The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Like anyone gives a **** about rankings lol...
Original post by Slumpy
If Federer wins, he's number 1, regardless of whether djok makes the semis.
Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 12,280
2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 10,060
3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 9,435

Fed defending like, 180 points or something, djok defending 2000 and nadal defending 1200.

Edit-Fed defending 360 in fact. But djok losing the semi(as required for fed to win) would mean he drops from 2000 to 720, and Fed gains 1640. Would be extremely close though.
Original post by kbountra
No this isn't right- if Federer wins Wimbledon he returns to number 1, no matter how well Djokovic does.
Original post by TopHat
He's only defending 180? Huh. I thought it was more than that. My bad.
If Federer wins Wimbledon he goes up to 11075 points. In this scenario the best case is for Djokovic would be to make the semis so he would go down to 11000 points and be number 2.
Original post by TopHat
Yeah, I thought Federer was defending more, my bad.
:yy: Makes sense everybody, thanks! :colondollar:
Something I just noticed- Nadal's average time between points in the match was 26 seconds. I'm not blaming Nadal but the maximum allowed is 20 seconds so it's the umpire's responsibility to step in and stop him from slowing down play. What do others think of this?

Yeah, I definitely think the umpire should be stepping in more.
Reply 4443
I think they definitely need to have more time between the french open and Wimbledon!
Original post by Katie18!
I think they definitely need to have more time between the french open and Wimbledon!

I agree. I would prefer an extra two weeks between them and in an ideal world there would a Masters Series on grass. I can only ever see there being one extra week though.
Reply 4445
Original post by Michael XYZ

Well, there's still that one record for Fed to catch!
Original post by TheMagicRat
I agree. I would prefer an extra two weeks between them and in an ideal world there would a Masters Series on grass. I can only ever see there being one extra week though.

I agree with the idea of having a masters event on grass. I would actually add that into the calendar and get rid of Shanghai which serves no purpose, other than keeping tennis fans in Asia satisfied.
Reply 4447
Original post by Michael XYZ

Federer himself does though he doesn't always overtly state it. He has said it this year though.

And I was randomly googling today about the relationship between the top 4 guys earlier and found this:
http://www.dropshotdispatch.com/2011/11/20/top-10-roger-federer-verbal-jabs-at-andy-murray/

I kinda feel sorry for him after reading the last 2/3...even though I still think Fed is the GOAT, these comments dont portray him in the best of lights :/
What are Federer-Djokovic relations actually like? I'm sure I remember their semi final match at Roland Garros being hyped up due to tensions between the two, but nothing seemed to materialise. :confused:
Original post by narusku
And I was randomly googling today about the relationship between the top 4 guys earlier and found this:
http://www.dropshotdispatch.com/2011/11/20/top-10-roger-federer-verbal-jabs-at-andy-murray/
Nice find! Very interesting stuff :smile:
Original post by narusku
Federer himself does though he doesn't always overtly state it. He has said it this year though.

I kinda feel sorry for him after reading the last 2/3...even though I still think Fed is the GOAT, these comments dont portray him in the best of lights :/

Didn't see too many surprising things in your link, its hardly the feud you or other journalists seem to think it is.

And Federer is right, Murrary's game (except for the very recent 2 wimbledon matches) is a very pusher type player, cant put the ball away. Murray's game is not the most attractive.
Reply 4450
Original post by konvictz0007
Didn't see too many surprising things in your link, its hardly the feud you or other journalists seem to think it is.

And Federer is right, Murrary's game (except for the very recent 2 wimbledon matches) is a very pusher type player, cant put the ball away. Murray's game is not the most attractive.

Ha. Learn to infer things from what others say and not what you think or would like them to have said.

I never stated that I thought there was a 'feud' or anything of the sort, merely that such comments from Federer cast him in a light perhaps different from such which arguably earned him those Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Awards - which is not a player of the year award as many believe it to be.

Oh, and regardless of what you think, tennis, is not about the 'attractiveness' of style if you mean flair...we see plenty from flashy players like federer. Murray wins points. Which he is no.4. He's tweaking his game, as he should, because in tennis you're always learning. Sure he's not quite of the same strata as the top 3 but he sure as hell is the closest.

The point of the link was to show how even though Murray has beaten Fed before, the guy can't get off his high horse and acknowledge him.
Oh and before you start spouting...keep in mind that i'm a big Federer fan myself. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4451
Original post by Pandora.
What are Federer-Djokovic relations actually like? I'm sure I remember their semi final match at Roland Garros being hyped up due to tensions between the two, but nothing seemed to materialise. :confused:
Nice find! Very interesting stuff :smile:

I'm not sure, but i'm still looking :tongue:
Original post by narusku
Ha. Learn to infer things from what others say and not what you think or would like them to have said.

I never stated that I thought there was a 'feud' or anything of the sort, merely that such comments from Federer cast him in a light perhaps different from such which arguably earned him those Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Awards - which is not a player of the year award as many believe it to be.

Oh, and regardless of what you think, tennis, is not about the 'attractiveness' of style if you mean flair...we see plenty from flashy players like federer. Murray wins points. Which he is no.4. He's tweaking his game, as he should, because in tennis you're always learning. Sure he's not quite of the same strata as the top 3 but he sure as hell is the closest.

The point of the link was to show how even though Murray has beaten Fed before, the guy can't get off his high horse and acknowledge him.
Oh and before you start spouting...keep in mind that i'm a big Federer fan myself. :rolleyes:

I don't see how selectively quoting the negative things Federer has said about Murray proves that Federer can't acknowledge him... You don't think Federer's ever said a positive thing about Murray?
Reply 4453
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't see how selectively quoting the negative things Federer has said about Murray proves that Federer can't acknowledge him... You don't think Federer's ever said a positive thing about Murray?

No, I know he has in more recent times, it's just reading comments such as those dented tainted my idolisation of him.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by narusku
No, I know he has in more reent times, it's just reading comments such as those dented tainted my idolisation of him.

I don't see a problem with most of what he said. Some are clearly intended as a bit of a joke, like the "Good for him" comment, and some of them it's difficult to gauge the context when you're only reading it. I also imagine these guys get sick and tired of having to answer the same questions. And if he says something a bit bad and means it I have no problem with that. I'm all for a bit of needle between competitors.
I was there on Friday for Federer-Benneteau, it was incredible, one of the best days of my life! :smile:
hi i think i might have tennis elbow. over the last few days since i started playing tennis reguarly i have started to feel very slight pain at my elbow joint.

I have never had this before and was wandering if anyone could help
Thinking of getting a tennis PS3 game, which one is the best?
Is there a reason they can't move games on to centre once games on centre have finished? I got fed up of all the replays when there is a perfectly good court availible
Original post by firebolt
Is there a reason they can't move games on to centre once games on centre have finished? I got fed up of all the replays when there is a perfectly good court availible

they don't what to put too many matches on centre court because they would wear down the grass too much

Latest