The Student Room Group

Revision guide for GCSE German?

Hi, I'm nearing my GCSE exams that are in June and am starting to compile my revision guides.

I have them for most subjects, e.g. CGP revision guides for AQA triple science which are amazing!

But I fail to find any 'CGP-type' books for German (I'm doing AQA German Higher Tier). I found a textbook, directly for that specification though.

Are there any 'gems' that anyone has found for revision for GCSE German AQA?
Has your teacher given you a set of questions for each topic area to answer and use to prepare for your speaking exam?

If yes, revise those - they will help you in not only the speaking exam, but also in the writing exam.

I got 40/40 in writing and 40/40 in speaking and all I did was revise those answers / take the main points from each one and then develop them at the spot.

EDIT: i did these exams in June 2010, and am doing German AS now (did AQA German GCSE)
Reply 2
I'm doing AQA aswell , 60% of it is controlled assesments which your not struggling with i'm guessing? For reading just do past papers and listening listen to German radio or movies ect :wink: Not sure what else you can do I got an AQA revision book and it was terrible
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hi, I'm nearing my GCSE exams that are in June and am starting to compile my revision guides.

I have them for most subjects, e.g. CGP revision guides for AQA triple science which are amazing!

But I fail to find any 'CGP-type' books for German (I'm doing AQA German Higher Tier). I found a textbook, directly for that specification though.

Are there any 'gems' that anyone has found for revision for GCSE German AQA?

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productList.asp?list=gcse_german
CGP GCSE German books.
/thread.
Reply 4
Original post by mmckn
I'm doing AQA aswell , 60% of it is controlled assesments which your not struggling with i'm guessing? For reading just do past papers and listening listen to German radio or movies ect :wink: Not sure what else you can do I got an AQA revision book and it was terrible

Yes I am doing the same specification as you. It's not the Controlled Assessment I struggle with (averaged 29/30 though.) But the Listening I just don't understand really, they speak too fast :/ What is the content of the revision book?
Reply 5
Original post by thegodofgod
Has your teacher given you a set of questions for each topic area to answer and use to prepare for your speaking exam?

If yes, revise those - they will help you in not only the speaking exam, but also in the writing exam.

I got 40/40 in writing and 40/40 in speaking and all I did was revise those answers / take the main points from each one and then develop them at the spot.

EDIT: i did these exams in June 2010, and am doing German AS now (did AQA German GCSE)

Well they've changed the specification a bit I think. As we get a topic, and 5 related questions to expand upon (50-80words each). We do 2 writing and 2 speaking (amounting to 60%) then the usual listening/reading worth 20% each. I'm just really worried about the listening/reading (as my mocks wern't too great from reading, don't know how, but scraped an A* for my reading, but got a mid E for listening - sounds absurd I know).
I used this book. I got an A which is pretty decent considering how bad my teacher was. It's written in a style similar to CGP and is very readable.
Reply 7
Yes I am doing the same specification as you. It's not the Controlled Assessment I struggle with (averaged 29/30 though.) But the Listening I just don't understand really, they speak too fast :/ What is the content of the revision book?

It was on Grammar. I know what you mean listening is a pain, but I found the best way to improve was to listen to german music, Radio and movies ect There's not much else you can do. :frown:
Well they've changed the specification a bit I think. As we get a topic, and 5 related questions to expand upon (50-80words each). We do 2 writing and 2 speaking (amounting to 60%) then the usual listening/reading worth 20% each. I'm just really worried about the listening/reading (as my mocks wern't too great from reading, don't know how, but scraped an A* for my reading, but got a mid E for listening - sounds absurd I know).

most of the time the problem with the listening is the weird words that AQA like to put in sometimes which you've never even heard of before.

try to improve your vocab as much as you can - learn 5 new words each day, it will do wonders :smile:

also for listening try listening to german radio stations (news) but on slow speed - that'll help you loads as well

and of course, PAST PAPERS :tongue:
good luck :smile:
do we need to know how to use grammar in reading and listening?
Original post by thepastpaper
do we need to know how to use grammar in reading and listening?

Technically yes because grammar is part of knowing what's been said or written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending