The Student Room Group

How much more difficult is OCR A2 Biology unit F215(unit 5) compared to F214(unit 4)?

How much more difficult is OCR A2 Biology unit F215(unit 5) compared to F214(unit 4)?
In terms of length, content difficulty, exam questions difficulty, exam preparation, etc.

Also, to those who got A/A* in unit 5, which book/books did you learn all your content from?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump..
Reply 2
i'd like to know the answer to this too :smile:
Cant be much harder tbh - just more content to memorise
Original post by englishman129
Cant be much harder tbh - just more content to memorise

:eek3::eek3:

Much harder. Firstly theres a lot more content. Instead of 4 simple topics, there are 4 quite advances topics. Also theres a lot more depth.

Just make sure you start revision early, such as beginning of May.
Original post by Chunkeymonkey62
:eek3::eek3:

Much harder. Firstly theres a lot more content. Instead of 4 simple topics, there are 4 quite advances topics. Also theres a lot more depth.

Just make sure you start revision early, such as beginning of May.

The content seems A LOT more interesting than all the stuff so far though.. which is a positive. Espicially genetics stuff - love it
F215 is actually easier than F214. If you look at the content, F215 is the old Synoptic and some Unit 5 + Options put into one paper. Where as F214 is the old Unit 4 with some options.

There is far more content in F214 than F215...
The Philipallan Revision conferences are always great with the notes they give and insight :wink:
The Student Unit guides are written by the examiners so that is very good too
Heinemann endorsed OCR book is written by the examiners and seems to be the only one which follows the specification very well
Reply 7
Would agree that F215 is certainly a lot more interesting than F214. It's almost like doing a whole different subject. We're taught them simultaneously, by separate teachers and so have exams for both in the summer. Has anyone got any advice on F214 revision - I find it almost impossible to concentrate on something that I find so dull.
Original post by intellectual1

Heinemann endorsed OCR book is written by the examiners and seems to be the only one which follows the specification very well

I just used this and ended up with an A* :yep:

88/90 for F214 and 150/150 for F215

And I preferred F214 (If that's all the kidney/liver/DNA stuff) and found it far more interesting that F215
Reply 9
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

And I preferred F214 (If that's all the kidney/liver/DNA stuff) and found it far more interesting that F215

Crazy marks! Well done :smile:

Hope you don't mind me asking how you revised? And if you've got any other useful tips, that would be a massive help! Thanks.
Original post by banj0

Original post by banj0
Crazy marks! Well done :smile:

Hope you don't mind me asking how you revised? And if you've got any other useful tips, that would be a massive help! Thanks.

Trust me, it was more down to everyone else doing badly than me doing particularly well :p:

And revision tips :colondollar: I'm not a massive reviser, and I'm just one of those people that can get away with it. I wrote notes on the lessons each evening throughout the year, and understood everything as I went along. When it came to revision I read the textbook, once, maybe twice the night before and that was it. I am the worst person to ask for revision tips from :wink: Sorry :smile:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

It is the only book i'm using...the other books either are out of date or are'nt written by the examiners who actually set the papers! :wink: Which is why you should'nt require any other book.

Also I find that the PhilipAllan Student Unit Guides are immensely useful. Especially for reading a few hours before the exam. Concisely summaries the key facts and even has sections on how to answer the questions and gain the marks.

Out of curiosity...did you do literally every past question paper?

How were your practical marks? :smile: I find it is the Practicals that will make or break my A* or A or god forbid B grade

Chemistry on the other hand is far easier to handle. Biology really does involve so much more effort, deeper thinking, and revision sure does begin much earlier too due to the huge amount of factual content to memorise! :smile:

Out of curiosity...did you do literally every past question paper?

How were your practical marks? :smile: I find it is the Practicals that will make or break my A* or A or god forbid B grade

Chemistry on the other hand is far easier to handle. Biology really does involve so much more effort, deeper thinking, and revision sure does begin much earlier too due to the huge amount of factual content to memorise! :smile:

Errrrm no I didn't do that either :colondollar: (My grades amazed myself too!) We had the specimen papers as mocks in class, and our teachers occasionally set us exam questions as homework, but they formed no part of my revision (although most people swear by doing them, so I don't know how useful they'd have been :dontknow:)

My practicals weren't great. I scraped a B in year 12, and scraped a C in year 13 (so if it wasn't for my high UMS scores in the written exams then I'd never have got an A*)

Chemistry does require understanding, whereas people may argue biology is more about recall. And chemistry does step up for the last unit in year 13, and some of the exam questions in my exam/the specimen were something else! It's all about where your strengths/weaknesses are tbh. Chemistry requires a lot more logic than biology does :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Princestia
In terms of length, content difficulty, exam questions difficulty, exam preparation, etc.

Also, to those who got A/A* in unit 5, which book/books did you learn all your content from?

Thank you

I did unit 5 this january.. (no resit) ...it was F**** hard. probably worst exams of all. the topics are crap and really boring as well..ans lots of stuff to learn..
Exam questions were odd as well.. so exam preparation from any books wouldnt have helped as well.
Make sure you know everything what is in the OCR endorced book .that will get you up to a B. additionally be able to understand everything and have the maic skills to solve odd questions.
Reply 14
Thanks very much to all the posts so far - have been helpful :smile: However, I am not sure what "intellectual1" meant with regards to there being less content in F215 (second unit) compared to F214 (first unit) of A2?

More useful posts from others will also be appreciated :smile:
Thank you
Original post by Princestia
Thanks very much to all the posts so far - have been helpful :smile: However, I am not sure what "intellectual1" meant with regards to there being less content in F215 (second unit) compared to F214 (first unit) of A2?

More useful posts from others will also be appreciated :smile:
Thank you

For F215, you need to know all of F211, F212 and F214, in that sense it is less content as F215 has even more SYNOPTIC assessment especially the Stretch & Challenge questions.

F211
Cell Structure
Cell Membranes
Cell Division, Cell Diversity and Cellular Organisation
Exchange Surfaces and Breathing
Transport in Animals
Transport in Plants (considered as most challenging from examiners reports)

F212
Biological Molecules
Nucleic Acids
Enzymes
Diet and Food Production
Health and Disease
Biodiversity (considered as most the challenging from examiners reports)
Classification
Evolution
Maintaining Biodiversity

F214

Communication (considered to be one of the more challenging topics)
Nerves (the most challenging topics according to examiners reports and past papers)
Hormones
Excretion
Photosynthesis
Respiration

F215

Cellular Control
Meiosis and Variation
Cloning in Plants and Animals
Biotechnology
Genomes and Gene Technologies
Ecosystems
Populations and Sustainability (is considered to be quite challenging for candidates from the examiners reports)
Plant Responses
Animal Responses
Animal Behaviour

F214 is just 1 hour, but has alot of content which can be examined and there is a question on each topic Communication, Nerves, Hormones, Excretion, Photosynthesis and Respiration...

Where F215 is about 30% SYNOPTIC. Which assumes knowledge of F211, F212, F213, F214 and the F216 Practicals too :eek: So it's no suprise virtually everyone retakes AS Biology units.

Biology is not easy at all, but make sure you focus on the hardest topics, as it seems as though in F211 it was all on plants, F212 was all on Biodiversity mostly...one can only hope that June is nicer than the horror of the January papers....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
For F215, you need to know all of F211, F212 and F214, in that sense it is less content as F215 has even more SYNOPTIC assessment especially the Stretch & Challenge questions.

F211
Cell Structure
Cell Membranes
Cell Division, Cell Diversity and Cellular Organisation
Exchange Surfaces and Breathing
Transport in Animals
Transport in Plants (considered as most challenging from examiners reports)

F212
Biological Molecules
Nucleic Acids
Enzymes
Diet and Food Production
Health and Disease
Biodiversity (considered as most the challenging from examiners reports)
Classification
Evolution
Maintaining Biodiversity

F214

Communication (considered to be one of the more challenging topics)
Nerves (the most challenging topics according to examiners reports and past papers)
Hormones
Excretion
Photosynthesis
Respiration

F215

Cellular Control
Meiosis and Variation
Cloning in Plants and Animals
Biotechnology
Genomes and Gene Technologies
Ecosystems
Populations and Sustainability (is considered to be quite challenging for candidates from the examiners reports)
Plant Responses
Animal Responses
Animal Behaviour

F214 is just 1 hour, but has alot of content which can be examined and there is a question on each topic Communication, Nerves, Hormones, Excretion, Photosynthesis and Respiration...

Where F215 is about 30% SYNOPTIC. Which assumes knowledge of F211, F212, F213, F214 and the F216 Practicals too :eek: So it's no suprise virtually everyone retakes AS Biology units.

Biology is not easy at all, but make sure you focus on the hardest topics, as it seems as though in F211 it was all on plants, F212 was all on Biodiversity mostly...one can only hope that June is nicer than the horror of the January papers....

Oh, I see. Thank you. :smile:
However, there is still a lot more content in F215 than in F214, I think as, from your list, the longest topic list is for F215 and most of this is all new topics.
Reply 17
bump... Any more useful posts appreciated :smile:
F215 is actually easier than F214. If you look at the content, F215 is the old Synoptic and some Unit 5 + Options put into one paper. Where as F214 is the old Unit 4 with some options.

The Philipallan Revision conferences are always great with the notes they give and insight :wink:

Respect and rep for knowing your resource material and spending money to get top grades - it's one of the key points I mentioned in my sig! :smile:
Reply 19

Aren't the phillip allan and student unit guides the same books?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending