The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Louis.
It's like this match is being played two years ago with the level they're both at. I'm hoping it goes into tomorrow so we've got something to watch that isn't the ****ing WTA :colonhash:

That's a harsh assessment.

Li Na is an excellent player and I really enjoy watching her. Same goes for Schiavone.

It's got the potential to be a cracking womens final tomorrow, IMO.
Original post by white_haired_wizard

Li Na is an excellent player and I really enjoy watching her. Same goes for Schiavone.

NO women's final is a good final...
I think a Djok vs Nadal final would have been more competitive as Federer does get steamrollered by Nadal at the French Open.

Not overly disappointed Djok got beat. At times, Federer was utterly on fire and his serve was often just out of this world.

The transformation of Djok is incredible tbh. He didn't possess this consistency and power 6 or so months ago. I'd love to know how this transformation came about.
Original post by robtastic
NO women's final is a good final...

well, at least not when it involves Serena vs Venus. Dreadful affairs.

It should be a competitive final tomorrow. Two players who are easy on the eye, with their style of play that is, and they're equally matched tbh.

I'm looking forward to it. I looked forward to Stosar vs Schiavone last year but the former just didn't bring her best to the table. That was disappointing.
Reply 364
Does anyone else think that the women should play best of 5 sets at Grand Slams? Or at least play best of 5 in the finals? It's not even about prize money, I just think it's incredibly unfair on them. If one of them comes out and plays nervously for a set and a half the match could be over before they've even had a chance to settle in. At least best of 5 allows them the chance to stage a comeback if they're 2 sets to love down.

I know the argument is about women not being as strong as men or not having the same endurance as men, but I'd argue that not only do the men get worn out and start cramping sometimes in long 5 setters, but also how can we say women don't have the endurance for 5 setters if they don't train for them?

It would be nice if they'd at least trial it anyway.
Same WHW. I really like Li Na's game, more so than many of the other players in the WTA. She and Schiavone bring what is sorely lacking in terms of variety and shotmaking and for them it's not just about crushing the ball but precise timing, point construction and particulary for Schiavone, touch shots and slices. Most of the players in the top 20 of the WTA have ****ing shocking slices that look like club level strokes - look at Wozniacki's double handed slice for reference.

I'm rooting for Li Na to get her first Grand Slam tomorrow. :smile:

Have a feeling that Chartrier won't even be full tho, which is shame. Sure the WTA doesn't compare pound for pound with the ATP but Na and Schiavone are quality players.
Original post by Sirocco11
Same WHW. I really like Li Na's game, more so than many of the other players in the WTA. She and Schiavone bring what is sorely lacking in terms of variety and shotmaking and for them it's not just about crushing the ball but precise timing, point construction and particulary for Schiavone, touch shots and slices. Most of the players in the top 20 of the WTA have ****ing shocking slices that look like club level strokes - look at Wozniacki's double handed slice for reference.

I'm rooting for Li Na to get her first Grand Slam tomorrow. :smile:

Have a feeling that Chartrier won't even be full tho, which is shame. Sure the WTA doesn't compare pound for pound with the ATP but Na and Schiavone are quality players.

It should be full. I'd have been prepared to pay for a ticket for this match-up. Perhaps not so for many other potential line-ups in the womens game, where it's incessant ball-bashing and little else.

Also hoping Li Na wins. Like watching her play and like her personality.
Reply 367
Original post by Hood_Man
Does anyone else think that the women should play best of 5 sets at Grand Slams? Or at least play best of 5 in the finals? It's not even about prize money, I just think it's incredibly unfair on them. If one of them comes out and plays nervously for a set and a half the match could be over before they've even had a chance to settle in. At least best of 5 allows them the chance to stage a comeback if they're 2 sets to love down.

I know the argument is about women not being as strong as men or not having the same endurance as men, but I'd argue that not only do the men get worn out and start cramping sometimes in long 5 setters, but also how can we say women don't have the endurance for 5 setters if they don't train for them?

It would be nice if they'd at least trial it anyway.

They spend enough time on my TV filling up valuable slots that could have gone to far better men's matches. No more please :colonhash:

Not exactly the biggest fan of the WTA so i'm not the best person to ask :colondollar:

Wouldn't mind trying it out with slam finals though.
Just cycling and watching tennis this weekend :cool:

Been playing alot of club and league tennis recently and I've got a bout of tennis elbow, well it's muscle ache just above the elbow and it hurts just lifting a cup of tea ffs.

Giving my arm and body a 4-5 day rest from tennis.

I do hope Fed vs Nadal is a competitive final. In a way I think it could be more competitive than previous FO finals contested between the two of them. Federer has now won the FO, albeit vs Soderling and not vs Nadal, a weight still lifted off his shoulders, he'll be the underdog going into this final and should hopefully go into the final in a relaxed, nothing-to-lose and everything-to-gain frame of mind.

Crucial that Fed serves as well on Sunday as he did today.
Nadal on Murray today-
"Every time that I beat Andy in these kind of matches, I feel sad for him, because he deserves to win a grand slam for sure. In my opinion he's going to do it because his level and his talent is fantastic"
That's what everyone has been saying every time they beat him in a Grand Slam.

In reality they're thankful there isn't another strong opponent for them to face.
Original post by white_haired_wizard

Agreed. I am really looking forward to the final. Both players are base-line battlers, so I'm expecting some pretty long and tough points. Could be quite a long match if they both bring their top games. I'm rooting for Li Na but I think Schiavone will win in 3.

Oh yeah, forgot to say. I think Federer will probably put an awful lot of pressure on himself in the final. It's fine to say he's done everything in the game so the pressure's off but there's one thing he hasn't done that he would love to do and that's beat Nadal at Roland Garros.
(edited 12 years ago)
Murray seems like the nearly man to me. He should have won a slam by now no question.

Brilliant match today aswell between Novak and Rodger. Nadal to win a sixth FO though. I personally think Nadal will get to 20+ slams in his career, the guy is a beast.
Great match. Wonder if the nerves of potentially being world number 1 got to Djokovic a bit. It must have gone through his mind a few times.
It was like watching the Federer of old today - absolutely sublime. If he can play at that level he has a very good chance of beating Rafa, although I'd still say Nadal has the edge.

Shame about Murray. He seems to have hit a barrier that prevents him taking that one last step. With Djokovic now on the up and looking destined to succeed Nadal as the dominant player, the doubt must be creeping in that he can ever win a major.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hood_Man

Totally agree. Claiming they're less able to play 5 setters is akin to suggesting that the marathon should be scaled down for them or similarily for any other sporting event.
Original post by edgar allan bro
Totally agree. Claiming they're less able to play 5 setters is akin to suggesting that the marathon should be scaled down for them or similarily for any other sporting event.

I agree with you (especially as it's now equal prize money). I wonder if it's more of a practical issue, in that they'd have to make the tournament longer (not that that would be much of an issue, but also it's easier for any given individual organiser if they aren't the first to risk annoying the women players by making it 5 sets).
I bet the user 'Economist' was jizzing himself silly yesterday, watching Federer play.

Rolling back the years, yesterday, was Fed. I don't think anyone can pull out serves like that, in such pressure situations, as well as Federer. So mentally tough.
Great start for Li Na, such a clean striking of the ball.
Is it really shallow that I have an innate dislike of Schiavone because her manly looks scare me?
Original post by Kidioteque
Is it really shallow that I have an innate dislike of Schiavone because her manly looks scare me?

Yes it is. :yes: :tongue:

Li Na has been great so far. :smile:

Latest