The Student Room Group

need help - Considering masters in diagnostic radiography(pre-reg)

Hi,

I have just completed a science based degree. I am thinking of doing the masters in diagnostic radiography at Teesside University.

It is a pre-registration postgraduate-level programme which enables development of academic skills to master's level. On completion of the course, I would be able to apply for registration with the Health Professions Council as a diagnostic radiographer.

It is a fast track course.There are a total of three hospital-based practice placements where I would be supervised by qualified radiographers and where I would gain professional practice skills.

The important thing about the course is that it is accredited with the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the College of Radiographers.

I just wanted to ask if anyone here is thinking about doing the course, and are the career prospects really good for a degree in diagnostic radiography. Would it matter that I have a masters in diagnostic radiography, rather than a Honours degree.
Original post by firestar101
Hi,

I have just completed a science based degree. I am thinking of doing the masters in diagnostic radiography at Teesside University.

It is a pre-registration postgraduate-level programme which enables development of academic skills to master's level. On completion of the course, I would be able to apply for registration with the Health Professions Council as a diagnostic radiographer.

It is a fast track course.There are a total of three hospital-based practice placements where I would be supervised by qualified radiographers and where I would gain professional practice skills.

The important thing about the course is that it is accredited with the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the College of Radiographers.

I just wanted to ask if anyone here is thinking about doing the course, and are the career prospects really good for a degree in diagnostic radiography. Would it matter that I have a masters in diagnostic radiography, rather than a Honours degree.

Hey there, we are kind of in the same boat!

I emailed teeside about this course but they never got back to me..:frown: Do you know when the deadline is? I am feeling the same about whether to do the fast track MSc or the BSc in radiography...:/ What's another year though for the BSc..and it would prob be more in depth.. I have ucas open for 2011 BSc entry, but i haven't sent my app yet as i'm trying to weigh up all my options. I'm also 23 and graduated from a science-based degree, 2008. Saw your other post about work exp...I'm having trouble getting some too because i'm not in education (insurance probs) but i'm from NI so it could be that we're v. strict about it - as other mature applicants on this board from england said theyd no probs. I manged to speak to 2 radiographers though who were lovely and said they would have me shadowing no prob, but the insurance thing is a tricky thing to get around :/ You have to apply to the hospital board in charge of work placements and they'll do their best to accomodate you. All I can do is wait now..so 2012 entry is looking more realistic grr :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by FaceyFacerton
Hey there, we are kind of in the same boat!

I emailed teeside about this course but they never got back to me..:frown: Do you know when the deadline is? I am feeling the same about whether to do the fast track MSc or the BSc in radiography...:/ What's another year though for the BSc..and it would prob be more in depth.. I have ucas open for 2011 BSc entry, but i haven't sent my app yet as i'm trying to weigh up all my options. I'm also 23 and graduated from a science-based degree, 2008. Saw your other post about work exp...I'm having trouble getting some too because i'm not in education (insurance probs) but i'm from NI so it could be that we're v. strict about it - as other mature applicants on this board from england said theyd no probs. I manged to speak to 2 radiographers though who were lovely and said they would have me shadowing no prob, but the insurance thing is a tricky thing to get around :/ You have to apply to the hospital board in charge of work placements and they'll do their best to accomodate you. All I can do is wait now..so 2012 entry is looking more realistic grr :frown:

Hey,

I am not sure when the deadline is, but I am told they will be interviewing in June, July and late August for the course.

They have 16 places available for this programme which commences in January.

Last year, there were 40 applications received , though this year they have received more at this stage. It may be due to changes in government funding proposals for Higher education.

What was your degree in? Are you working at the moment?

I took a degree in medicinal chemistry. I am applying for medicine this year, and I already have an unconditional offer for pharmacy.

Also, I need to arrange work experience for radiography. I spoke to a radiographer yesterday who said I can come in for 1 day to look around and see what radiographers do. At least it is a good start. Still need to arrange more experience though.
Hey,

I am not sure when the deadline is, but I am told they will be interviewing in June, July and late August for the course.

They have 16 places available for this programme which commences in January.

Last year, there were 40 applications received , though this year they have received more at this stage. It may be due to changes in government funding proposals for Higher education.

What was your degree in? Are you working at the moment?

I took a degree in medicinal chemistry. I am applying for medicine this year, and I already have an unconditional offer for pharmacy.

Also, I need to arrange work experience for radiography. I spoke to a radiographer yesterday who said I can come in for 1 day to look around and see what radiographers do. At least it is a good start. Still need to arrange more experience though.

I suppose with the way things are entry will be competitive for the MSc.. I guess if interviews are then the cut off could be the end of March...I've noticed some MSc programs use that cut off. My degree was Psychology and I'm working in a health care setting at the moment. What about yourself - are you working?

Congrats about the unconditional for pharmacy (I take it you've applied for radiography as well in your ucas? Have you heard anything back?) I emailed a few unis and some said experience was preferred but they would still consider an application without it...I still haven't sent my ucas :/. Good luck with your medicine application, your original degree seems like a good foundation for it - when do you find out? Are you applying for grad entry or undergrad? I take it medicine would be your preferred choice?
Reply 4
I suppose with the way things are entry will be competitive for the MSc.. I guess if interviews are then the cut off could be the end of March...I've noticed some MSc programs use that cut off. My degree was Psychology and I'm working in a health care setting at the moment. What about yourself - are you working?

Congrats about the unconditional for pharmacy (I take it you've applied for radiography as well in your ucas? Have you heard anything back?) I emailed a few unis and some said experience was preferred but they would still consider an application without it...I still haven't sent my ucas :/. Good luck with your medicine application, your original degree seems like a good foundation for it - when do you find out? Are you applying for grad entry or undergrad? I take it medicine would be your preferred choice?

Yeah. Medicine would be my preferred choice. It is extremely competitive though. I have applied for undergrad, as I am based in Scotland and there are no graduate entry courses over there.

At the moment, I am just volunteering in a hospital with patients with dementia. I did not apply for radiography through ucas, but I will probably apply to the masters course at teesside uni once I get some work experience.

Thanks. I hope you get into radiography. I'm just keeping my options open at the moment. I always have the unconditional for pharmacy to fall back on if I do not get into medicine or radiography.
Yeah. Medicine would be my preferred choice. It is extremely competitive though. I have applied for undergrad, as I am based in Scotland and there are no graduate entry courses over there.

At the moment, I am just volunteering in a hospital with patients with dementia. I did not apply for radiography through ucas, but I will probably apply to the masters course at teesside uni once I get some work experience.

Thanks. I hope you get into radiography. I'm just keeping my options open at the moment. I always have the unconditional for pharmacy to fall back on if I do not get into medicine or radiography.

Hey, can't remember if you had said which year you'd finished your degree... I ask because Teeside want evidence of recent study within the last 3 years. I got an email back from them today and they said because I graduated in 2008 and would be applying for 2012 entry they'd need evidence of more recent study :s-smilie: (I would have to do course in anatomy or physics).
Reply 6
Hey, can't remember if you had said which year you'd finished your degree... I ask because Teeside want evidence of recent study within the last 3 years. I got an email back from them today and they said because I graduated in 2008 and would be applying for 2012 entry they'd need evidence of more recent study :s-smilie: (I would have to do course in anatomy or physics).

Hey, I graduated in 2010. So, it is quite recent. So, are you still applying for the course or are you going on to do something else.
Hey, I graduated in 2010. So, it is quite recent. So, are you still applying for the course or are you going on to do something else.

That's good, you'll be grand then. Best of luck to you. I wont be applying for it or for the BSc 2011 entry. I still haven't had my work experience and I'd feel I was rushing with everything (application, references, bursary).. I'm worried now that if I apply for undergrad radiography for ucas 2012 they'll consider my qualifications out of date :confused:.
Reply 8
That's good, you'll be grand then. Best of luck to you. I wont be applying for it or for the BSc 2011 entry. I still haven't had my work experience and I'd feel I was rushing with everything (application, references, bursary).. I'm worried now that if I apply for undergrad radiography for ucas 2012 they'll consider my qualifications out of date :confused:.

Also, the fees are going up in 2012 to 9000 pounds.
Hi, did anyone in this thread go on to do the radiography Msc and if so where at? I'm looking into it atm, I'm a second year Biomedical scientist at Newcastle uni :smile:
Hey :smile:
I’m interested in doing the MSc diagnostic radiography course. I’m a final year biomedical science student. Is anyone applying for the sept 2021 intake to @Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh and Teeside uni?
Reply 11
Original post by Lightdn20
Hey :smile:
I’m interested in doing the MSc diagnostic radiography course. I’m a final year biomedical science student. Is anyone applying for the sept 2021 intake to @Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh and Teeside uni?

Have you got any interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest