The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4520
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think it's just Toronto he's pulled out of at the moment.

Oh, ok. As is, I think I'd be surprised if he risked too much before the US open, but I've got no idea how long there is till then/if we've heard any more about how his knees are.
Reply 4521
Original post by Slumpy
Oh, ok. As is, I think I'd be surprised if he risked too much before the US open, but I've got no idea how long there is till then/if we've heard any more about how his knees are.

3 weeks till the US Open
Reply 4522
Original post by RtGOAT
3 weeks till the US Open

Man, that soon? I am way behind the times. How long is the US open series again?
From murray's point of view, being ranked 3rd is no different from being ranked 4th, its still a 50-50 as to whether gets drawn with federer or djokovic in grand slams.
It seems Tommy Haas has had a pretty good couple of months. I hope he can continue this form. I'd love to see him have a good run at the US Open since he can't have too much playing time left in his career.

Dominic Inglot won his first ever non-Challenger doubles tournament in Washington this week.
Reply 4525
Original post by Slumpy
Man, that soon? I am way behind the times. How long is the US open series again?

2 weeks.

It does seem to have come round quicker, I think thats with the Olympics bridging the gap between Wimbledon and the US Open.
Original post by Slumpy
I get Murray as 695 behind Nadal. Even just a decent performance would probably mean he'll be in 3rd before long (Nadal's pulled out of this and something else hasn't he?)

Well yes, and he does have a lot of points to defend at the US, but Murray has a lot of points to defend after Toronto aswell so I wasn't thinking too far ahead.
So who are we going with for Toronto? Murray or Djo? Maybe an outside chance of Berdych, who has been playing well enough recently, or Del Potro?
I'll go with Murray to beat Del Potro in the final.
I think it's either going to Murray or Djokovic. Both in pretty good form, even though Djokovic got beat. I would like to see Nishikori, Raonic or Del Potro do well though if they're in it.
Original post by Meteorshower
I think it's either going to Murray or Djokovic. Both in pretty good form, even though Djokovic got beat. I would like to see Nishikori, Raonic or Del Potro do well though if they're in it.

Yeah, they're all in it. Nishikori has a potential third round against Djokovic and Del Potro could meet either of them in the quarter-finals. Raonic has a potential third round against Murray. There could be some very interesting match-ups.
Reply 4531
I haven't seen much of Nishikori or Raonic, what sort of standards are they?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by D-Box
I haven't seen much of Nishikori or Raonic, what sort of standards are they?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Raonic had a very good match against Tsonga at the Olympics, losing after more than 40 games in the 3rd set. When he beat Murray earlier this year he looked pretty good aswell. Nishikori beat Ferrer at the olympics and he was looking pretty good too. Couldn't handle del potro though!
Tsonga and Del Potro are both out. Murray has Raonic next. Could be very interesting but given the form Murray is in he should win.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicRat
Tsonga and Del Potro are both out. Murray has Raonic next. Could be very interesting but given the form Murray is in he should win.

Perhaps, but remember Murray will be knackered, the Olympics win was only this Sunday then he has only been in Canada for a few days so has jetlag. He was showing signs of tiredness yesterday although he won with ease. His knee doesn't like the sudden surface change either.
Reply 4535
Can't wait for the US Open. If Federer meets Nadal and loses, Nadal will once again beat Federer in a hard-court slam.

It's the most anticipated match-up; what are the implications of Nadal leading the hard-court slam H2H 3-0? I think when Federer and Nadal have both retired, it'll come down to two big records: number of slams, and number of Masters 1000 titles.
Rafa's pulled out of Cincinnati :frown: Starting to look more and more likely that he'll pull out of the US Open aswell.

Man I miss Rafa, the tour isn't the same without him IMO :sigh:
Reply 4537
I don't think he'll pull out of the US Open, he's defending 1200 ranking points, which is a huge chunk of his points for the rest of the season.

He'll probably have a very light end of season afterwards though.
Yeah it is quite sad, it never seems like everyone peaks at once
True, I wouldn't fancy him defending those points even if he does play though what with his lack of match practice.

And now Murray's withdrawn from Toronto. They're dropping like flies! But that's what happens when it's scheduled the week after the Olympics :rolleyes: I was looking forward to his match against Raonic aswell :tongue: Surely the tournament is Nole's for the taking?

Latest