The Student Room Group

The Ongoing PSYA4 Discussion Thread- June Exam :)

Hey everyone, now that people have finished PSYA3 (at long last :tongue:) I thought we could discuss what we're gonna do for PSYA4, how we're finding it so far etc.

So the exam is on the morning of the 21st of June and lasts 2 hours!

Not looking forward to research methods, had a brief readthrough of the chapter and gosh it looks mind numbingly boring.

Then there's one of Schizophrenia, Depression and Anxiety disorders/OCD.

And another one of Anomalistic, Media and addiction psychology. Bring it on!

I'm doing Schizophrenia and Anomalistic. What are you all doing?

Here are all the current aqa resources I can find:

PSYA4 Specimen:
Spec Paper
Spec Markscheme

PSYA4 Jan 2010:
Paper
Markscheme
Examiners Report

Found PSYA4 June 2010 and January 2011 too, it's attached to this post.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does everyone have to do research methods? I just thought it was my college being wierd again!
Original post by Rosi M
Does everyone have to do research methods? I just thought it was my college being wierd again!

Haha yeah it is, its compulsory! It looks so boring I really hope we don't have to know how to do statistical tests :tongue:.
depression and addiction for me :smile: we started addiction back before the summer holidays for some reason so we've already done half the topic and i can tell you it's quite boring from what I can remember :yawn:
Reply 4
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
Haha yeah it is, its compulsory! It looks so boring I really hope we don't have to know how to do statistical tests :tongue:.

Omg i dont even know what that is! Urghhh.. do they actually give us data and expect us to calculate stuff? I do biology and chemistry but doing calculations in psychology is just wrong!!
Reply 5
Original post by Rosi M
Omg i dont even know what that is! Urghhh.. do they actually give us data and expect us to calculate stuff? I do biology and chemistry but doing calculations in psychology is just wrong!!

Haa, yes they do:smile:We have to do similar things to hypothesis testing...mann-whitney test, chi-square :\ I do maths A2 with stats and it isn't gonna be that bad, don't panic!!! It just looks boring tbh :frown: x
Reply 6
Original post by xxamixx31
Haa, yes they do:smile:We have to do similar things to hypothesis testing...mann-whitney test, chi-square :\ I do maths A2 with stats and it isn't gonna be that bad, don't panic!!! It just looks boring tbh :frown: x

Haha im not worried about the difficulty.. it cant be that hard 'cos they know that not all psycho students are science/maths students but the boredom we're going to suffer from.. bad bad times :tongue:
Doing Schizophrenia and Media, looking forward to it to be honest, PSYA3 was getting extremely boring.

Btw hopefully this thread will be as successful as PSYA3 - missing that thread already... :redface:
Original post by YoursSincerely
Doing Schizophrenia and Media, looking forward to it to be honest, PSYA3 was getting extremely boring.

Btw hopefully this thread will be as successful as PSYA3 - missing that thread already... :redface:

Haha yeah thank god psya3 is over. My teacher started psya4 as soon as we got back from the xmas hols, so basically we're already done iwth schizophrenia! Its quite a nice topic tbh and the biological stuff isn't difficult, despite that being a thing people tend not to like, the biological stuff!

Yeah that was a good thread, we could all discuss with e/o our worries and stuff :smile:.

and we're doing anomalistic, media psychology looks really interesting too though have fun doing it :biggrin:
Reply 9
My college decided to do Unit4 in Jan and Unit 3 in June

So I am revising for this exam which is on wednesday 2nd Feb
I am doing topics Schizophrenia,Media Psychology and Research Methods
Arghhh 3 more days left :eek:
Original post by Shortyyyy
My college decided to do Unit4 in Jan and Unit 3 in June

So I am revising for this exam which is on wednesday 2nd Feb
I am doing topics Schizophrenia,Media Psychology and Research Methods
Arghhh 3 more days left :eek:

wow good luck, whats your fav topic been ?
Reply 11
Original post by YoursSincerely

I'm doing the same and totally agree with PSYA4 getting boring :tongue: - the best thing about it was the thread :wink:
I'm starting PSYA4 on monday... we'll be doing OCD and addiction... not quite sure how i feel about it now... but definitely worried about research methods... hated the little bit we had to do for AS!!!
The Phillip Allan student unit guides are really useful, if anyones interested in them. Theres two for unit 4 just like unit 3.

Psychology in Action and Research Methods

Psychopathology
The Phillip Allan student unit guides are really useful, if anyones interested in them. Theres two for unit 4 just like unit 3.

Psychology in Action and Research Methods

Psychopathology

Just so i understand, the first link is the revision book all to do with research methods, whilst the second link has the revision book for the other 2 questions (e.g. OCD and psychology of addiction)?
Original post by asha_patel
Just so i understand, the first link is the revision book all to do with research methods, whilst the second link has the revision book for the other 2 questions (e.g. OCD and psychology of addiction)?

The first is research methods and the applied topics (addictio, media psych and anomalistic)

the second book is solely psychopathology (schizophrenia, OCD and depression)
The first is research methods and the applied topics (addictio, media psych and anomalistic)

the second book is solely psychopathology (schizophrenia, OCD and depression)

Ahhhh, ok. Thank you!!!
Reply 17
We get to pick our topics in our college luckily!? So either depression, schizophrenia or something else. I've picked depression anyway and notes are done.
Media influence may key into what I learn in media throughout this year and finally, research methods! Mmmmm, the only maths I do is work our floor plans at work.. tbh OUCH
Reply 18
We only bothered to decide on schizophrenia for section A. How come you lot already decided on one for section B as well :confused: Reckon we're quite laid back in my class tbh.

Anyone considering anomalistic or addiction for section B? Doubt I'm interested in media :colone:
my school is doing depression and addiction

Latest

Trending

Trending