The Student Room Group

Engineering uni transfer

I've spoken to 5 different people, and they have all given different answers so don't really know.

I'm planning on firming Southampton for Mechanical Engineering with Aerospace if I don't get into Imperial which I'm really happy about. The thing is I get bored of places really easily, and so how easy is it to transfer unis for your masters?

I plan to do 3 of the 4 years at Southampton before transferring to Imperial probably for my final forth year. Is this at all possible or worth it?

Helpful replies will be given a thumbs up.
I don't think it's possible to transfer universities for the final year of the MEng as universities will usually require you to have completed at least half of your undergraduate studies at that institution before awarding you a degree.
Reply 2
It's not so much the universities not allowing transfers directly into the final year, it's the professional bodies that require a certain period of study at the awarding university.

When you talk about your masters you don't specify whether its an MEng or MSc. The MEng (120 credits at L7) is treated as an undergraduate course for all 4 years and thus, universities will not be to forthcoming in allowing you to transfer in, with the new funding implications (my university are not taking any direct entries from home/EU students this coming year for any point of entry other than Year 1!!!). With an MSc (180 credits at L7) it's a postgraduate programme and transfers in are easy to organise.

Quick Reply

Latest