Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Tennis Society

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    How do I sound like a wannabe Zhy. Is it disrespectful or stupid to put forward my opinion on Federer not winning Wimbledon?
    Hmm, apparently I'm thinking of someone else. Oops, apologies.
    Still, anything anti-Fed is practically Zhy-lite:p:
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that was one hell of a turn of events at Queen's! :eek:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Wow, that was one hell of a turn of events at Queen's! :eek:
    I initially thought you were confused and talking about Halle (as Fed lost) but, wow yeah - wouldn't have seen that coming. Shame for Cilic - not a nice way to win.
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    I initially thought you were confused and talking about Halle (as Fed lost) but, wow yeah - wouldn't have seen that coming. Shame for Cilic - not a nice way to win.
    Fed lost? Ouch, not a good sign! Who was he playing?

But yeah, it wasn't nice for either party. I thought it was a bit far for Nalbandian to complain about ATP when he was interviewed, but I felt awful for Cilic.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish the grass court season was a little longer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Fed lost? Ouch, not a good sign! Who was he playing?

But yeah, it wasn't nice for either party. I thought it was a bit far for Nalbandian to complain about ATP when he was interviewed, but I felt awful for Cilic.
    Fed played Haas.

Wish I watched Queens now.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to be going into Wimbledon feeling good. Makes it very interesting.
    • 137 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stupid rule & not fair on the crowd, let the match finish & then punish Nalbandian after :yy:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Stupid rule & not fair on the crowd, let the match finish & then punish Nalbandian after :yy:
    No, I think it was the right decision. It would be setting a bad example to the Tennis world if it continued on, after such a vicious act.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That was dramatic! Definitely the right decision though, I mean the linesman was so close to the board thing that it was obviously going to hurt him feel bad for Cilic though, bit of a hollow victory
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nalbandian is a ****ing idiot, I've always liked watching him play but I've lost all respect for him now. He kept digging himself into more of a hole with his interview aswell, it was almost painful to watch! :erm: I think the right decision was made, but poor Cilic looked so awkward :laugh: I have to say, Queens was a disaster this year!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, I guess I'll be one of the few to stick up for Nalbandian. Obviously what he did was wrong but when you're playing sport you're not always completely aware of your surroundings. Your mind is on the court. It's easy to forget where people are. He was angry and reacted. That's all.

The interview was a prefect example of why, in some cases, sports people shouldn't be expected to give an interview straight after the event. Nalbandian was still angry and he's going to say things he probably wouldn't if he was being interviewed a couple of hours later.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nalby has always had a temper unfortunately, and although he didn't mean it in the heat of the moment it was right for him to have to default the match. He seriously injured someone and no matter what the crowd thought of it those are the rules to be enforced. As much of a disappointment it was that the match had to end, it would have reflected badly on the tournament if it continued. On the other hand the crowd was being very unforgiving about what they wanted - they wanted the match to continue but that would have been a bad atmosphere afterwards anyway with Nalbandian probably being booed every point. And then to make things worse Nalbandian made that rant about the ATP with a pretty weak apology mixed in there; just a completely unthinking decision, much as he had made to kick the advertisement board mere minutes before.

Felt sorry for Cilic having to win this way because he was starting to turn the match around before the event, but he gave a very temperate winner's speech to appease a pretty intransigent crowd.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    OK, I guess I'll be one of the few to stick up for Nalbandian. Obviously what he did was wrong but when you're playing sport you're not always completely aware of your surroundings. Your mind is on the court. It's easy to forget where people are. He was angry and reacted. That's all.

The interview was a prefect example of why, in some cases, sports people shouldn't be expected to give an interview straight after the event. Nalbandian was still angry and he's going to say things he probably wouldn't if he was being interviewed a couple of hours later.
    Yeah I agree - making him give an interview was another stupid decision that time on the part of the organisers; the embarassment of his action was enough and as a result he made a really bad decision to try and justify what he did when an apology would have sufficed. When athletes are pumped with adrenaline and are so convinced that they're right it's hard for them to be rational, and as wrong as Nalbandian was, people should respect that.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think possibly if it wasn't the final then maybe fair enough since the punishment wouldn't then be as strong. However the fact that it was the final and the amount of dissapointed spectators and the fact that the judge wasn't badly injured then I think they didn't have to disqualify him, a small fine would have done the job of punishing him while allowing the game to continue.

Competing in sport you are so highly stressed that you will get angry sometimes, and aslong as your action isn't malitious to someone then I think that only small punishments should be given. It is when you go out of your way to hurt someone or start a fight that serious reprimands should be given.

I completely agree with Nalbadian about the his view of the rules and the people in charge selectively choosing which ones to follow. I have been on the recieving end of this many times in karting and it is incredibly infurating when you are penalised heavily for an infringement where others arn't for different infringements.

Nalbadian was wrong with what he did however the scale of the punishment was not justifiable in my opinion.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    I think possibly if it wasn't the final then maybe fair enough since the punishment wouldn't then be as strong. However the fact that it was the final and the amount of dissapointed spectators and the fact that the judge wasn't badly injured then I think they didn't have to disqualify him, a small fine would have done the job of punishing him while allowing the game to continue.

Competing in sport you are so highly stressed that you will get angry sometimes, and aslong as your action isn't malitious to someone then I think that only small punishments should be given. It is when you go out of your way to hurt someone or start a fight that serious reprimands should be given.

I completely agree with Nalbadian about the his view of the rules and the people in charge selectively choosing which ones to follow. I have been on the recieving end of this many times in karting and it is incredibly infurating when you are penalised heavily for an infringement where others arn't for different infringements.
    Plenty of other people in the world have highly stressed jobs and if they went and kicked someone would get sacked.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Plenty of other people in the world have highly stressed jobs and if they went and kicked someone would get sacked.
    He didn't kick someone intentionally, he kicked something without realising there was someone behind it. When you are pumped with adrenaline, physically tired and fustrated you don't think straight. The guy wasn't badly injured so he didn't actually do much damage the punishment was more due to his action.

As I said, I think he should have been punished by a small fine however not disqualified as in my opinion was that not only to large a punishment for him but also uneeded to dissapoint that number of spectators.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it was mistake, but the rules are rules I guess, right? You can't just make an exception for one person.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)

Nalbadian was wrong with what he did however the scale of the punishment was not justifiable in my opinion.
    This. What a pussy that line judge is though, rolling on the ground like a fag. He should have asked for a 5 minute break, and then demanded the match carried on.
Updated: March 17, 2013
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.