The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter PGCE Primary Interview - anyone done it?

Hi there,

I have an interview for Exeter's PGCE Primary Humanities course next month.

Has anyone else been called for an interview or already done one there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I got an interview for Exeter`s International Law course this week.. I can post some of the questions they ask me.. it might help you though we`re not applying for the same course
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hi,
I had an interview in for the PGCE primary in mathematics, so obviously it wont be the same. We had to give a presentation as a maths starter, do a written test and also an interview. Im assuming you have something history related for your presentation but ours was informal, with all the other applicants joining in your lesson.
The written task was about the exeter theory of learning for maths, which you can find on their website, so maybe see if they have a publication on their website about their learning theory for history in primary schools.
Then the interview started with a few maths questions, then more general questions such as what makes a good teacher? why maths? and if there was anything else I didnt have a chance to say in my application.
Hope that helps, I got offered a place so will be in Exeter this September!
Good Luck!
Reply 3
Cheers for pointing me in the right direction.

Really appreciate it.
Reply 4
I've just been offered a place on this year's Primary PGCE with English course at Exeter Uni, wooooooohoooooooo! I'm so excited. Anyone else doing the primary course? Would be good to chat so I kind of know a few people before I start. I can't stop smiling! :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, congrats on your place. I'm starting PGCE Early Years at Exeter in September.
I've gone from excited to petrified and back again!! Looks like a great place to study but as a mature (36) bit panicky about being too old, juggling the workload and whether my brain actually still works. xxxxxx
Reply 6
You'll be fab! I'm 28 so seen as a mature student too. I'm going to hand in my notice at work today so I can finish in July then have a few weeks off during the summer to move down south and get ready for the course. Yay!
Reply 7
Thanks. I wish I'd taken contact details from my interview day.
Everyone was lovely but I don't know who got in and who didn't.
I know one other PGCE English I will try to put you two in touch. Where are you moving from? I'm trying to arrange a preliminary week in a school but they won't reply.....and now it's half term. Aargh. x
Reply 8
Hi Jebrey and LadyNolan

I'm starting PGCE Early Years in Sept too - and at 30 I'm also a 'mature' student! I finish work mid-August, have a week's holiday and then a couple of weeks to get ready...although I've started pre-reading now as I don't how I'll fit it in otherwise...!

I got my preliminary placement last week. I emailed 9 schools in one day and my husband persuaded me to round it up to 10 - and it was the 10th one that offered me a place! (Most didn't even answer!)

I'm excited to see who from my interview day got on... don't suppose either of you are from the 12th January day???:biggrin:
Reply 9
Ah well done! I interviewed in April, I've just received my medical / self declaration forms and sent them back. Haven't been sent any info about a reading list or arranging my week's placement in September yet - did they send you an email/letter about organising it or did you just do it off your own back? Cheers.
Reply 10
Hi, nice to hear from another Early Years. I interviewed before Christmas and they were a really friendly bunch. Some were already studying at Exeter so they must like it there. I've just started looking at the pre reading and stupidly started with maths!! The pre reading is available on the Exeter website ( I think its under partnership with schools then a sub section for 2011-12 student appears). Waiting till after half term to try other schools for the placement as I'm hoping my choice will reply....... xx
Hi, I'm another 'mature' student. Starting primary maths in september! :-)

All the primary pre-couse docs are here.

Not sure if I was posted anything about the placement, but there are a few docs about it to download from that link.

I've arranged my placement already, the head has invited me to meet the school next week!
Reply 12
I've just arranged mine too, so exciting! September will be here before we know it.
Reply 13
Original post by jebrey303

I've just been offered a place on this year's Primary PGCE with English course at Exeter Uni, wooooooohoooooooo! I'm so excited. Anyone else doing the primary course? Would be good to chat so I kind of know a few people before I start. I can't stop smiling! :smile:

Hi there, I have an interview on the 16th June at Exeter for PGCE Primary with English. Could you give me some idea of what they ask you/what you have to do? I would really appreciate any help, congrats on the place by the way!
Reply 14
I've applied for PGCE primary with music and if I'm lucky enough to get an interview I'd say it would be very short notice >.<

Do they give you tasks or anything at the interview?
Any hints would be greatly appreciated, e.g. any topics the particularly seemed to want opinions on?
Reply 15
Ah good luck both of you! This late in the cycle there'll probably only be a couple of other people interviewing with you, unlike the huge interviews they tend to do earlier on. You need to know about current educational issues that could affect you, why you want to be a teacher, and show you can work in a group in the task exercise - they get you to discuss a piece of writing and what you like about it - show your opinions but don't talk over anyone or interrupt, basically try and think like you're a teacher encouraging other people in their ideas.
Reply 16
Any news JossLane and lorbol??
Reply 17
Wasn't lucky enough to get in this year, so never mind. Hopefully next year will be the time for me. :frown:

Hi I have messaged you independently as well just in case but I am applying to this course now and awaiting a reply... got rejected from my first choice uni so don't want to mess this one up!

Are you enjoying the course now? Any advice for someone just applying now? :colondollar:

I'm also on the Primary PGCE with English yay! Can't wait to start now....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending