The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
well if your on uni park which is catered you'll save money on food, have a look on site how much rooms cost, but it varies with type...approx £3.900 inc food. After that its just money on books, theres free transport and mainly going out. First few weeks will cost around £200+, but after that you can survive on around £50 a week max. I seem to spend loads of money in the su shop on jubilee on bits and pieces.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Compared to how much you actually spend on food, the different between catered and self catered is stupid- last year the difference was £50 a week, and this year I spend about £20 a week on food, and over the year, that's a LOT of money.

Having said that, you'll probably have to pay for 11 or 12 months rent for a private house, compared to only about 32 weeks in halls- unless you get very lucky! Private rent for most people seems to be about £55 to £65 a week, although I have friends who pay more and friends who pay less.

After food, rent, bills, etc, I usually manage to survive on about £30 a week, although I'd prefer a bit more flexibility on that!

But loads of people seem to get jobs, in the second year more than the first, but there is lots out there.
Reply 3
Private rent can be anything from £40 a week. That may or may not include bills.

My house is one of the more expensive ones: It's £185 a month plus bills between three of us. We're looking at less than £3000 a year to live which is cheaper than halls. BUT it depends how much you go out - I spend less than a pound a day on food and I don't go out that much so you'd probably spend more.

Depending on landlord/letting agency, contracts could be for anything from 3 months to 11.
Reply 4
Jianren
Private rent can be anything from £40 a week. That may or may not include bills.

My house is one of the more expensive ones: It's £185 a month plus bills between three of us. We're looking at less than £3000 a year to live which is cheaper than halls. BUT it depends how much you go out - I spend less than a pound a day on food and I don't go out that much so you'd probably spend more.

Depending on landlord/letting agency, contracts could be for anything from 3 months to 11.

£185 a month between three one of the more expensive ones? :confused: Or do you mean £185 a month each, because even then that's a less than most people in lenton will pay.

Although I do know a couple of people paying under £50, some people just get lucky (or know where to look). And I do know one guy who so far hadn't payed any rent at all!
Reply 5
£185 rent a month each, plus bills shared between us. Which isn't particularly expensive. Out of all the houses we looked at this was the nicest and the msot expensive. There are far cheaper out there. Sometimes you have to look just a little outside Lenton. For example, I'm on Radford Boulevard. It's just a stone's throw from Lenton (literally - I can hop out the door and be in Lenton in half a minute) but it's cheaper anyway.
Jianren
£185 rent a month each, plus bills shared between us. Which isn't particularly expensive. Out of all the houses we looked at this was the nicest and the msot expensive. There are far cheaper out there. Sometimes you have to look just a little outside Lenton. For example, I'm on Radford Boulevard. It's just a stone's throw from Lenton (literally - I can hop out the door and be in Lenton in half a minute) but it's cheaper anyway.

Radford!!!! I've been told to avoid it when finding a place to live. I've been told ''it's all about Lenton''.
Reply 7
Jianren

Yeah, Lenton tends to cost more just because it's Lenton, although I do know a couple of people even there who managed to find something pretty cheap.
Reply 8
I spend less than a pound a day on food and I don't go out that much so you'd probably spend more.

less than a pound???? Omg what do you eat???? I spend waaaay more than that, i mean 1 piece of fruit is like 15p, so 5 of those is 75p and then you have 25p left for everything else!!!
I spend about 20 quid a month, but i reckon its cheaper if you're a veggie
omg £20 per week on food...i could never do that and even at the mo in catered, i must spend £15 per week on food and bits and pieces.
I meant 20 quid a week not a month. I spent a fair bit on food last year in halls - either that or die of starvation! But i have only had 1 takeaway since being in a house, whereas we had at least 1 a week last year. So theres quite a lot of money wasted on them that you wont need to when you can make your own nice food!
There are lots of jobs availble in nottingham, and it is fairly easy to get one if you want to - it just means making the effort filling in forms, giving out CVs etc. The city centre isn't far from uni park (short bus journey) so it is easy to get there to work.

Some of your money will go one course costs, books etc, but this will vary alot between courses and people. Some courses need alot of books, others you can just get them from the library. You will probably end up buying some books though, and they aren't cheap normally at least £20 each, often more. Other things people often don't think about are the cost of things like ink (and reams of paper) if you have got a printer. Most of my lectures are on powerpoint and we have to print them off, which can add up quickly. I do my printing at uni, and spend about £4 a week on it, which adds up over the year.

Generally people seem to prefer self-catered accom, as even if you are catered they end up spending money on food anyway, for missed meals and to eat when the meals are bad!! So far I have spent less this year, not it halls, than I did last year when I was.
Reply 12
Thanks for the answers. I am just a bit worried cause I am sending my ucas form this week and I need to decide where to apply. I live in london and my parents pressure me to stay in london for university. According to them its more "cost effective" :mad: . I will geto some money for living( probably 2000/2300 pounds) so i have to be sure that i will be able to earn some pocket money.I am classified as overseas cant rely on student loans. Anyway thanks for the answers :smile: . I think i will apply to notts.
Reply 13
john williams
omg £20 per week on food...i could never do that and even at the mo in catered, i must spend £15 per week on food and bits and pieces.

Part of it just learning not to waste all that money on bits and pieces (although I still buy loads of chocolate and stuff that I don't include in my weekly shopping)

Also its things like for the cost of buying a sandwich on campus you could buy a loaf of bread and something to put on it as well!
Yeh the SU shops are a rip off when you consider they are supposed to be for students, its cheaper to walk to sainsburys in Beeston. Also there should be a supermarket on campus like some campus unis have and maybe a 24-7/7 days a week take away/food court.

In your first yr unless you really try to, you cant easily get a job on campus and iv not yet met a single person who has a part time job.
Reply 15
john williams
Yeh the SU shops are a rip off when you consider they are supposed to be for students, its cheaper to walk to sainsburys in Beeston. Also there should be a supermarket on campus like some campus unis have and maybe a 24-7/7 days a week take away/food court.

In your first yr unless you really try to, you cant easily get a job on campus and iv not yet met a single person who has a part time job.

I hardly knew any first years with jobs (I worked in the hall shop and I knew a couple of people who worked on campus bars), it seems to be a lot more common for second years to have them though.
Reply 16
T. Hereford
Radford!!!! I've been told to avoid it when finding a place to live. I've been told ''it's all about Lenton''.

Radford Boulevard is like Lenton, it's on the same road as some of the Lenton accomodation. The difference? It's cheaper and less crowded. Plus I'm right next to an Aldi and a bus picks up outside my house right into campus. I dunno what the big deal is about Radford *blinks* I love the place. It feels safe to me.

Oh, about food, I tend to live on crackers and fruit, hence the cheapness.

Latest

Trending

Trending