Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Tennis Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen much of Nishikori or Raonic, what sort of standards are they?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Box)
    I haven't seen much of Nishikori or Raonic, what sort of standards are they?

Raonic had a very good match against Tsonga at the Olympics, losing after more than 40 games in the 3rd set. When he beat Murray earlier this year he looked pretty good aswell. Nishikori beat Ferrer at the olympics and he was looking pretty good too. Couldn't handle del potro though!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tsonga and Del Potro are both out. Murray has Raonic next. Could be very interesting but given the form Murray is in he should win.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Tsonga and Del Potro are both out. Murray has Raonic next. Could be very interesting but given the form Murray is in he should win.
    Perhaps, but remember Murray will be knackered, the Olympics win was only this Sunday then he has only been in Canada for a few days so has jetlag. He was showing signs of tiredness yesterday although he won with ease. His knee doesn't like the sudden surface change either.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the US Open. If Federer meets Nadal and loses, Nadal will once again beat Federer in a hard-court slam.

It's the most anticipated match-up; what are the implications of Nadal leading the hard-court slam H2H 3-0? I think when Federer and Nadal have both retired, it'll come down to two big records: number of slams, and number of Masters 1000 titles.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rafa's pulled out of Cincinnati Starting to look more and more likely that he'll pull out of the US Open aswell.

Man I miss Rafa, the tour isn't the same without him IMO :sigh:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he'll pull out of the US Open, he's defending 1200 ranking points, which is a huge chunk of his points for the rest of the season.

He'll probably have a very light end of season afterwards though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is quite sad, it never seems like everyone peaks at once
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    True, I wouldn't fancy him defending those points even if he does play though what with his lack of match practice.

And now Murray's withdrawn from Toronto. They're dropping like flies! But that's what happens when it's scheduled the week after the Olympics :rolleyes: I was looking forward to his match against Raonic aswell Surely the tournament is Nole's for the taking?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So annoying! I was also looking forward to that match...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Murray won quite a bit at the end of the season last year...3 tournaments on the trot or so? Does anyone remember approximately how many ranking points they were worth? My gut feeling is not huge amounts, but they made up for it with silly trophies?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if anyone's noticed but Nadal has just withdrawn from Cincinnati. He's not looking good for the US open.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachael.)
    Rafa's pulled out of Cincinnati Starting to look more and more likely that he'll pull out of the US Open aswell.

Man I miss Rafa, the tour isn't the same without him IMO :sigh:
    Certainly isn't - the tennis at the Olympics was great but, it's just not the same without Rafa there.

Really not looking good long term for Rafa, almost certain that he'll be no.4 in the next couple of months and maybe even lower by the end of the year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he'll get lower than 4 unless Ferrer or Tsonga has a blinder of an ending to the season.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Certainly isn't - the tennis at the Olympics was great but, it's just not the same without Rafa there.

Really not looking good long term for Rafa, almost certain that he'll be no.4 in the next couple of months and maybe even lower by the end of the year.
    How on earth would he fall as far as no.5 by the end of the year? 3,500 points between him and the current no.5 is gigantic. Probably no.4, sure, but no.5?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    How on earth would he fall as far as no.5 by the end of the year? 3,500 points between him and the current no.5 is gigantic. Probably no.4, sure, but no.5?
    Perhaps that was an overstatement, I hadn't really looked at the gap between Ferrer and Murray currently. But he has a lot of points to defend at the US, and points here and there at some of the Masters events which will mean if he does drop to no.4 that he might also be dropping off the top 3 if he doesn't get some match wins under his belt.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hope Rafa doesn't pull out the US Open. Although not his best surface, it just doesn't feel right to not have the top 4 in the semis.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Hope Rafa doesn't pull out the US Open. Although not his best surface, it just doesn't feel right to not have the top 4 in the semis.
    The top 4 don't have a god given right to be in the semis- it's the players that perform best in the tournament that deserve to be there. At the moment it looks like Del Potro's got a decent shot but we'll see where everyone is next week in Cincy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    The top 4 don't have a god given right to be in the semis- it's the players that perform best in the tournament that deserve to be there. At the moment it looks like Del Potro's got a decent shot but we'll see where everyone is next week in Cincy.
    True but Federer vs Djokovic and Murray vs Nadal are always the most entertaining semi matchups to watch. Although I would like to see Del Potro to do well too.

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Murray vs Nadal is never a good semi match up. Murray's playstyle just does not gel well against Nadal, it's a dull match-up. Federer-Murray and Djokovic-Nadal is always much more interesting.
Updated: March 17, 2013
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.