The Student Room Group

Can I switch universities at the end of my second year?

Hi everyone,

this might sound quite bizarre but I'm currently in the second semester of my second year at university in the UK studying economics and finance and really not enjoying it that much. My A-levels were an A in Economics, a B in Mathematics and a C in geography, and in my first year I averaged 68, and I'm doing similarly in second year although not got my marks back yet.

I want to carry on with the same or very similar course, its great, its just I feel my university has quite a terrible learning environment, and many of the course modules have such little depth into what actually could be taught.

Is it possible to just switch universities? I had to come to this university at 18 straight after my A-levels as an insurance choice because my school was pressuring not to take a gap year and my parents didn't want me living at home another year. I missed getting into Sheffield uni because I was a few marks off a B in geography, even when they only needed 3Bs and I got an A in economics ugh. I guess I should have thought about this last year but I just assumed it would get better when the exams actually count?

Has anyone actually done/heard of anyone else succeeding in doing something like this?

tl;dr

Been at university for a year and a half now, decided I'm not enjoying it, want to do a similar course somewhere else with a good learning environment. I've been to edinburgh which looks nice, also thinking of Exeter maybe but other than that just somewhere slightly better than where I am.

Thanks!
Original post by Fynch101
:smile:

It's possible, yes, but I imagine you'd have to switch in your final year now. Ring up the Admissions of the universities you are interested in and explain the situation. If you are able to transfer, it will most likely be on the condition that you get a 2:1 this year.
Reply 2
Original post by maskofsanity
It's possible, yes, but I imagine you'd have to switch in your final year now. Ring up the Admissions of the universities you are interested in and explain the situation. If you are able to transfer, it will most likely be on the condition that you get a 2:1 this year.

Thanks very much, without sounding cocky I'm almost certain I'll get a 2:1, even if a low one.
Reply 3
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi, I'm afraid I'm going to take the opposite view here. My university along with many others are allowing NO transfers into either the 2nd or final year this upcoming year. (application forms are being rejected without making their way out of centrak admissions) The way the funding works now the university you transfer to gets 1 years funding for you rather than 3/4 years funding for someone who is going to join the first year of the course.

Now, I know nothing about economics courses, but you may also find many courses that are accredited, only lead to an accredited award if you study for more than 1 year at the university you graduate from (certainly the case in my area).

So ,there you are, hopefully you hit lucky with uni you want to transfer to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending