The Student Room Group

Southport Driving Test Centre

I had taken and failed (with a near pass) my first practical driving test at Southport test centre last week. I have another practical test on Tuesday, again at Southport test centre. Apparently there are 15 different test routes you could be taken on. I hope I get the same test route but with a different more fun and relaxed examiner.

Just wondered if any of you guy's had taken your test at Southport test centre? What was your test course like and where did it lead to as I may end up on the same course. What was the name of your examiner and how was their attitude to you? Just in case I have the same examiner if I know their patience towards the learners I may relax a little

I Passed on second attempt!!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well?! Advice needed here!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't worry about where they're taking you. Your being assessed on your ability to drive and handle whatever hazards present themselves. Even if you did the same route again, the hazards could be completely different and you could still fail if you just don't know how to respond.

As for "patience towards learners", ask yourself if you consider yourself to still be a learner. To be confident of passing your test, you should be a driver with a good amount of experience, not just a "beginner learner". While it could be said that all drivers never stop learning, what I'm getting at here is that you should no longer be a learner of a basic skill who is often unsure of what to do in various situations.
Reply 3
Original post by Advisor
Don't worry about where they're taking you. Your being assessed on your ability to drive and handle whatever hazards present themselves. Even if you did the same route again, the hazards could be completely different and you could still fail if you just don't know how to respond.

As for "patience towards learners", ask yourself if you consider yourself to still be a learner. To be confident of passing your test, you should be a driver with a good amount of experience, not just a "beginner learner". While it could be said that all drivers never stop learning, what I'm getting at here is that you should no longer be a learner of a basic skill who is often unsure of what to do in various situations.

Thank's I suppose your right. I don't consider myself as a learner any-more, I feel more of a professional driver. If I do happen to be given the same examiner, I told my instructor to jump in the back. If I have a different examiner I'll go without him.
Reply 4
Original post by berryboysh
If I do happen to be given the same examiner, I told my instructor to jump in the back. If I have a different examiner I'll go without him.
That's up to you of course, but it won't make the slightest difference to the result. Also, it could awkward in the waiting room if you make it obvious at the start by asking your instructor in front of the examiner.
That's where I'll be going but I can't help you as I haven't been yet, sorry. What are the roads like? what's the quietest time of day for traffic?
If your a competent enough driver to be on the roads with out some one at your side then you will pass where ever you are. best thing to do is just to take a drop of rescue remedy and relax, and also rememberyou need to be in the right lane to go right at a round about (i know about three people who have failed for going right in the left lane).
Reply 7
Original post by Botticello
That's where I'll be going but I can't help you as I haven't been yet, sorry. What are the roads like? what's the quietest time of day for traffic?

Good luck and I hope you don't get given Roy Wong as an examiner!! He is realllly picky and doesn't think twice about marking down faults.
However I had my second practical test today and I PASSED!! I passed with John Hastings. He is very professional and lets you get away with certain things. He used to be the test centre manager and is partially retired and in his late 50's - 60.

The roads on the test routes aren't so bad but some are really hard. Good luck and i hope you pass
(edited 13 years ago)
Good luck and I hope you don't get given Roy Wong as an examiner!! He is realllly picky and doesn't think twice about marking down faults.
However I had my second practical test today and I PASSED!! I passed with John Hastings. He is very professional and lets you get away with certain things. He used to be the test centre manager and is partially retired and in his late 50's - 60.

The roads on the test routes aren't so bad but some are really hard. Good luck and i hope you pass

Well done, I'll laugh if I get Roy, knowing my luck! I can't wait to pass mine :smile:
Reply 9
Well done, I'll laugh if I get Roy, knowing my luck! I can't wait to pass mine :smile:

HA HA! I think there are 6 examiner at Southport so you have a 1/6 chance of getting him. He likes choosing really difficult test routes for learners and he always has his pen near the test report as if he is marking down faults, which can lower the learners confidence.
Is there anything you struggle on? like speed limits, junctions (giving way) reverse exercises e.c.t?

Is this your first test? When is your test and what time does it start?
HA HA! I think there are 6 examiner at Southport so you have a 1/6 chance of getting him. He likes choosing really difficult test routes for learners and he always has his pen near the test report as if he is marking down faults, which can lower the learners confidence.
Is there anything you struggle on? like speed limits, junctions (giving way) reverse exercises e.c.t?

I'm not good with junctions and roundabouts. I haven't booked my test yet, not ready, and it will be my first test. What time would you say is the quietest time for traffic in southport? I heard 11am but wanted to hear a second opinion.

Where do you live and who's your instructor, out of curiosity?
Reply 11
I'm not good with junctions and roundabouts. I haven't booked my test yet, not ready, and it will be my first test. What time would you say is the quietest time for traffic in southport? I heard 11am but wanted to hear a second opinion.

Where do you live and who's your instructor, out of curiosity?

I live in Skelmersdale. My first instructor was Arthur Turner, (drove a Toyota yaris) he had some of the best pass rates in town but unfortunately he became ill and had to give up teaching.
My second instructor who I passed with is Dave Pennington who drives a mini cooper, (fun car to drive.) He has a really relaxed approach to things and helps you to learn as much as possible in a short time period.

No lessons are carried out at 11am, the nearest one to 11am is 10:44am which means you'll arrive back at the test centre about 11:30am. I had my first test at that time (10:44am) Traffic was rather busy but I suppose it depends on the test route your taken on. If your test route goes along the coast (near the sea,arcades.e.c.t. then you should be okay.

Never go for around 9am though! Traffic is chaos, lots more hazards about that can cause things to go wrong. I have had lessons at that time and its just manic. Also 3:30pm onwards is a bad time for the test as traffic is very busy and kids are out of school running out onto roads.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12

Don`t hit a speed bump or you`ll be blaming your minors on the fact that his pen slipped when hovering over the test report
I had mine in Southport last March, I think it was 11.31am (to be precise!) I had lovely woman (although I cannot remember her name) and I passed with 2 minors. I don't really think it's the route though, as long as you've been driving the general area and know all the things that could possible trip you up.

Good luck!
Reply 14
i see people asking when the roads would have less traffic! a point to make is your test is only 40 minutes long no matter how long your sitting in traffic!! if the roads are empty then you will have to drive for 40 minutes going through many roundabouts, junctions and different speed zones! were as in heavy traffic you may only get a few blocks away from the test centre before the examiner asks you to return because he would need to return for his next test student! in heavy traffic you wouldn`t need to worry about you speed just your distance, positioning and observations! its something to think about before you book a time!
Reply 15
He likes choosing really difficult test routes for learners
Rubbish. Every examiner has to use all routes in rotation and their choice of routes is monitored.

Given that routes are designed to be as uniform as possible and contain roughly the same amount of "hotspots", if you find any given route "difficult", you're not ready for the road. After all, what if your satnav takes you there?
Original post by disco01
i see people asking when the roads would have less traffic! a point to make is your test is only 40 minutes long no matter how long your sitting in traffic!! if the roads are empty then you will have to drive for 40 minutes going through many roundabouts, junctions and different speed zones! were as in heavy traffic you may only get a few blocks away from the test centre before the examiner asks you to return because he would need to return for his next test student! in heavy traffic you wouldn`t need to worry about you speed just your distance, positioning and observations! its something to think about before you book a time!

Fair point but I get much more stressed out in heavy traffic and I think more can go wrong as it's harder when you do go to junctions, and test conditions put me on edge as it is.

I failed mine today and I only got Roy ffing Wong, he was so gay :angry: Even my instructor admits he's not the friendliest examiner. I failed for nearly hitting someone in Lord st and hitting the kerb in the parallel park :frown: I just hope I get someone nice next time.
Reply 18
I failed mine today and I only got Roy ffing Wong, he was so gay :angry: Even my instructor admits he's not the friendliest examiner. I failed for nearly hitting someone in Lord st and hitting the kerb in the parallel park :frown: I just hope I get someone nice next time.

No doubt when he's in china he goes out drifting at night- some examiners really do have a bloody cheek to crit people's driving. :biggrin: Anyway atleast you know you cannot go much more WONG next time. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19

The person who started this thread ''Berryboysh'' is actually me, under a different username. i failed my first test in January of this year but passed 2weeks later on test 2 with John Hastings. my first test on which i failed was with Roy Wong.

he gets very impatient and moody he made me nervous, hence the reason i think i failed.,

I failed with Roy, also for hitting a kerb during a parralel park exercise and also he claimed i nearly ran someone over on a zebra crossing, he slammed the car to a stop, i was nowhere near in range of mowing him down.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending