that against Djok he'll lose in straights. Fed would have a good chance as well. He does always seem to raise it when it really matters though so we'll see if he's capable this time.

Monfils Ferrer being finished atm, in a 5th. Monfils served for it in the 5th at 5-3, had two match points at 40-15 as well, and threw it away. Looks tired, Ferrer has to be favourite now. These matches always seem to be a bit worse when they're broken up across days though.

What do I know? Monfils through 8-6. Quite glad really as I do like him, not sure he has what it takes to beat Federer though. Just a woman's match to go and then we'll see if Murray can play later on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Really hope murray is ok for this :/
Reply 259
Original post by sango
Interesting, Djokovic is through to the semis by virtue of Fognini withdrawing from the French Open. Does his streak still continue?

:holmes:

It continues, but he loses a match from it. If he wins the French Open he'll be on 45 wins, but if he'd had to play the quarter final he would have had 46.

Latest