The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonlight10
No, I do agree their games aren't purely physical, just a major part. Apologies for that first post, truce? :wink:

Sure.

Really disappointed Rafa had to pull out, but if he feels his knees are going to flare up again it's not worth risking it this Olympic year.

That's interesting doggyfizzel, I never realised that he even used lead tape on his racket, but that would make sense considering that the rackets pros use are usually very different from the models released to the general public.
Original post by Zhy
I agree, I'd love to see more of this.

lol lol- Murray is such a whiny little prick it's hilarious.He'll never really match Novak/Nadal simply because he doesn't have the mental capacity to do so. People on here have been comparing the physical qualities but the difference between the best is mostly mentalstrength . Novak and Nadal can put everything they have into their game, with Novak able to maintain his level that bit longer.
Reply 2842
Original post by doggyfizzel
I've strung at Wimbledon I can verify Nadal in no way has the lightest racket. Its 320grams strung and he then has it lead taped on both sides and under the grip. Its one of the heaviest rackets, I've seen.

Topspin stat is about physicality but not really a comparison considering the stance he plays at, the extreme western grip, all play more of a factor.

Pretty disappointed, but I think Nadal fans have long accepted we are going to see far more retirements from Nadal then early on in his career.

Didn't I hear something about him weighting the head of his racket even more recently to try and come up with a way past djoko? Sounds like you should know this kinda thing:p:
Original post by Sirocco11
That's interesting doggyfizzel, I never realised that he even used lead tape on his racket, but that would make sense considering that the rackets pros use are usually very different from the models released to the general public.
When I looked at it didn't even use the current model, he used the previous years painted to look like the newest one.

Original post by Slumpy
Didn't I hear something about him weighting the head of his racket even more recently to try and come up with a way past djoko? Sounds like you should know this kinda thing:p:
I'm not sure, he had quite a few different rackets, so he may have start taping the top too, or maybe he had a different one done. I only saw his a few times, and only once did I get time to have a good look, its really busy when they get going.
Original post by Lamps08
lol lol- Murray is such a whiny little prick it's hilarious.He'll never really match Novak/Nadal simply because he doesn't have the mental capacity to do so. People on here have been comparing the physical qualities but the difference between the best is mostly mentalstrength . Novak and Nadal can put everything they have into their game, with Novak able to maintain his level that bit longer.

Until recently Djokovic was as legendary for his mental and physical weakness as he is now for his skill and stamina. If anything, he is a prime example of how good Murray could be.
Reply 2845
Original post by doggyfizzel
I've strung at Wimbledon I can verify Nadal in no way has the lightest racket. Its 320grams strung and he then has it lead taped on both sides and under the grip. Its one of the heaviest rackets, I've seen.

Topspin stat is about physicality but not really a comparison considering the stance he plays at, the extreme western grip, all play more of a factor.

Pretty disappointed, but I think Nadal fans have long accepted we are going to see far more retirements from Nadal then early on in his career.

Don't get me wrong I know its not light compared to rackets most people play with (the swingweight that is) but compared to other top pros its on the lighter side still

this thread shows the comparison between nadal, federer and djokovics racket

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=397653

also nadal uses a semi-western grip, the pictures in the link below show it well

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=273722
Original post by Bobifier
Until recently Djokovic was as legendary for his mental and physical weakness as he is now for his skill and stamina. If anything, he is a prime example of how good Murray could be.

Explain this? Just because Novak wasn't performing up to his potential doesn't mean it's the same case with Murray. Murray doesn't have the right attitude to emulate Novak; he doesn't even show glimpses of the mental strength required imo. I recognised way back Novak would eventually be number 1 or atleast neck and neck with Nadal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lamps08
Explain this? Just because Novak wasn't performing up to his potential doesn't mean it's the same case with Murray. Murray doesn't have the right attitude to emulate Novak; he doesn't even show glimpses of the mental strength required imo. I recognised way back Novak would eventually be number 1 or atleast neck and neck with Nadal.

Sorry but how can you show signs of mental strength anyway? And if you want to go down that route well Djokovic never showed any signs that he could become physically better (in terms of his stamina).

I'd agree that Murray used to have a poor attitude but I think hiring Lendl is a step in the right direction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2848
Why is Murray even in this final? Alejandro Falla should have knocked him out in R2. Peak Falla far surpasses peak Lendy. He was clearly not on his game that day. Murray had better pray that he does not meet Donald Young in Monte Carlo.
Original post by Lamps08

And undoubtedly in three years time you will be telling someone else how you always knew Murray would make it eventually.

With respect to Murray's mental strength, I would simply like to point out, again, that he appears no weaker emotionally than Djokovic did three years ago. I also am not certain I understand your comment about not even showing glimpses - I assume you missed the Australian Open semifinal?
Original post by Zhy
Why is Murray even in this final? Alejandro Falla should have knocked him out in R2. Peak Falla far surpasses peak Lendy. He was clearly not on his game that day. Murray had better pray that he does not meet Donald Young in Monte Carlo.

:rofl:, and Zhy strikes again
Original post by Bobifier
And undoubtedly in three years time you will be telling someone else how you always knew Murray would make it eventually.

With respect to Murray's mental strength, I would simply like to point out, again, that he appears no weaker emotionally than Djokovic did three years ago. I also am not certain I understand your comment about not even showing glimpses - I assume you missed the Australian Open semifinal?

Check my post history on here, I've rated Novak since Day 1, and hated Murray since Day 1 lol. - I've even put large sums of money on him winning, which I'm sure I mentioned in the betting threads on here atleast once :yep:. What I mean by Djokovic having superior mental strength is that he can push himself alot further than Murray, and I believe this is something you're born with.
Original post by Lamps08
Check my post history on here, I've rated Novak since Day 1, and hated Murray since Day 1 lol. - I've even put large sums of money on him winning, which I'm sure I mentioned in the betting threads on here atleast once :yep:. What I mean by Djokovic having superior mental strength is that he can push himself alot further than Murray, and I believe this is something you're born with.

So if you're born with it, how come Djokovic took until 2011 to show any mental strength? Great logic there mate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JaggySnake95
So if you're born with it, how come Djokovic took until 2011 to show any mental strength? Great logic their mate.

Are you unfamiliar with the word potential? (Just like how you are born with a physical height potential) You can have your opinion though mate, just make sure you spell them right. (It's there, not their:colondollar:) Novak showed alot of signs to me in 2009 and even earlier. I recall a clay match in 2009 against Nadal as a standout where he showed great mental toughness, even though he lost fairly comfortably. What makes you think Murray will improve anyway? Also Murray isn't anywhere near as aggressive which is a major factor imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lamps08
Are you unfamiliar with the word potential? You can have your opinion though mate, just make sure you spell them right. (It's there, not their:colondollar:) Novak showed alot of signs to me in 2009 and even earlier. I recall a clay match in 2009 against Nadal as a standout where he showed great mental toughness, even though he lost fairly comfortably. What makes you think Murray will improve anyway?

Sorry, yeah I was on my Ipod. :angry:

Well if you are born with mental strength then it shouldn't be something that takes 5 or 6 years to show it. If you had said someone was born with the talent to become a tennis player/anything else like that then I could understand your point because that is something that takes time to 'hone' for want of a better word.

I'm not saying Andy Murray will improve, but what really annoys me is when people say that Andy Murray isn't good enough to be as good as Djokovic. Because of course he is. They were both pretty much neck and neck throughout their entire careers so obviously he is good enough. Lendl will have an impact on the next few grand slams, and RG and Wimbledon will be a good indicator of how much he has impacted.
Original post by JaggySnake95
Sorry, yeah I was on my Ipod. :angry:

Well if you are born with mental strength then it shouldn't be something that takes 5 or 6 years to show it. If you had said someone was born with the talent to become a tennis player/anything else like that then I could understand your point because that is something that takes time to 'hone' for want of a better word.

I'm not saying Andy Murray will improve, but what really annoys me is when people say that Andy Murray isn't good enough to be as good as Djokovic. Because of course he is. They were both pretty much neck and neck throughout their entire careers so obviously he is good enough. Lendl will have an impact on the next few grand slams, and RG and Wimbledon will be a good indicator of how much he has impacted.

I used the term 'born with' to indicate its not something anyone can just acquire(It's an innate characteristic, which has a potential to be reached) I don't personally believe Murray will ever play Tennis at the same intensity as Djokovic because I think the latter has a innate stronger mentality level. This doesn't mean he won't slip up and not perform to his potential every now and then,but at his best he will always beat Murray at his best, because Murray can't reach that higher gear.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wana see Murray sweat ..... (blood). :colone:
I want to see Djokovic cream him.. 6-0, 6-0!
''You got it Novak, Let's go baby'' said by the deepest American sounding voice in the crowd you could possibly imagaine :lol:
Reply 2859
Cvac takes the first set 6-1.

Latest