The Student Room Group

Peugeot 206 drivers - the clutch

Hey, I know clutches vary between every car but I'd just like to know if anyone else who drives a 206 (or any other car) has a similar clutch to mine. What I mean is my clutch on my car is how I would describe as very "spring". What I mean is is that when I lift my foot off the clutch the clutch springs up really quickly and I'm finding it hard to get used to compared to my driving instructors clutch which is an 07 Ford Fiesta. If I press down my clutch and quickly take away my foot the clutch slams back up extremely quickly and so I'd like to know if it is possible to adjust it so that it comes up slower and more smoothly?

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
I have this same problem with my Peugeot 107, it makes not using your hand break on hills difficult! And I switched from a fiesta recently
Reply 2
Original post by amie05
I have this same problem with my Peugeot 107, it makes not using your hand break on hills difficult! And I switched from a fiesta recently

Exactly, I get really nervous on hill starts as they're so difficult with my clutch :frown:
Reply 3
You just need to develop your leg muscles a little more. I drove a Land Rover for a year and if you think the clutch in your cars is heavy then try driving that. It made driving in wellies and boots really easy (what it was designed for) but it made traffic jams into a serious workout. I now drive a 40 year old Morris Minor and the clutch is lighter, although still not as light as modern cars as its mechanical and has no power assistance at all.

Almost all the threads on this forum relate to people driving cars they haven't driven before, or have just recently switched to. A part of driving is being able to adapt to whatever vehicle you're driving. You just need to get out there and practice, nothing anyone on a forum can tell you will help other than just getting used to how your car works. Being able to get in any car and drive faultlessly comes with time and experience - nothing else.
Reply 4
I'm not trying to sound aggressive here but I think you missed the point of my post. All I'm asking is if it's possible to get clutch adjusted to the way I'd like it to be? I appreciate your input but I want to be able to enjoy my driving to the full, not have to learn to enjoy it if I can make it so
Reply 5
Original post by Reptilia
I'm not trying to sound aggressive here but I think you missed the point of my post. All I'm asking is if it's possible to get clutch adjusted to the way I'd like it to be? I appreciate your input but I want to be able to enjoy my driving to the full, not have to learn to enjoy it if I can make it so

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to adjust your clutch. Just suck it up and get used to it. You'll drive hundreds of cars in your life so you're going to have to get used to cars being different from each other at some point. That said, with a quick Google search (which would have been very possible for you to do yourself, but no one seems to be able to use Google any more :rolleyes:) reveals that cheaper Peugeots suffer badly from heavy clutches full stop because they use cables rather than hydraulics, but very heavy clutches can be a symptom of a worn clutch cable. Fords tend to use hydraulic clutches rather than mechanical ones which is why the car you learned to drive in had a light clutch. New clutch cables are cheap and easy to fit. If the bite point is near the top of the clutch travel (i.e. your foot is nearly off the pedal before it bites) and it is very stiff this can be a symptom of the clutch on the way out which means serious £££. I don't mean to sound like a dick but Google really does save everyone else from having to do your work for you. Obviously it can't solve everything but it took me less than 10 seconds to find an answer to your question.
Reply 6
I have googled but I can't find anything to do with my question. You saying about chain and hydraulic breaks may have answered so cheers
Reply 7
I have googled but I can't find anything to do with my question. You saying about chain and hydraulic breaks may have answered so cheers

I've said nothing about chains or brakes? Most modern cars use a hydraulic system to link the clutch pedal to the clutch plates in the gearbox, often with power assistance to help lower the effort needed to depress the clutch. Many cheaper or older front wheel drive cars use a cable (like how the brakes on your bike work) to move the clutch lever on the gearbox when you press the clutch. Obviously a cable isn't as efficient as an unassisted hydraulic system, let alone a powered one, so cable clutches often feel much heavier than hydraulic ones. There's nothing you can really do about this other than fit a new cable and keep it maintained and lubricated.
Reply 8
sorry i meant clutches not breaks
Reply 9
sorry i meant clutches not breaks

Switch to a Renault Clio or Vauxhall Corsa.

I have my second practical on Tuesday and I'm confident I'll pass. Anyway I'm considering getting either the clio or corsa as they are both fun car that are one of the cheapest to get insured on
Original post by berryboysh
Switch to a Renault Clio or Vauxhall Corsa.

I have my second practical on Tuesday and I'm confident I'll pass. Anyway I'm considering getting either the clio or corsa as they are both fun car that are one of the cheapest to get insured on

Judging by the pictures you chose you're also going to have speakers that are more powerful than the car
Reply 11
Original post by SolarElephant
Judging by the pictures you chose you're also going to have speakers that are more powerful than the car

My Bro has a 1000 watt sub woofer but once his baby arrives I doubt he'll really use it so I may get that of him or go and buy myself a 2000 sub woofer.
However I will keep the music on a low when at busy junctions, through quiet neighbourhood late at night, Motorway driving. e.c.t.

In summer though..damn! down the beach blasting out LL Cool J's finest!!
Reply 12
tbh i want to get a newer car. my peugeot 206 is a 52reg 1.4 with only 50,000 miles, bumps, a couple of minor scratches in a brilliant condition and only cost me £700. if i bought this from a dealer or off ebay/autotrader it would have cost between £2000-£2500. the fact i got it so cheap (my dads friend was offered £700 for a part-ex so i offered the money instead) and it was such a bargain means my parents won't let me sell it because they're saying it was too good to let go. i want to sell it and get a newer car or something that is just more upto date in its mechanics i.e. with a hydraulic clutch but unfortunately i'm not able to do that.
Original post by berryboysh
My Bro has a 1000 watt sub woofer but once his baby arrives I doubt he'll really use it so I may get that of him or go and buy myself a 2000 sub woofer.
However I will keep the music on a low when at busy junctions, through quiet neighbourhood late at night, Motorway driving. e.c.t.

In summer though..damn! down the beach blasting out LL Cool J's finest!!

You proved me oh so beautifully right
Reply 14
Original post by SolarElephant
You proved me oh so beautifully right

If you change the 'e' in his username to 'a' and stick it into Google, the results will keep you entertained all afternoon :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hi iv just purchased a pergout 206 1.6 after year of driving ford's I do find the cluch very loose and the gears is this comman
Reply 16
Also in citroen ds5 the clutch... it feels like it is bouncing... Idk it just weird compared to the seat Ibiza I had
Mine has a spring loaded clutch too =( Its just something you learn to cope with
Hi I've recently had my clutch replaced but my clutch pedal now feels soft and I'm finding it difficult to find my bite is this normal?
Reply 19
Original post by Sarah8309
Hi I've recently had my clutch replaced but my clutch pedal now feels soft and I'm finding it difficult to find my bite is this normal?

Don't bump old threads.

Quick Reply

Latest