The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Russian at A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
At the end of the day they are both good subjects. Although I suppose for a maths degree you'd be better taking chemistry. Although I have a bias towards it as you can see =P.
Original post by alexs2602
Admittedly I havent done the whole of A level chem yet but so far its a piece of piss. I've just started a unit that's supposed to be harder and though I've only done one lesson its just as easy.

If you're doing AS level chemistry, it gets harder. A lot harder.
If you're doing A2 level chemistry, well done. You're lucky to find it easy. The vast majority of people would disagree with your description 'its a piece of piss.'
Reply 42
Original post by und
Unfortunately, six AS levels would not fit into my timetable. In fact, I'd need to find an extra four periods a week to fit it in :smile:. Would you say that Chemistry is useful, despire being boring. I'm well aware of the fact that they lie to us, and our teachers even tell us sometimes :rolleyes:.

It's only useful if it's a requirement for your degree, if you want to do Medicine/Dentistry/Vet Med/Biomed etc. Otherwise, hell no. You're much better off with something that shows you've got skills other than merely numbers and science, you need something that shows linguistic and artistic ability, and transferable skills.
Reply 43
According to my school website, 10 out of 59 got A*, and another 29 got A in chemistry at A2 level. With Russian, 6 out of 9 got A* and the others got A. Going by the statistics, Russian does seem a lot easier.

Would Russian still be as impressive as Chemistry?
Original post by Upside Down
If you're doing AS level chemistry, it gets harder. A lot harder.
If you're doing A2 level chemistry, well done. You're lucky to find it easy. The vast majority of people would disagree with your description 'its a piece of piss.'

I had to pick up a third subject since I'm selfstudying my third A level and decided to go with chem. Fair enough, the reason I understand it so well is largely down to my mathematical understanding and ability. I missed the first two weeks of this unit's lessons pretty much and jumped in at substitution reactions - alkanes with halogens - and was introduced to ethyl radicals, it really wasnt that hard to understand. People in my class are dumb, they had difficulty with the first unit.
Original post by und
What do you mean when you write that Chemistry A level is different from GCSE? Why is it 'awesome'?

Everyone else here pretty much hit the nail on the head :P Most of GCSE Chemistry is a lie, so if you took it, you'd have to forget some stuff you learnt, and re-learn a bunch of new concepts.

And I dunno about the Edexcel course (I do AQA), but it's a lot more based in logic, and having to think through problems. I hardly have to learn anything by memorising (again, this could be course-specific), as most of the facts are linked together.
Reply 46
Original post by Kidneyjean
Everyone else here pretty much hit the nail on the head :P Most of GCSE Chemistry is a lie, so if you took it, you'd have to forget some stuff you learnt, and re-learn a bunch of new concepts.

And I dunno about the Edexcel course (I do AQA), but it's a lot more based in logic, and having to think through problems. I hardly have to learn anything by memorising (again, this could be course-specific), as most of the facts are linked together.

A bit like Maths then, is it?
Original post by alexs2602
I had to pick up a third subject since I'm selfstudying my third A level and decided to go with chem. Fair enough, the reason I understand it so well is largely down to my mathematical understanding and ability. I missed the first two weeks of this unit's lessons pretty much and jumped in at substitution reactions - alkanes with halogens - and was introduced to ethyl radicals, it really wasnt that hard to understand. People in my class are dumb, they had difficulty with the first unit.

Yeh I agree about mathematical understanding. I do maths and further maths and it has definitely helped me to pick up chemical concepts.
The reason chemistry is seen as a difficult subject at A level is because it is often taught in quite a disjointed manner, meaning that it often feels like you are memorising lots of reaction that do not inter-relate. When in fact, they do.
Halogen/alkane substitution reactions and free radicals are pretty simple I agree. Organic chem gets more complex than that though. Those people who struggled with the first unit will probably fail their exams. It's never a good sign if you can't handle 'unit one' of any syllabus of any subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by und
I'm currently in year 11, and in the process of deciding what my AS levels will be next year. I plan to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics (all required or useful for a Maths degree), but am not sure whether I should choose Chemistry or Russian as my fourth AS level. Whichever I choose, I will be taking it to A2 for obvious reasons.

I would say I enjoy them equally, and am probably just as likely to get A* in both. My concern with Chemistry is that the combination of subjects will be too focussed on the science side of things, with nothing else to make me a rounded candidate. However, I'm not too sure if admissions tutors at top universities like Cambridge, Imperial and Warwick would look at it more favourably than Russian due to its mathematical content.

I'm sure people on these forums have had much more experience than me, choosing their A levels and going through the university admissions process.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice I may receive.

I know a lad who did Physics at Oxford with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Media as his four subjects.
Original post by Upside Down
Yeh I agree about mathematical understanding. I do maths and further maths and it has definitely helped me to pick up chemical concepts.
The reason chemistry is seen as a difficult subject at A level is because it is often taught in quite a disjointed manner, meaning that it often feels like you are memorising lots of reaction that do not inter-relate. When in fact, they do.
Halogen/alkane substitution reactions and free radicals are pretty simple I agree. Organic chem gets more complex than that though. Those people who struggled with the first unit will probably fail their exams. It's never a good sign if you can't handle 'unit one' of any syllabus of any subject.

So far it's all been rather 'jointed' to me. I have a pretty great chem teacher plus my mathematical and scientific reasoning helps a lot. I'm doing FM too, it's my selftaught A level :tongue:

These people had trouble working out how to balance equations, work out moles and likely bonding structures of molecules which is highly mathematical but relatively simple. I corrected them often. Granted I had trouble with a moles question on my january exam but that was because i hadn't come across that kind of Q before.
Reply 50
Hey there,
I've been studying AS level chemistry since September, and am now onto Unit 2. If you want an idea of what I'm studying, drop me a pm. But generally, I find it an enjoyable challenge- I don't always understand all the concepts first time around, so I have to use my notes and revise hard! But it is an enjoyable subject nonetheless. :smile:
You're not Russian (even partially) are you? Universities aren't going to be impressed with an A-Level in a 'foreign' language you grew up learning. I'm sure you knew this, so doubt it would be the case, but if it is, I would choose Chemistry.
Original post by und
A bit like Maths then, is it?

Now that I think about it, yeah, kind of :smile: Except I find that you have to work harder to understand the links between things, as Upside Down said, it feels like you're being taught things that don't relate to each other, when they actually do. Also, you have to be able to concisely explain why things relate to each other in writing (something not really covered in maths).

Of course there's still the inevitable "Why is this bad for the environment?" crap, but nowhere near as much as in GCSE.
Reply 53
Original post by porkstein
You're not Russian (even partially) are you? Universities aren't going to be impressed with an A-Level in a 'foreign' language you grew up learning. I'm sure you knew this, so doubt it would be the case, but if it is, I would choose Chemistry.

I'm certainly not Russian in any way. How do they even check though?

Anyway, that's kind of beside the point of whether Russian or Chemistry would impress admissions officers more, and which would be more useful. I'm quite worried that I have to decide in two days' time and I have absolutely no clue :s-smilie:.
Up to you; I'd prefer Russian, but you may want to consider whether you'll have a change of heart and opt for chem eng. or something. Chem will probably keep your options open for that.
Original post by tajmahal

languages are considered softer subjects

:curious:

I'd personally do chemistry, as I tried Russian and was pretty damn awful at it, however I'd probably say to you to Russian as it gives more of a range, and it could assist you in speaking that language fluently, always a useful skill to have.
Reply 56
In the longer term, is it likely that I would forget Russian if I didn't use it? It would be quite awful if I forgot something I put a lot of effort into after a few years.
Russian, Russian, Russian :dance:

They all love a bit of variation in your subject choices :yep:
Original post by und
I'm certainly not Russian in any way. How do they even check though?

Anyway, that's kind of beside the point of whether Russian or Chemistry would impress admissions officers more, and which would be more useful. I'm quite worried that I have to decide in two days' time and I have absolutely no clue :s-smilie:.

If you're equally as good at both I'd choose chemistry. I'm not sure exactly, as it doesn't affect me, but I think that in some universities futher maths is not seen as a whole A-Level. In this case you'd only really have one other science, so maybe doing chemistry would be better?

What kind of universities are you planning to apply to? Maths at Oxbridge/Warwick etc. is so competitive that it might be better to stick with a safe choice. Also, they probably would exclude Russian from your offer.
languages are considered softer subjects...

No, they aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest