The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hood_Man
For about a week :tongue:

Nah I hope he plays Rome and does well, I want to see him return to #1 one day, even if it's only for a few weeks.

This is beginning to feel like the Federer Renaissance, which is perfect for me since I've been a fan of his since 2001 but only at Wimbledon. 2008 was the first year I became aware of non BBC live streaming, and do you know what my first ever non Wimbledon tennis match was?

...the 2008 French Open Final. Jesus that was a wake up call :eek:

if that was a wake up call this fun fact will be a shock

on the future circuit (lowest level of pro tennis) a player may only earn about £80 a week minus travel expenses if they go onto loose in the 1st round
Original post by Hood_Man
For about a week :tongue:

Nah I hope he plays Rome and does well, I want to see him return to #1 one day, even if it's only for a few weeks.

This is beginning to feel like the Federer Renaissance, which is perfect for me since I've been a fan of his since 2001 but only at Wimbledon. 2008 was the first year I became aware of non BBC live streaming, and do you know what my first ever non Wimbledon tennis match was?

...the 2008 French Open Final. Jesus that was a wake up call :eek:

Yes after Rome he's probably 3th again, but I guess there is a good possibility for to be #1 again after Wimbledon. If he reaches the semi-final in Rome and RG and wins Wimbledon I guess he has enough points to jump over Djokovic :biggrin: But we'll see ... fingers crossed!
Original post by jhuntley93
if that was a wake up call this fun fact will be a shock

on the future circuit (lowest level of pro tennis) a player may only earn about £80 a week minus travel expenses if they go onto loose in the 1st round

But it is not as if future tennis is full of players making a living from it. Futures contain one of three players usually:

1. Those doing it not for fun as such, but often national players will decide to enter local futures for some match play.
2. Upcoming players who will only be around in tem for a little while until they break into cahllengers and eventually ATP level.
3. Players on their way out who have already made a living.

Also the serve speed record was broken this week, now 163 MPH by a player in the 300s.
Original post by JaggySnake95
But it is not as if future tennis is full of players making a living from it. Futures contain one of three players usually:

1. Those doing it not for fun as such, but often national players will decide to enter local futures for some match play.
2. Upcoming players who will only be around in tem for a little while until they break into cahllengers and eventually ATP level.
3. Players on their way out who have already made a living.

Also the serve speed record was broken this week, now 163 MPH by a player in the 300s.

true that. but still P**s poor prize money given inflation in recent years and the money has stayed the same since the 70's when money from the futures would have been a decent amount back then.

Also this thing about wimbledon awarding more money to earlier stages in the tournament to help players is rubbish because if you are playing in the 1st round of a slam you are most likley in the top 100 so all ready making a nice profit
true that. but still P**s poor prize money given inflation in recent years and the money has stayed the same since the 70's when money from the futures would have been a decent amount back then.

Also this thing about wimbledon awarding more money to earlier stages in the tournament to help players is rubbish because if you are playing in the 1st round of a slam you are most likley in the top 100 so all ready making a nice profit

Tennis is a very poorly paid sport. The player is 100 best in the world at tennis is lucky to get paid the same as footballers who are in the 1000s. It's a shame, but only the top players get paid a lot and only the top players get paid for sponsors as well.
have a feeling that jamie baker will surprise us this year at either queens, eastbourn or wimby and possibly qualify for us open and a chance of top 150 or so by the end of the year.

CALLED IT FIRST
have a feeling that jamie baker will surprise us this year at either queens, eastbourn or wimby and possibly qualify for us open and a chance of top 150 or so by the end of the year.

CALLED IT FIRST

He is doing really well considering his horrenouds illness woes. Will definetely be Britains no.2 soon. He is the 6th seed this week playing in a Hard Court challenger event. I'm surprised because he won't have much match practice on clay for the French Open qualifiers...
He is doing really well considering his horrenouds illness woes. Will definetely be Britains no.2 soon. He is the 6th seed this week playing in a Hard Court challenger event. I'm surprised because he won't have much match practice on clay for the French Open qualifiers...

there was an interview with him in the scottish herald the other week which he said the only clay he was playing was French because hard is his best surfice and he his focusing on improving his ranking. Also i cant see wardy defending his points from semi final of queens last year so that will hurt his ranking quite a bit.

Oh and he beat a top 100 player last week in straight sets. if he gets to the 1/4 final this week he will be in top 200 easily
(edited 11 years ago)
there was an interview with him in the scottish herald the other week which he said the only clay he was playing was French because hard is his best surfice and he his focusing on improving his ranking. Also i cant see wardy defending his points from semi final of queens last year so that will hurt his ranking quite a bit.

Oh and he beat a top 100 player last week in straight sets. if he gets to the 1/4 final this week he will be in top 200 easily

Considering who he beat last week (ranked 89) a win here isn't too far out of his grasp and that would see him just outside top 150.
top seed has withdraw who was in his half of the draw. highest ranked player now is 136

That's ridiculously quick. Wasn't the record previously 156 mph? 7 mph is a huge jump.
Original post by TheMagicRat
That's ridiculously quick. Wasn't the record previously 156 mph? 7 mph is a huge jump.

Yeah, apparently he broke it three times in one match, but haven't read anything official on that. You also have to wonder how reliable some speed guns are, but it's official now anyway.
Reply 2972
Yeah, apparently he broke it three times in one match, but haven't read anything official on that. You also have to wonder how reliable some speed guns are, but it's official now anyway.

Nonsense. All speed guns are perfectly reliable.

*cough*
Top 3 looking tighter, gap between Nadal in 3rd to Djokovic is 2100 with Djokovic defending a win in Rome.
Original post by Rakas21
Top 3 looking tighter, gap between Nadal in 3rd to Djokovic is 2100 with Djokovic defending a win in Rome.

The points have already been removed for last years Rome tournakent. :smile:
baker lost in 1st round in uzbekistan. no top 200 this week but it will come

The guy he was playing was hitting like 2 aces per game, but it was disappointing after winning the 1st set. :frown:

Hopefully he can qualify for the French, do well at Queens and/or Eastbourne and see what happens at Wimbledon.
Reply 2977

zhy i am going to be one smug b******* when baker wins a round or 2 at queens/eastbourn and qualifies for us open which is more likley. i will be on here telling everyone to go back to may and that i saw it comming.

also has anyone noticed that the best british tennis player were all coached by judy murray and leon smith at some point in their life and are all scottish. Andy and Jamie murray, Elena Baltacha, Jamie Baker and Colin fleming

Latest