The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
I missed out on my uni place last year because I mucked up my A-Levels so have had to take an unplanned gap year.

I feel so depressed though. ALL of my friends are at university except for me and are having a fantastic time. I have a job, but no friends or boyfriend here. I go and see my friends as much as I can at their unis, but when I get back I feel almost suicidal because they are living the lifestyle I was so looking forward to but now I'm stuck at home for a year with my parents nagging me, no friends or boyfriend, and I feel so horrible.

Is anyone else in this situation and if so, what are you doing about it?

Im in the same position, it really sucks! Had to take a 3rd year at college, because I decided I wanted to do a course I didnt have the right subjects for :/ Guess im just looking forward, we'l be going there soon!! :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by DH-Biker
I'm not going to Uni in general. Was going to, but I asked to have my name taken off UCAS.
I knew Further-Education wasn't the thing for me. So, I thought I'd play to my strengths and going into biking. Was fortified when I saw my AS-Level grades, haha! :colone:

Still, there's lots of people who are in your situation. I would've gone into Uni, but I'm just not intelligent enough in my A-Level fields to support trying, I'll miss out on some exceptional times, but I'll hopefully have my own. :colondollar:

Don't let it get you down, though. :console::grouphugs:
Like I said, there'll be loads of people in your situation! :smile: Hardly uncommon. :biggrin:

Don't ever link your intelligence with you A level results.

Qualifications in this country are NOT measurements of intelligence. Your grammar, punctuation and general prose suggests that you are as literate, if not more so, than most people at university.

Just saying.
Reply 42
Original post by duke5
Don't ever link your intelligence with you A level results.

Qualifications in this country are NOT measurements of intelligence. Your grammar, punctuation and general prose suggests that you are as literate, if not more so, than most people at university.

Just saying.

Yeah, this is true on reflection. They do show that you can grasp the concepts of those courses, but I suppose you're right in that they don't define one's intillectual-standard all-around.

I suppose one of the more beneficial aspects of people is that our intelligence varies around areas. For example, I'd consider myself highly intelligent in bikes. Whereas my intelligence in areas such Business, (much of) Maths, Physics, Biology etc is no where near the same standard as in regards to my biking.

I guess A-Levels aren't, if you look at it that way. :p:

Still; thank you for your comment on my Grammer, Punctuation, Prose and Writing-Style in general. :colondollar: I appriciate that.
Reply 43
Original post by DH-Biker
Yeah, this is true on reflection. They do show that you can grasp the concepts of those courses, but I suppose you're right in that they don't define one's intillectual-standard all-around.

I suppose one of the more beneficial aspects of people is that our intelligence varies around areas. For example, I'd consider myself highly intelligent in bikes. Whereas my intelligence in areas such Business, (much of) Maths, Physics, Biology etc is no where near the same standard as in regards to my biking.

I guess A-Levels aren't, if you look at it that way. :p:

Still; thank you for your comment on my Grammer, Punctuation, Prose and Writing-Style in general. :colondollar: I appriciate that.

Your prose and writing-style is not great, on TSR mine can lapse too, but it is perfectly legible and actually you can apply words well in context and I see written work by university graduates in complete disarray. Much worse than many non-Uni students writing on TSR.

I just take issue with this view that those who don't go to university are in some different tier to those who have, it's just unfair. I especially think people like you shouldn't think university students are in some way smarter than you. Having a quirky hobby like biking is more than most students who are merely going through a conventional system the government told them to go through.

Labour has created a two-tier generation: university and non-university. It's messed up.
Reply 44
Hey,
I know this thread started a while back but I stumbled across it today and was wondering how people were getting on. Everyone in my year has gone or is going to uni this year and I'm not, I'm looking for work and stuff but I feel so depressed about it :frown:
I mean my boyfriend is an hour and a half away and my best friend is 2 and a half away and it sucks how they're going out every night and I'm not jealous just sad that I can't experience it.
I don't know how to cope, I suffer from depression already and this is making me feel like crap :/
Original post by EvieH
Hey,
I know this thread started a while back but I stumbled across it today and was wondering how people were getting on. Everyone in my year has gone or is going to uni this year and I'm not, I'm looking for work and stuff but I feel so depressed about it :frown:
I mean my boyfriend is an hour and a half away and my best friend is 2 and a half away and it sucks how they're going out every night and I'm not jealous just sad that I can't experience it.
I don't know how to cope, I suffer from depression already and this is making me feel like crap :/

lol I know this comment was posted a while back but I was wondering the same thing. I have taken a gap year and althought I have been working and keeping busy, itsnearly christmas and I still dont kniw what im going to do. regardless of what im going to do next September (uni? no idea) I want to find something to do for the rest of this year with other people my age. if u see this please let me know what you did and how you handled an unplanned gap year.
I’m about to be in the exact same situation mate, just pursue something you love at home wether that’s sport, gym, a new hobbie, starting a business or something on those lines that keep you occupied but also keeps you learning! Just keep positive thoughts in your mind even when it’s dark around you:smile: because at the end of the day you shouldn’t be focusing on other people, this is your life so make the most out of it. Try something new and out of your comfort zone, just do it because life is boring without taking risks! I wish you good luck:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending