The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .eXe
I really hope Fed wins Wimby. Then he can retire in peace.

I know his retirement is inching closer and closer but it just seems like he isn't finished yet. He's got a couple slams still left and I really hope he can finish this season strong; especially since last year did not go great.

Oh and also, I hope its a Nadal/Federer final...want to see some classic wimbledon matchups not freaking djokervich.
I'm sure at some point during the French open I heard a commentator say that Rio 2016 would be his end point. Surely I must have misheard that? :confused:
Reply 4241
Original post by Pandora.
I'm sure at some point during the French open I heard a commentator say that Rio 2016 would be his end point. Surely I must have misheard that? :confused:

Really? Well part of me is hoping you didn't mishear that because I enjoy watching Federer's matches. However, by that time I supposed he will have become an after-thought to be honest...especially with the rise of current young players like Raonic, Monfils and by that time I fully expect Nadal to be doing even better as well. I seriously don't think Nadal has reached his prime just yet, while Fed is clearly past his. He was untouchable in 2004-2007. Don't see him going back to that level of play.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
Really? Well part of me is hoping you didn't mishear that because I enjoy watching Federer's matches. However, by that time I supposed he will have become an after-thought to be honest...especially with the rise of current young players like Raonic, Monfils and by that time I fully expect Nadal to be doing even better as well. I seriously don't think Nadal has reached his prime just yet, while Fed is clearly past his. He was untouchable in 2004-2007. Don't see him going back to that level of play.

Monfils?
Is the Tsonga vs Baker match starting after Murray finishes? :smile:

I don't think Federer has ever said when he's going to retire.

You didn't. Someone did say that.
Oh no Murray :frown:
so glasgows jamie baker is left to fly the flag for britian, wonder if the doubles will get more attention this week?

Raonic is 4 and a bit years younger than Monfils.
Reply 4250
Original post by JaggySnake95
Raonic is 4 and a bit years younger than Monfils.

Hmm true, dunno why I grouped them together. Guess in my mind Monfils still is a youngster :tongue:
Real nice from Murray.
Original post by .eXe
I agree. As much as I love Federer, I don't want to see him slowly fall from high. I'd rather he went out while still one of the best.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think Federer has ever said when he's going to retire.
Interesting...:holmes:
Original post by TheMagicRat
You didn't. Someone did say that.
Good, I thought I was going mad! I'm even more confused now though!
Reply 4253

I heard something similar. I think it was that if he could he'd be playing there, but they didn't him going beyond that whatever happened. Would imagine it's unlikely for him to be much of a force by then though, and I don't know where they got it from either tbh.
I think I remember someone on commentary during the ITV's coverage French Open saying Federer might retire after the 2016 Olympics, but as far as I remember he/she pointed it out as a possibility rather than there being truth in it...

Two of the big names out of Queens already (Murray and Roddick), Tsonga favourite to win the tournament now? Roddick played awful today, it's embarrassing to watch him play :s-smilie: And the BBC won't be happy that Murray's out :teehee:
Original post by Slumpy
I heard something similar. I think it was that if he could he'd be playing there, but they didn't him going beyond that whatever happened. Would imagine it's unlikely for him to be much of a force by then though, and I don't know where they got it from either tbh.
He'd be 34/35 by that point, so a whole new generation of players will be dominating competitions. I'm sure he'll be there if I can, but I can't see him going home with a gold medal. :frown:
Reply 4256
Original post by Rachael.
I think I remember someone on commentary during the ITV's coverage French Open saying Federer might retire after the 2016 Olympics, but as far as I remember he/she pointed it out as a possibility rather than there being truth in it...

Two of the big names out of Queens already (Murray and Roddick), Tsonga favourite to win the tournament now? Roddick played awful today, it's embarrassing to watch him play :s-smilie: And the BBC won't be happy that Murray's out :teehee:

Fair point. I think Federer's always said he'll keep playing as long as he can essentially?

He'd be 34/35 by that point, so a whole new generation of players will be dominating competitions. I'm sure he'll be there if I can, but I can't see him going home with a gold medal. :frown:

There is always hope!:p:
Baker looking for a break?
Reply 4258
Also find it a bit sad to see Roddick going out so early. Would love him to win wimby/the US this year, so, so much. Never gonna happen, but a man can dream!
Original post by Slumpy
Also find it a bit sad to see Roddick going out so early. Would love him to win wimby/the US this year, so, so much. Never gonna happen, but a man can dream!

I thought Wimbledon was going to be his last? or did I dream hearing that?

Latest