The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m:)ckel
I did a fist pump after one of Murray's very few inspirational moments today and was mortified to see a replay of Judy Murray doing the same thing seconds later.

Djokovic was outstanding today. One of Andy's strengths is his defence but Djok takes it to the next level. I can understand how demoralising it can be when someone just keeps getting it back, but really, Murray was very disappointing today. I do worry about him in the future. I hope he manages to bring something remotely close to his best tennis when he reaches his next GS final.

A big concern is his temperament and just how down in the dumps Murray gets when things aren't going his way. The poor lad could have done with some lithium today just to steady himself. In such big matches, he needs to be able to recover from down periods, periods when he's struggling...

It's a concern that in all three grand slam finals he's appeared in, he's not won one set yet. He does have the game and the weapons but he simply does not deploy them in the right way, at least when it's come to finals. That serve, when it's firing, is one hell of a weapon and likewise, his backhand. Until he stops being so passive and becomes more the aggressor and takes the initiative in rallies, he won't be winning a Grand Slam final anytime soon.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
A big concern is his temperament and just how down in the dumps Murray gets when things aren't going his way. The poor lad could have done with some lithium today just to steady himself. In such big matches, he needs to be able to recover from down periods, periods when he's struggling...

It's a concern that in all three grand slam finals he's appeared in, he's not won one set yet. He does have the game and the weapons but he simply does not deploy them in the right way, at least when it's come to finals. That serve, when it's firing, is one hell of a weapon and likewise, his backhand. Until he stops being so passive and becomes more the aggressor and takes the initiative in rallies, he won't be winning a Grand Slam final anytime soon.

Murray went through a spell (it was in the last couple of years) when he was very restrained and calm on court, even when things weren't going his way. Today his emotions seemed to completely crash and it was like watching the hot headed teenager he was when he first came onto the circuit. I'm not saying letting his emotions out is a bad thing, but you have to show a certain amount of restraint. Towards the end today, Murray was doing a lot of self-hating with pretty much every bad ball. Can't be good for your concentration when you're endlessly throwing small hissy fits.
(edited 13 years ago)
Djokovic outclassed Murray today. He is just a far superior player. Multiple slams for sure. Nadal better watch out, this guy is going to be huge!
YUM :p:

I was hoping he'd take his shorts off and throw it too :rolleyes:

A piss poor effort from Murray, both came out tight but I thought Murray would gradually play himself in and come out on top. But he started poorly and just got worse, his depth was atrocious, he failed to utilise his attacking backhand and his WTA forehand got exposed once again. So many times he'd get on top in the rally inside the court and then just backtrack instead of moving forward.

A bad final, another bad slam but credit to Djokovic who was consistently top notch
Original post by Economist
I'm predicting Murray in 4. I think he has the beating of Djok, been a while since they played each other but Murray has won the last 6 sets (all on hard court). If Murray can keep a good depth I can't see Djokovic being able to hurt him. Could well be won/lost in the head this

Murray in 4, eh :wink:

Got quite a few Aus Open predictions wrong. I predicted Djok in 4, wasn't too far off tbh.

Truly was piss-poor from Murray. This just adds yet more pressure, more of a monkey on his back if/when he makes another Grand Slam final...
Reply 106
Original post by When will I know?

haha perve!
Reply 107
Original post by Economist
A piss poor effort from Murray, both came out tight but I thought Murray would gradually play himself in and come out on top. But he started poorly and just got worse, his depth was atrocious, he failed to utilise his attacking backhand and his WTA forehand got exposed once again. So many times he'd get on top in the rally inside the court and then just backtrack instead of moving forward.

A bad final, another bad slam but credit to Djokovic who was consistently top notch

Haha yeah his forehand can be pretty **** at times although its a lot better than it used to be. When he actually goes for it it can be pretty good but he hardly ever does. I blame judy murray as jamie murray has an awful forehand for a pro player (if you can call him that). When he turns it on and ups the power on both sides like he did briefly against Ferrer he looks impressive but thats pretty rare and against the top 3 he isn't gonna win just pushing the ball back all the time
Original post by st_23
haha perve!

:biggrin: I only said what everyone was thinking.

..Im sure someone in the crowd wanted his shorts instead of :

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
Andy Murray running around his backhand to play a forehand is one of the most annoying things about tennis :colonhash:
Reply 110
:biggrin: I only said what everyone was thinking.

..Im sure someone in the crowd wanted his shorts instead of :

haha im pretty sure they guys weren't thinking that (well maybe a few) and his body isn't that great. Obviously he is in great shape strength and endurance wise but i don't think he body is that amazing. I bet you are hating me for saying this.

I have a picture of him that would make you jealous though (he is fully clothed in it btw). It's at wimbledon and he was literally standing right next to me but I didn't have anything on me for him to sign so couldn't get his autograph :frown: not that I ever pay much attention to the ones i do have lol.

P.S i'd much rather someone like Kirilenko took her top off haha
Reply 111

Agreed =D
Original post by st_23
haha im pretty sure they guys weren't thinking that (well maybe a few) and his body isn't that great. Obviously he is in great shape strength and endurance wise but i don't think he body is that amazing. I bet you are hating me for saying this.

I have a picture of him that would make you jealous though (he is fully clothed in it btw). It's at wimbledon and he was literally standing right next to me but I didn't have anything on me for him to sign so couldn't get his autograph :frown: not that I ever pay much attention to the ones i do have lol.

Ha not hating you for it actually..because i agree he doesnt have the best body, but it's not exactly bad (with a nice tan too:tongue:)....and his eyes :sogood:

Fully clothed or not...jealous!! Shame about the autograph..but as long as you kind of touched him:wink:

P.S i'd much rather someone like Kirilenko took her top off haha

She's gorgeous ..but I'd rather be lucky Anna Kournikova for day.. and spend it with Enrique :love:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by becky=)
Agreed =D

:five:
Reply 114
Ha not hating you for it actually..because i agree he doesnt have the best body, but it's not exactly bad (with a nice tan too:tongue:)....and his eyes :sogood:

Fully clothed or not...jealous!! Shame about the autograph..but as long as you kind of touched him:wink:

She's gorgeous ..but I'd rather be lucky Anna Kournikova for day.. and spend it with Enrique :love:

haha well i didn't do that because that would have been quite wierd and also I reckon they would have chucked me out of wimbledon which would have resulted in a wasted day although saying that i'm pretty sure it rained almost all day that time so it wouldnt have made much difference :frown:

I was thinking about posting the image on here just to make you jealous but then i though na its too much effort :P

Yeah she is, I remember seeing her play doubles with Ivanovic at wimbledon one time and I was just like :drool: haha.

But if you were kirilenko you could have andreev :tumble: haha only joking. Yeah i think most girls wish they could be in her position.
Original post by Louis.
Andy Murray running around his backhand to play a forehand is one of the most annoying things about tennis :colonhash:

Or what about Murray making a strenuous groan as if he'd hit the hardest forehand in his life, only for it to be a 50 mph loop ball that barely gets past the service line. :tongue:

Poor Andy, I like the guy but his forehand is pretty laughable.
Original post by Sirocco11
Or what about Murray making a strenuous groan as if he'd hit the hardest forehand in his life, only for it to be a 50 mph loop ball that barely gets past the service line. :tongue:

Poor Andy, I like the guy but his forehand is pretty laughable.

as least he's got a fit girlfriend tbh. He's done well for himself.

Murray is a bit like me really - my favourite and best shot is the two handed back-hand, well, and backhand slice, and my forehand is a bit dodgy.
Reply 117
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9387018.stm

Murray loses 6-4 6-1 to Baghdatis. I know the decision to play was last minute and he didn't have much preparation, but...he's going to crumble again isn't he :facepalm2:
Reply 118
Original post by Louis.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9387018.stm

Murray loses 6-4 6-1 to Baghdatis. I know the decision to play was last minute and he didn't have much preparation, but...he's going to crumble again isn't he :facepalm2:

yeah i saw the score earlier today and he was winning 3-0 then looked at the score again a few hours ago and saw that he won two games after that lol. Still I don't think he will be quite as bad as last year
Anyone watching San Jose at the moment ? Saw Del Potro play Lacko last night and he looked awesome, close to the player he was in 2009 and hit one of his signature cannon forehands crosscourt. Plus one of his serves clocked at 132 broke the net. :biggrin:

Awesome fixture tonight as he'll be playing Hewitt.

Latest